Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Custom vs. Spector Europe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Mar 25, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I am trying do decide. One of those two will be my next bass. The Spector Europe is just about $1000 over here in Germany, so the price is not the point.

Both would be fivestrings...

The Specs for the Pushic would be

Custom Shape
    Custom Head
    Maple Neck (Neck Through)
    Zircote Fingerboard
    Maple Body
    Quilt Maple Top
    2 EMG 40 DC Humbuckers
    Sadowsky Onboard Preamp
    Gotoh Tuners
    ABM Bridge
    Dunlop Straplocks
    Tobacco Sunburst Finish

What do you think ?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not too familiar w/the Pushic, but according to the specs, it sounds like it would be a killer bass!!!! I like the fact that you would get it w/a Sadowsky preamp. Spector basses are AWESOME. I have 3 USA models, a Korean model & a Czech 5 on the way. I've owned 3 other Czechs (2 4's & a 5) & I sold em when I got the USA's. The Czech's are AWESOME basses & are very close in all aspects to the USA series. I'm even considering getting a new NS-4 CR in white. I have uncontrollable <b>GAS!!!</b>

3. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

Nino, just one thing for your GAS.

You can actually ask Dave Pushic to build one for you.
    You can spec neck width, radius etc. and he will build it, just mail him, he will tell you.

The Sadowsky Preamp is rising the price of the pushic a bit, maybe with it, it will be $1000 (fivestring) and without $700. So how can you go wrong. The materials Pushic uses are great (read the other posts). And you can also have custom shape and headstock so just make a drawing that looks good for you (maybe close to a spector or the same as a spector - I think maybe he won`t notice..)..

David

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Looks like a toss-up to me, the specs are very similar... except for the preamp.
    Is that preamp a wise choice along with EMG's? I thought that the Sadowsky preamp could only boost highs, not cut them? Might not be what you want?

The Pushic would cost a bit more than the Spector, wouldn't it? I mean, with the shipping and such... but it would be worth it, having a bass nobody else on the planet has!

BTW, I'm sketching on my own DP Custom right now! :D

5. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I, too, have decided to purchase a DP. I've already talked w/ Dave and he'll start building in a coupla months (when I can get the money :D). I will say this, the price he quoted me on the features I want is outstanding. I've meticulously looked over every available picture of his basses and I've come to a two-word conclusion. Quality workmanship. Keep in mind though, I don't have bass in hand, so I'm not really an expert, but it seems like, for the money, you can't go wrong w/ a DP.

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

Oystermann: Why should I want to cut the highs ? If I want great sounding bass, growling mids and clear highs, the Sadowsky would be a good choice, wouldn`t it?
    Roger also builds his 24 Fret 5 String Model with EMG Pickups (40DC or 40J Humbuckers).

But isn`t the Spector worth more ? It´s just so cheap here ($1000 as a FIVE String with Figured Maple Body), and in the US it is $2000 wich is the double price for me.

David

7. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Well David, it depends on what you mean by worth more. To me, I would rather have a custom-built bass. But if you mean resale value, yes. The Spector would be of more value.

8. I own 3 Czech Spectors which I love dearly! The tone is phenominal. Great for recording and live.
    Does the Pushic have the carved body like the Spector? The woods and electronics are definitely quality on the Pushic but that alone does not describe the tone. I'm sure the tone is good, perhaps great but to what degree? Spector basses have a very distinct tone, I can always tell them apart on a recording. Also, the Spector is a more recognizable name, therefore, would likely have better re-sale value. I would have to vote for the Spector being that you can audition one in a store. With the Pushic, you wouldn't know how it sounds until you receive it. Unless there is a satisfaction guarantee, ordering the Pushic is a gamble.
    Again, my recommendation is Spector but it's your money!

9. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

I don`t know - and that`s the risk to me I believe. I played a NS5CRFM and I really liked it, but it has just got an EMG Preamp and the one time I played the EMG / Sadowsky Combination, I completely fell in love with it.

Thats what I´m thinking, I`ve felt nothing special about the way the spector plays. And I can spec everything to David.. so...

I don`t know !

David

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, I'm pretty sure that Sadowsky will only sell his onboard preamps if he installs them himself. So, unless you already have one (or, if he has a different policy in Germany), make sure you factor in the shipping of the bass from NC to NY, and THEN to Germany.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's not true - if he demanded that, I doubt he would sell many preamps at all. He RECOMMENDS it however, but that is an entirely different story.

I quote:
    "For those who prefer an onboard preamp installation, the Sadowsky Bass Preamp can be installed in most instruments. We recommend that instruments be shipped to us for installation."

See for yourself: http://www.sadowsky.com/preamp.html

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    According to Roger that was the only way he was selling them. Europe may be different though.

David, if you felt nothing special about the Spector...why is it an option?

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    That's what I heard, in an old interview by Dave Freeman in Bassics, he said that he would be the only one to install the preamp. He didn't want anybody else to install the preamp, maybe poorly, have some noise, and give a bad reputation to the Sadowsky preamp.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, that was the reason.

15. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Except that Roger says in his emails that he will sell it separately (tho they strongly prefer to do the installation)

Dave P.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He wouldn't sell me one. I inquired about one a few months back & he wanted to charge me $350 for it w/ installation. I asked why he wouldn't sell me one outright & his reply was he didn't want any unqualified tech working on it & if something went wrong w/it, he wouldn't back the warranty because the damage might of been caused by the tech.