Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Custom - Ken Smith Prototype?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Anyone see this ad on Bassgear? The header reads "KEN SMITH PROTOTYPE" but it's for a DP Custom. There's a good chance the seller is a TB member. Maybe he can explain.

THE BASS I'M LISTING IS ON THE DP CUSTOM SITE.JUST GO TO HARMONY CENTRAL.COM AND LOOK UP DP CUSTOM. IT'S THE BOTTOM BASS ON DAVID PUSHIC WEBSITE.THE BASS FEATURES BURL TOP W/ MATCHING HEADSTOCK.THE BACK IS MADE FROM WALNUT. THE CONFIGUARATION OF THE TUNERS ON THE HEADSTOCK ARE 2 ON THE TOP AND 4 ON THE BOTTOM.THE SCALE LENGTH OF THE BASS IS 35 SCALE.THE BASS IS NECK THROUGH THE BODY AND SOUND REALLY GOOD.THE ELECTRONICS CONSISTED OF BARTOLINI SOAPBARS AND BARTOLINI 9 VOLT PRE-AMP.THE BASS HAS 4 TOGGLE SWITCHES FOR EXTRA PUNCH AND PASSIVE TONE ABILITY.THE FRETBOARD IS MADE FROM MAPLE. THE STRING SPACING IS PRETTY WIDE, BUT YET COMFORTABLE.IF YOU LOOKING FOR A KEN SMITH , FODERA , OR ELRICK PROTOTYPE THIS BASS FITS THE BILL.I MAY PAY FOR SHIPPING DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE.THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY AD.CALL ME AT

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    i DON"T ThinK 'proTOTYPE" meens what he thinks it means...

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Way to go, Ken! "Kick his ass, C-Bass!"

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

Eric?! :eek: How could you...

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    it's raders old dp! the burl with the funky tuner arrangement.

6. hmm. this looks shady :D

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Holy Crap. If Ken called and left me a message saying something like that, I would mes myself

8. Wow! That bass is on 4th or 5th owner in 8 months!

Oh, and it ain't no Ken Smith, Fodera or Elrick! ;)

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Man this bass of your Jeff must be cursed!!

Wonder if Eric is going say something.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    jeff you created a MONSTER!!!

way to go Mr. Ken Smith!

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I swear I didn't do it...

Jeff- we've got bassdom's version of the red violin on our hands...

added:

The ad isn't there anymore.... who posted it? It wasn't Landon Leaver was it? He was trying to sell it less than a month after I sold it to him.

12. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    That's definitely not a good thing. Does it really suck that much? :confused:

13. No, it didn't. It is just a beast of a bass. A 6 string may seem like a good idea at the time but may become more than one bargained for.

There were things I was not satisfied with about the bass and it's construction, but it is not a poorly constructed bass. It's just not at the level of a Fodera or Smith in construction, tonal balance and quality. Of couse, it didn't cost as much as a Fodera either.

It'll find a good home...

... maybe...

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Originally posted by Jeff Rader
    Wow! That bass is on 4th or 5th owner in 8 months!

Maybe the Bass is...Haunted!!!!

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Before you die, you will see...the BASS!!! :D ;)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know if I had the $$$, I would give it a shot.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I came close to it, when Jeff was getting rid of it. Had cash in hand, but decided against it at the last minute. Maybe it would have been "the bass" for me. But maybe not.:)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wanted to buy it a while back when it was on it's third owner. Anyone know where it is now? The ad on Bassgear.com is gone.

19. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    That is Jeff's old bass. I did find a buyer and took a hit to unload it. Like Jeff said the idea of a 6 is great, and I also had a Quantum6 I just traded in for a Quantum 5. The seller is a tad confused about the bass. But, if anyone wants some info I can pass it along.

20. Good to see you were able to sell it - sorry you took a hit.

Interesting choice of words - what is he "confused" about?