DP Custom Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ignus, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Ignus

Jul 27, 2001
    I've been to the website. I think they look absolutely fabulous, but what about the price? I know that they are way under priced for what you get, but if you want the Bartolini pickups, EQ and such, it still costs an arm and a leg.. Anyone have any idea what corners I could cut to bring the price down without sacrificing the value of the instrument? I've emailed Dave and he's responded, but I don't want to keep buggin him... Also, what would be a good wood to use? I'm into Less Claypool, John Myung, Tony Levin, And Geddy Lee.. I like Claypool's sound the best. So, if someone could help me out some without asking me too many specifics, (cuz I don't have specifics) that would be great. I'm just starting to get into bass playing very seriously..

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since you're just getting into bassing seriously, why don't you stick with his stock instrument. The Mitey Mite (sp?) pups and stock hardware that Dave uses on his standard model are better than most, if not all, of what's on the mass production market at the same price, IMO.

Once you become more of a bassist, you can decide if you want to pop in some higher pickups and hardware. Plus, you know better the sounds you're after and can look around here for what players recommend.

The wood choice is really a personal thing because it's not only about sound but cosmetics. Take a look at the good variety of woods Dave offers standard instead of getting pricey exotics that aren't his standard offerings.

Then use your search engine to find out more about how they affect tone. Some good places to get you started are;

- www.mtdbass.com/html/qfortone.html

- www.kensmithbasses.com (look for "Woods")

- www.electricbass.ch/dateien/hoelzer.html

- www.warmoth.com (look at "Guitar and Bass Bodies" and there you'll find a "Woods" page)

- www.edenhaus.com/woods.htm
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    That zebra wood has a cool unique look to it, but I wonder what it sounds like.
  4. Ignus

Jul 27, 2001
    I've been playing for about 5-6 years.. I'm a former (cough) guitar player of 9 years.. Didn't like it after a while.. I'm just starting to learn the sound I'm searching for. I do have a good bass, but I would like something different -- a NT for one. So the standard pick-ups and such are as good if not better than most on the market? Does that mean better than my Yamaha RBX765A? If so, dial me up..

5. Look at it this way.....get a DP custom with the standard PU.....and in the future, if you feel like upgrading the PU, u can easilty do it...and still have a quality of a handmade custom bass...which u wont be able to get with your yamaha.

And I'm assuming, the DP custom would sound better than your YAMAHA.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ignus - I haven't played a Yamaha, so I can't comment. Plus, I'm a bad one to ask because I lived through the period of bass history where you walked through back alleys and used an alias if you owned a Japanese bass. Intellectually, I know they're good, but intuitively, I can't get over the stigma.

But, consider this in relation to your Yammer since I think the Pushic is in the same price range ($600?);

- Whereas Yamaha is a conglomerate that makes all kinds of musical equipment with different functions spread all over the world, as well as PC products. leak testing systems, finishing robots, and who knows what else, a Pushic is made by a luthier with a single vision for each instrument and who makes more 5-string basses than anything else.

Then there's the woods. Japanese forests just don't produce nice woods, (just kidding; what trees?). Wherever they get their woods, I'm sure they buy bulk shipments and that's why you don't have wood choices. Each piece of Dave's wood has to pass his criteria.

Moreover, he knows that each instrument represents him to whomever sees it and plays it. Old Iko at the Yamaha plant, making hourly wage and working in the typical Japanese "team" enviroment forgets that thing as soon as it passes his work station and it goes to a robot that puts in components down the line. And there is a little of yourself in the Pushic, because you helped design it.

Mitey Mites are after market pickups that have been around for a while. So, obviously, they're more desireable to some people than those that came on their mass-production basses.
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Mighty Mite Pickups can be found on most Ibanez Basses, Tobias Toby PRO, Cort Curbows (Except the 6) , Cort Basses, Etc etc.

The are made by Cor-Tek wich makes Ibanez, Cort, used to make Washburn, and some other Korean Made instruments.