Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP custom owners, speak up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the stick, Sep 1, 2005.

1. i've been drooling over DP custom basses for about a year now and i wanted to upgrade to a 5 string soon and at around the same proce range as there custom 5's are and i was wondering who here had or still has a DP ccustom and waht were there experinces

DP customs

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There is a lot here to read. Do a search on "Pushic".

3. After checking out that site, i think i want one now. That price for a single cut is amazing.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I will say they are often sold after the owner receives them. This may be due to several factors though, including the owner not being as exact as he could have been when placing an order.

These are the guys I can remember on TB who have owned DP Customs:

Jeff Rader
    lwleaver (bough Jeff Rader's when he sold it)
    mark beem
    DZ
    Professor X
    drivenmore (bought Professor X's when he sold it)
    RedV
    FiXeR (bought RedV's when he sold it)
    rickbass
    teacherguy
    JSCHRO7376
    bassdr
    ironfist
    chbecker
    ryan morris
    4string4ever
    banden
    Reverend G-Money (had to return his because of build issues)

Of those, rickbass (RIP), 4string4ever, banden and teacherguy are the only ones I know of who still have their DP Custom, and rickbass had some issues with its finish. I'm sure there are many more owners or previous owners on the board- I just posted the ones I know of. I've also seen many of them go up for sale on Bassgear.com by non-TBers. I can actually remember most of the ones I've seen for sale based on the pics from his site. I'm not making a comment about their quality, but it should be noted about the very large percentage of turnaround on them. I'd like for a member who has had bad luck with one of his basses try a new one out and give his take on it- I'm a firm believer that if you keep at something, you'll eventually get better, and I'd be interested to hear if DPs have improved in quality.

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hes been getting a lot of bad rap here, but thats seriously old news. How old are these basses in question? 3, 4, 5 years old? 6 years old?
    I have one on order, and the customer service is excellent. A comment I read of his once is that how he recognized that (some customer) has improved his bass playing skills in the past 3 years, and that (some customer) should recognize that Dave has become a more skilled Luthier. Look at the newer basses on his site. They look great. I wouldnt confront him about the issue, because youll get a very straight forward answer which will not answer any questions. Basically, if you want a good instrument, buy from him. If you dont, dont. Just like any normal person, he corrects his mistakes. I havent heard anything good or bad coming from his shop in terms of reviews, but the second my bass gets in my hands, youll get a full review. I cant wait.

Officially, im saying "give him a chance, things are looking good."

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the lack of new info on his basses is based on the fact that no one wants to take the risk anymore and I dont blame them.

I wouldnt take the risk.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The pics on the website are such horrible quality, and there's never enough detail on any of his basses. I think if he wants to be taken seriously, he'd give detailed specs on the basses he makes, and TAKE SOME DECENT PICTURES.

I agree with Nick Man, I wouldn't take the risk.

8. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Youre seriously going to judge the quality of his instruments based on the quality of the pictures he provides?
    Thats so terrible... If it was someone saying that about you, you would def say that its completely unfounded (which it is).
    And dont say its not you because you would put up good pics with specs, because hes not you.
    And theres probably a reason why he doesnt put specs up. (does every other luthier? no. on fodera's website they dont even provide information on their instruments. they just say how many strings theyre available in).

you might be right about people not wanting to take the risk (which is why theyre not posting about getting new dp's), but its not like he hasnt been making basses since... there are plenty of new basses that hes built. And just because someone isnt on talkbass doesnt mean theyre not a legit bass player.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i will tell hte story of my dp.

I ordered it one december and was told it would be here in may; i received
    it in september.

I get a call 3 weeks before it is supposed to be ready and dave tells me that he has to saw off one of the wings due to an internal crack. i wanted to ditch it at that point but he said everything would be ok.

when i received the bass the core wood thickness was different on each wing as was the top and back. in other words he planed the core off of the top wood in order to save the top but then didn't make sure that there was proper symmetry between the two sides.

it was a mess.

the scarf joint was sloppy.
    there was a knot in the fb
    the nut was installed at an odd angle and with a gap between the nut and the headstock.
    the finish was horrible

a week before it was supposed to ship dave cracked the finger board and had to replace that.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    another tb'er who shall remain nameless andreceived his bass either right before or right after mine had some interesting issues.

the wood he chose for the body; dave put the figured side on the back...

and i also recall that there was a gap under the bridge that yo ucould fit a cd into...

having said all that I sincerely hope that Dave's skills and attention to detail have improved and i wish him only the best.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Good pics = professional. Bad pics = hack. Sorry, but you have to market yourself just a TINY little bit, even if it's something as small as decent quality pictures on your own website. His terrible pics, combined with stories like the one above, lead me to believe he's a complete hack, and not worth the investment.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

i think it was 2 years ago i ordered mine.

13. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    A complete hack I would not say, but somewhat of a hack? yes. The picture standard is soo lame... I dont think its a legit point at all, and certainly bound to turn into a double standard as soon as someone else makes a complaint about the pictures on some luthier's website.
    Not making excuses for him, I think that part of the guilt in some of these stories is on the buyer. If they did their research, they would have said to themselves, "hey man, I need to MAKE SURE that everything goes how I want it to go." I guess if they were expecting something comparable to some of the more well known luthiers, then they were mistaken.

Perhaps 2 years ago is still too long to judge for. Its not unreasonable to say that the status quo isnt quite perfect, but its def not unreasonable to say that since he is relatively new luthier that 2 years is ample time for a big improvement (esp since all the abuse hes taken from here. From personal experience with him, I think hes learned a lot.)

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    And it's not like three or four years is very long ago. If he has progressed since then, then great! But he earned that bad rep himself, and he'll have to deal with that issue, and everyone has a right to know about it.

Everyone makes mistakes; I'm sure Benavente, Elrick, Fodera, etc. have had some mishaps when building in the past. The main issue is that DP sent out his basses with those mistakes, rather than keeping the basses with him until there are no issues. Being willing to fix them if the customer has an issue once they're received their instrument is great, but first impressions count and sending them out with those issues in the first places was not a good move.

I almost purchased a used DP custom myself. I was lucky enough to have a very well-respected luthier look over the bass before it was sent out to me. He called me up himself and told me of all the issues the bass had- his first sentance was actually "you're not getting this bass."

I really hope that DP has improved in quality- it would be nice to have another luthier in the mid-price market that produces high quality instruments like FBB and Stambaugh.

15. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Just to reiterate my point, since hes a relatively new luthier, 2 or 3 years is a decent amount of time to improve. He seems to be very aware of the mistakes he used to make, and has assured me (to the point that Ill stand up for him) that his basses are of true quality.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    then go for it...please post a full review for us when you get your bass !

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just remember that the majority of the issues customers had problems with were construction issues-mostly in the neck/fingerboard department, and control cavity/pickup route issues- those aren't issues that have anything to do with the customer.

Remember that we're dealing with the real world here...two years ago is not much difference in the least. Roscoe is still getting comments about the one bass they sent to Bass Player for a review some eight or so years ago that had a few issues, and that was an isolated incident. Two years is ample time for improvement, but don't think that people are wrong to judge by it. Sadowsky couldn't pull in anywhere near $3k for a jazz bass these days if they had consistent construction issues with their basses two years ago. And again, don't call it "abuse." The comments he received were based on the quality of his output that he felt was good enough to send out.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I gotta ask; have you played one ?

19. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Can we ask RockStar571 to post a review of his new dp?

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool! Someone just got one here on TB who said they really loved it- I can't find the link right now though :meh: His basses have certainly always looked great, and it'd be great if they are built to match now. :)