DP Custom Single Cut review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Professor X, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Well it’s finally here my new single cut buckeye DP Custom...

I decided to do the review “bass player style” using the same categories and ratings system... I did add one category (Build to order) which is basically the “did i get what i wanted category.” so with out further ado here’s the review...

Construction (3/5)
    Electronics (4/5)
    Playability (4.5/5)
    Sound (5/5)
    Value (4/5)
    Build to Order (5/5)

here’s the basics... 5 piece maple and wenge neck with ash body wings and a burl buckeye top. Passive barts (dual coil) with coil taps and a stacked volume knob (no on-board pre) there is also a green fretlite system installed in the front of the neck. The hardware is mighty-mite.

over all the bass is well built (e.g.. sturdy) there are a few flaws that keep it from being perfect though. on the back of the head stock the wenge stringers don't line up with the stringers on the neck. (Dave builds the head stock separately and then attaches it later.) This defiantly does not effect playability or sound it just doesn't look great... (but then again it’s on the back) the other flaws are ones i had read about in other DP Custom reviews... the pickup routes are a little rough... and the finish is a bit rough... but both of those things are only noticeable extremely close up, from 3 feet away neither are visible.

The electronics are pretty straightforward 2 bartolini dual coil pu’s with coil taps... and a stacked volume knob... and that’s it... no preamp... there is also the above mentioned fret light system... the electronics work great, but the control cavity is a bit on the messy side. (hence the 4 out of five)

I had a chance to “crank” the bass up at the local Guitar Center through a Mesa porta bass system and loved the sound... crisp and deep would be the best way to describe it... i was amazed at how many different sounds i could get by just adjusting the volume and flicking the coil-tap switches.

the bass plays great... the neck has a nice taper on the bottom of it it’s very comfortable in my hand and is still quite “meaty” you could describe it as the stepchild of a p-bass and a warwick neck. the 36” scale is still taking some getting used to but is pretty comfortable to me (since I’m a big guy)

Overall i LOVE THIS BASS it’s defiantly not perfect, but plays great and sounds great. Originally I asked Dave to build a singlecut 5 string with a buckeye top, maple neck and ash body, he shot me a price and i gave him the go ahead... i got EXACTLY what i wanted. The tone and playability and the overall beauty make up for the small flaws and I would defiantly recommend Dave Pushic to anyone looking for a good inexpensive completely custom-built bass...

(PS in answer to the inevitable question i wont share the exact amount but this bass was BELOW $1000 including shipping... quite the deal if i do say so myself.)

2. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Fret lights... (much brighter in person)

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    :eek: Beutiful. I really like the looks of that bass.
  4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    That's my favorite DP so far. Sweeeet! :bassist:
  5. That is one sweet looking bass.
  6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Would you say the bass excels at slap? fingerstyle? Is there any way you could post some soundclips? I am interested in possibly getting a DP....I can't afford $3000 for a Benavente, just curious if I can get close for about $1000....I like my Bossa, which sounds a bit like the Benavente in the Avon clips, but the playability is a bit off for me.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice. Is the B string really that far in on the neck as it looks in the pics? Looks sorta extreme as to spacing. Can you adjust the bridge outwards? Or is that the way you like it?

In any case, glad you like what you got. :cool:
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrats, nice bass
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    so lets see. that top, birdseye maple board, and leds for under $1000!!!!!

i see my next bass hehehe

10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Looks good Prof...very cool. hope you enjoy it.
    This means that mine is one step closer..
  11. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I want a scroll style 5 string fretless DP....
    Oh yea.... nice bass:D
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Nice bass at a nice price! How about some pics of the backside of the bass. I'd be really interested to see the Wenge and the Ash.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nice. Seems to have quite a few features in common with my FBB 8. The pickup spacing seems to be very similar. Your buckeye is a little fiestier though. Looks good.

Is that a honkin' huge stacked knob or what? Kind of hard to see it, but it looks bigger than most.
    Hope you get some sound clips going.

It sounds rebellious, you might need to tame it!
    sorry, I couldn't resist
  14. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    The spacing is a little wierd... because i was cheap and got the non ajdustable bridge, but Dave made me aware of this before hand... the bridge is probably the only thing I'd change... eventually I'll probably switch it out, but for now it's cool...

15. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    here's the pic dave sent me of the back...

16. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    your wish is my command... i went straight out of the bass into a Digidesign Mbox recorded at 44.1/24bit with no effects. (finger style first)
  17. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    and some slap (ala larry graham)
  18. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thank you so very much!! Sounds great...I emailed Dave about getting a bass made, but he is out of town on personal business...
  19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Cool X!!

Im glad that you're liking it!!