Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Custom 6 String Buckeye Burl $1200 shipped

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by lwleaver, Sep 20, 2002.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a Dave Pushic 6 String bass for sale. This bass can also be seen on the www.dpcustom.com website under the gallery page. Last I saw she was the bass on the botom. It has a buckeye Burl top, claro walnut back, and Mahogany core. Birdseye maple fretboard, and wenge maple neck. Bartolini Quad coils, well let's just say the list goes on. I need to sell this baby for some dire financial reasons. I have only had her for 2 weeks, if that. So, my asking price is 1200. Below is a link to the website detailing the entire construction process. If you have any questions please e-mail and I will respond ASAP. Thanks.

Landon

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292424375

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, this bass is like a cursed monkey paw or something...someone new has it every time. I'd love to own that bass; only way I could afford it though would be monthly installments, which probably aren't good enough.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My curiosity is really piqued! I would seriously like to know what's wrong with this thing. It's been passed around like a hooker at a frat house. We've all seen the pics and heard the construction tales. Why on earth is it not a keeper???:confused:

4. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    From my research, since I was just as curious, here is my understanding. Jeff ordered it to his specs. He was not happy with a few things, nut, fret job, finish. So, he had them fixed. New bone nut, fret job, etc. He just couldn't deal with the 35" length. Seriously, if he hated it from the start he wouldn't have dumped more money in it. He sold it to a store, a Eric picked it up. He does alot of church gigs and he couldn't get the sound he wanted. Now for me. I bought the bass on a whim, new credit card. It is visually stunning and plays great. I, myself, love the thing. But, my car needs a brake job, rotor sanding, and new tires. I am looking at a big bill, and otherwise can't pay for it unless the DP goes. I could sell other basses, but I would get now where the money as the DP could probably, hopefully, pull in. So, here my personal assessment of the bass. Is it perfect, NO. There are some cosmetic flaws, and you can see that the nut was replaced, and the frets re-done. The finish isn't spectacular, but then again this isn't a Fodera. For the price, which is negotiable, you get a great sounding, solid instrument. Seriously, the options alone on this thing would cost as much on a better known luthier's basses. In this case you get the whole thing. If my car wasn't so important to my job I would keep her in a hearbeat. I will also probably get Dave to build me a bass in the future. I do like the monkey paw analogy, but hooker ina frat house is great!! I even think I had a few of those when I was in college :) I hate to do it, but she may have to go up on evilbay today. I think this bass has a worse reputation that a few of the hookers from my Frat House.

5. Hey, if I could step in here for a moment... There isn't any mystery to this bass. It's condition is being reflected accurately and completely by Landon. It is a unique instrument. It is also a much better bass after I had it worked on than it was when I received it. I also worked on the finish and improved it. The body wood work is very good and the buckeye looks incredible.

This bass could make someone a fine instrument if they are looking for a unique 6 string with a lot of tonal versatility.

Jeff

6. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    In all honesty this is a great bass. But, since no bites in the TB front, which I really have to become more active in, I had to set this gem to the wolves on ebay. It breaks my heart. But, if any TB'ers decide to take her home you get free shipping. Hell if you're close enough I will drive the bass to your door.

7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I must state that both Jeff and Landon are straight up on the Buckeye beast.... It's a KILLER Bass... and really is a unique piece... It's got a great vibe that I found nothing wrong with other than it had one string too many! (let me get a Bible so I can SWEAR I won't buy another 6!)

I had MANY players manhandle it at a get together in Seattle in August and they all thought it was the bomb... It will make someone a happy man (or woman...)

8. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    damn thats such a beautiful axe...i just wish i wasnt broke :(

Joe

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000