DP Custom 6 Vs. Yamaha RBXJM 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    ahh that is the question. i can get either, the Yamaha for about 350$ and the DP for about $500. i only have to pay half. is the DP custom that much better tyhat the yamaha? if dave sees this, email me at alfa665960@aol.com and give me a quote for a 6 with bartolini pickups and electronics and a mohagany body, with a hardshell case. dave, ive heard a lot about your customer service, and i hope you dont mind the question.

also, is anyone aware of a d tuner style device that drops a B string to A and back? i would like one for sonic bombs
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Unless the Yamaha RBXJM is exactly what you want, why not spend a little extra money on a DP Custom and get exactly what you want.

OTOH, $350 seems really cheap for a RBXJM. You could probably buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell it, without taking a loss. And, DP will still be there to build that custom bass for you.

Also, Kenneth Lawrence makes basses with a Hipshot Bass XTender Key on the low B-string. So it has been, and can be done.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to discourage you, but the DP won't be near $500. So, comparing one with your Yamaha is the "apples and oranges" thing. His basic 6 string is $700, with his generic components. Figure about another $400 for 2 Barts and one of their harness, based on the prices I was quoted from various dealers. Then, kick in some more for the hardshell case, because his basses come standard in gig bags to protect during shipping.

As, I said, not to discourage you, just being realistic. Getting a custom can take a lot of homework but the result is better than mass produced basses, IMO.

BTW, I had an email from Dave this morning - he said he won't be available by email as much as usual for several days, so I don't know how much chance he'll have to get here.
  4. mesafan

Jul 24, 2001
    Buy the JM, if you don't like it you can probably sell it for triple the price.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tell it brother! Custom basses can be a slapdash affair, or a labor intesive dive into woods, electronics, and other things. It can take a while. On the other hand, it's worth it! You can get what you want, the way you want it. No, "it's great, but..." about them. If your willing to shell out the time and dough.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dude, wouldn't it make a lot more sense just to e-mail him directly yourself? Go to his site:

and look for contact info.
  7. rickbass

Now that Dave has almost all of the woods for mine, I know more about this stuff than I ever wanted to know.

People who know me think I've flipped, ("...alnico 2 vs, alnico 5...was the wood harvested in winter or summer?...what is the modulus of energy for that wood specie...." :eek: )
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I guess you cant compare a Custom Bass with the Yamaha JM.

In fact "getting what you want" is not actually true.

Why? Because you wont have a clue on how it will play, look and sound after its done.
    You may select the woods, electronics, etc.
    But you dont know if the neck will be really stiff, the sound will be what you were looking for, the playability,overall quality, etc etc.

I guess you should try some basses, and get the one you like the most.
  9. rickbass

You will if you try to understand how the components interact and not just pick out what looks pretty and what sounded good on so-and-so's bass. But, I get a strong impression that is all many people do.
  10. Hey LW, where are you getting a John Myung for $350.00?

Mike J.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No, You may get an "idea" by experience and knowing the properties of the components, but you can never be sure about how it will actually sound.

About how it plays, that depends on the luthier.

After all, I am talking from experience now, and I do have my own DPcustom.
    Also, I didnt get the woods for looks, but for tone reference and combinations.
    I did my homework before selecting the components.
    I shouldnt have put Mahogany in the neck, but well, we all commit mistakes.
  12. rickbass

And why did you select mahogany? Because you looked up it's numerical density, hardness, and MOE ratings, as well as finding reviews of basses with mahogany necks? Or, because it looked good and other people have used it?
  13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I dont know what MOE ratings are, but I did select it because of the warm tone and low midrange sound properties.
    Also for its density, wich I thought that combined with wenge would create a good balance.
    Why was I wrong?
    Because Mahogany absorbed the Wenge´s Tightness in the sound.
    It is a good neck still, but I should have opted to use Only Wenge or use Purpleheart.
    And It does sound good.

No. I didnt choose it because of the Looks.
    And No, I didnt choose it because other people use it.

Why did I choose zebrawood? Because of its hardness and high midrange/highs.
    Why Mahogany for the back? Low midrange and warmth.
    Why wenge? Density, Harness, raw feeling and most of all TONE. Very good lows with incredible sustain.

And, I guess you wont agree that Playability and cosmetic looks are indeed Luthier related?
    Which is in fact what most players look for...
    Maybe not cosmetic, but Playability, at least for me, is one of my primary concerns.
    And the ONLY way to know how a bass will play,,, Is to PLAY it.
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had no idea how much time and research had to go into designing a custom bass until I started to do it. I admit, when I first started, I just slapped together components and wood that I thought would be "cool". Then I took a step back and told Dave that I had to hold off for awhile to I could figure out what I really wanted/needed.

I spent a few months researching everything, and playing different basses with different components, and then was able to come up with a rough draft of what I wanted. And guess what, it wasn't even close to what I had originally. And even recently I made more changes (thanks rickbass) on a couple of things that might have been a big mistake.

I agree with Luis, the only way to know how the bass is gonna play is to play it, too.

SO, if you wanna spend the time and money to do it right, go with the custom. I guarentee it's gonna cost you a lot more than $700 though. If you want a good bass that you can "try before you buy", buy the Yamaha (or whatever you decide on).

15. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

if what's in your mind is chosing between these two, then get the Yamaha. no joke.

I'd prefer customers who'd like to work with me who can't get what they want elsewhere, or can't afford it, and are looking for an alternative.

Dave P.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a drop A Hipshot on my fretless Elrick. It's physically no different than a drop D tuner, it's just on your B string.

For me, it's totally useless ;)
  17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    you guys werent reading carefully. i said i could get a JM for $350, and a DP for $500, beacuse i only have to pay half.....read carefully kids haha
  18. Are your parents paying half of it? ;)
  19. rickbass

Now, LW, a good writing teacher will show you how to read what you write from others' standpoints.

That can be easily taken to mean you have to pay half of those amounts.

It ain't easy. It happens to the best of us. That's why proofreaders have jobs.

20. Look again. he said he only had to pay half. $500 is the half he has to pay. (Or at least that's my understanding)

btw, I'd go for the DP.