DP Custom Bass Owners--vote please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hengishammer, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    Ok...I just found this forum and have seen numerous posts about Dave Pushic, and have also seen one bass having more than 7 owners? Am I correct in this??

My question is--is how many DP Custom owners--people that have bought a bass from him directly or purchased one second hand-- would buy one again if they had the chance to do so?

I am getting one built myself.:bassist:
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to Talkbass and Nope, I wouldn't. I'm just one voice though. You also might wanna look into posting this with a poll while its still early.;)
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The experience of wanting, designing, perfecting the custom bass was something so nice, that I could think of doing it again.
    But I received, had to repair, modify, solder and finally return it... No thanks. Never.

My design was nice, sounded very good, it played like ... I dont know, it didnt play. The electronics werent even soldered as they should, I had to rework it all again.

Once that was done, I found the many flaws in the wood (Im not talking about the finish), the position of the bridge, the spacing between frets... Etc.
  4. Welcome to TalkBass!!

I did. And, yes, it's been sold 6 times that I am aware of in 1 year.

You might want to do a search. Here's a place to start:

Good luck!!
  5. What struck me about the recent DP thread is that Mr. Pushic himself was conspicuous by his absence.

A while ago, there was a mega Ken Smith thread, with all kinds of horror stories about his customer service.

Well, guess what? Ken Smith himself came forward and responded. He apologized, and promised to make amends.

Mr. Pushic, by contrast, seems to be hiding under a rock. He makes his living not by delivering a quality product, but by banking on the fact that P.T. Barnum was right.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't own a DP Custom nor have I ever spoken to Dave Pushic, but this statement seems a bit harsh. I understand that many people have been unhappy with his basses. I can't imagine though that he is making that much money at the prices that he charges. Even assuming sloppy work, the material and parts that go into each bass have to cost around $500. With his pricing structure, that doesn't leave much income for him.

I really hope that it is not his intent to prey upon suckers. If that were the case, then I'd have to say he is a failure as a con artist. His hourly pay has to be very low.
  7. "Con artist" - your words, not mine.
  8. IMO, it's not an integrity issue. My dealings with him were very good. It's a lack of skill problem.
  9. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I've never owned one or considered one, but after reading all these threads I went to his website. When you use the words "craftsmanship" and "hand crafted" that implies skill and proficiency. If you can't deliver that, then you're misleading people by saying you can.
  10. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    One thing you don't know (because of your Oct 2003 date), is DP posts here pretty regularly, and has posted in most threads concerning his basses.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Problem with a poll is that there's no guarantee that everyone voting has owned a DP (or even seen one in person for that matter).
  12. Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. My DP has been awesome from the first day I got it to today, which is about a year and a half. It looks, plays, and sounds awesome, and I get many compliments.
  13. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i really do not think that dave is out to con anyone at all. he was very professional when i was dealing with him last year.

dave was building me a bass last year. when dave was 95% done with my bass, the neck cracked on him. at that time he told me the news and either offered to build me a brand new bass from scratch, or give me a 100% refund. if he really wanted to screw me over, he would have tried to repair the damage and ship me a "defective" instrument.

i decided to take the refund just because my financial situation had changed and i didn't want to wait for him to build me another bass.

all i'm saying is that, although his quality might not be up with a fodera, he personal seems to be an honest and nice guy.
  14. Thank you, but I am aware that DP is a TalkBass member. That's why I said that he is conspicuous by his absence.

He needs to come forward and address all of the complaints, just like Ken Smith did. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying he's a con artist or a swindler.
  15. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    gah..this again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I LOVED my DP. It sang, it looked better than I'd hoped and it suit my needs perfectly. The only reason I don't have that bass today has to do with financial circumstances having nothing to do with the bass.

I sold the bass off and last I heard the new owner wasn't happy with some things and the preamp took a dump. I don't know this individual personally so I'm not saying it didn't happen; all I'm saying is it didn't happen with ME.

I personally enjoyed the building experience and Mr. Pushic made every step of it COMPLETELY terrific. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Actually, if anyone knows where my DP is at, I would really like to know. It was the 36" burl maple/padauk striped 6 string fretless. I'd really like to talk to whoever has it now about reacquiring it. If you know, please shoot me an email goldfalconk4t@aol.com

So....would I have Dave build me another bass if the opportunity presented itself? YES. And good luck with your bass, I hope it turns out wonderfully.

16. I love my bass...

it plays sweet... sounds amazing... looks amazing...

dave was great to deal with...

has a lifetime warranty...

no complaints.
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I believe Dave has a lifetime warranty on his instruments. If something breaks that was due to his craftsmanship or parts failing you just have to send it to him and he'll fix it right up.

I ordered my DP Custom in the summer of 2001. It ended up taking about a month longer than he said it would take, but I wasn't in a hurry to get it so that wasn't a problem. I was very pleased when I got my instrument. I definitely got my money's worth. About 9 months after I got my bass for some reason the fretboard started to warp. A local tech thought it was becuase of all the humidity changes we had experienced at the time, combined with the unsealed maple board I had. I told Dave about it and he completely redid the fretboard by pulling the frets, planing the fretboard, and reseating the frets. All of this was free of charge. The fretboard has been problem free for the 15 months or so that I've had it back. Bass plays like a champ. Looks good too.

To answer the original question, I would do it all again if I had the chance.
  18. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Are those pickups even recessed in the body?!?!
  19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes, I have one.

No, I would never buy another one.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was wondering the same thing.:confused: Doesn't look like it to me.