Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Basses Has Anyone ever Heard of Them

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blake Bass, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I found a website www.dpcustom.com it features some really nice looking custom neck through basses. The prices are unbelieveably low. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these basses?

Blake

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    do a search. u'll find a lot.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    +1. Do a search for "Pushic" and prepare to read a lot.

4. Did a search and didn't have to read very far to find out why the prices are so low. If it seems to good to be true....

Sorry for bringing up a topic that has already been exhausted here.
    I'll search first next time.

5. Read farther. It's the same reason a Yugo is unbelievably cheap compared to a Maserati. Except Yugos actually functioned.

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    now now, don't be harsh :D

haha. i advise you save up an extra 600 bucks and get a stambaugh.

7. +1 (...make that +3) :D

8. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I'm going to respectfully disagree for the prevailing opinion expressed here with the other posts. When I bought one of his early model 5 strings, it wasn't playable for me when I got it. But that was b/c I wasn't specific enough with my specs. I live about 90 miles from him, so when we met, he worked very hard & diligently with me to satisfy my requirements. The instrument did NOT turn out to be 'picture-perfect' in terms of fine finish detail. However, when we were done, it turned out to be the best sounding bass I've ever owned, period. It had 2 of some sort of generic humbucking PUPS & it was completely passive. I had him wire a series/parallel miniswitch in it. This bass was ALIVE with the bridge PUP soloed, plus it was deeeeeep with both PUP's full on in series. The only reason why I traded it away (for a pair of Edens 110CXL cabs) is because I ordered it with a 35" scale, again my fault! For most people this wouldn't be a big deal. For me, however, I end up reading on a fair amount of my gigs, meaning that I cannot look at the neck while I play. I have spent so much time playing a 34" scale that I had a very difficult time not playing clams a 1/2 step lower or higher. I have personally seen more recent examples of his workmanship, and while it's not 'Roscoe-like' meticulus, it has improved greatly since he built mine. Here's my take: If you decide to order one be very sure of what you want. Give Dave specific measurements about what you want in terms of neck dimensions (thickness, width, & taper) and in the action at the nut, 12th fret and the fret that meets the body. (24th, 22nd, 21st, 20th depending on which note you want as the highest note. That's also an important decision also. If you go for a 2 octave neck, the low 'money-making' notes are going to be further from your body & the body of the bass.) Do not go crazy on your choices of wood and/ or finish. Also, do not go nuts over a thousand electronic options. Lastly, if you are not somewhat of a veteran bassist, don't consider any custom built bass ( from Dave P or anyone else) that does not closely match one of the brand-name instruments, Fender, Musicman, Warwick, etc, etc. If you need to feel customized, pimp out an SX or something. (BTW: I did pimp out fretless SX P-clone with Graphteck Piezos & TI Acousticore string and it SINGS!) If you know exactly what you want and can supply specific data to Dave, he can build you a bass that will sound great.

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    this is a good point. trying your own pickup config is never a good idea. definitely good to build off of what another manufacturer is doing/you like.

dual humbuckers are always nice, and my bass is using the dingwall/roscoe layout. i'd say thats a solid way to go. :)

some of this depends on the builder though. guys liek chris stambaugh can really get that tone your looking for, you dont have to know what woods/pickups you want. neck specs are important though, and i wouldnt advise getting anything thats radically different from what your used to unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure.

hence the reason i'll be sticking with a 34" scale, 22-24 fret with dimensions extremely similar to my ibanez neck, only a tiny tiny bit wider string spacing/fretboard width.

10. Bill ,

Thanks for your input (and everyone else too) I am a veteran bassist, fulltime pro player for twenty years now. I own three Rosoce 5's, and WAS considering the DP for a 6 string. But I think I've been convinced by the advice of my fellow TBer's to stay with the Roscoe's.

Blake

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill probably regret this but, i tihnk his basses look relaly nice, are they really that bad?

12. The basses do look really nice on the website. That's what got me interested. But since I've never seen or played one I'm staying away from them. ( Not to mention the TB info) You must admit the price is tempting though.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Actually, the last couple of Pushics that have been shown on this site have been very aesthetic, IMO. I haven't liked his work visually as much as, say, a Nordstrand, but he still has some attractive designs. The killer, of course, is the terrible build quality.

14. There are some other luthiers out there that'll do a REALLY nice neck-thru for you, if you prefer those. Might have some news about one for me real soon....:hyper:

15. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Not a once.

16. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    There are a few people who have owned DP's on this board, and they have varied opinions. You might want to try and contact them individually because opening a DP thread can be very dangerous.

17. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    Someone in the past has mentioned that it's more of a "homemade bass than a custom bass". I sadly found that to be true. I sold mine immediately after getting it and sending it back for fixes for fundamental problems and took a $400 loss in the sale (if that tells you anything).

I don't think he has had any formal luthier training. I would never recommend anyone spending their money with this fellow when there's plenty of others out there for almost the same price by the time you're done fixing it just to play. You'd even be better off buying a Fender American.