dp customs bass, yah or nah?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommy Gunz, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Hi. I'm new here.

Someone had told me that quite a few people on this forum owns a dp custom made bass, but not all of them are happy with the product. May I know what are some of the complaints? I tried to use the search engine but it won't let me search anything that has world with less than 3 letters - 'dp' :mad:

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try searching for Pushic. You should get plenty of threads with a wealth of info.

I haven't played one, personally, so I can't be of any help other than that.

Good luck!
  3. Thanks for the tip.

I just read that very long thread and it seems that this topic has been discussed to death already. If Dave is OK with shipping to Canada, I think I'll go for it.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, welcome aboard, man...i think that the biggest problem with people being dissatisfied with their dp customs is that they got exactly what they asked for. so, be careful what you ask for...you just might get it
  5. humm... I'm not sure that was the biggest problem. But, you do raise a good point.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Tommy.:) Nice to see you over here.
  7. welcome Mr. Gunz
    my DP turned out great, some day I will buy another one off of him. look through the archives for my review!
  8. thanks chump. I just finished reading your thread on the zebra bass. Very nice looking, and sounds good too.

Those UPS horrid story is scaring the **** out of me right now, because I actually have an acoustic bass coming to me on UPS ground shipping. I think I'm going to have nightmares in the next few nights.
  9. don't sweat it too bad, I have a buddy who plays a $3000 Taylor Acoustic guitar, and he will only ship UPS. if thats of any reassurance:)

yeah the DP has become my right hand, it's my sound, it feels right, I can get the sound thats in my head to come out of the amp, it's sweet! I got all those switches and stuff, and once I found "my sound" I just keep it on the same settings. I can't remember the last time I changed the settings.
  10. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I have seen and touched some of his recent work and it is very much more sophisticated than the work he did on my early DP custom. My bass DOES sounds great, regardless. I strongly recommend giving one of his basses serious consideration. If you decide to order one from him, listen closely to his advice and be as specfic as possible about the shape of the neck and the action. (Give him measurements if possible.) He has been an invaluable resource for me since I purchased one of his basses.
  11. I worked for UPS for a good number of years when I was younger. What stories are you referring to?
  12. quote from Josh Walsh: " "I worked at UPS for 4 years. I wouldn't ship a brick thru them. "

and his thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...3&highlight=ups

as well as a few other stories in chump's zebra bass thread.

why? arre you planning on defending UPS :D
  13. no, not defending. i worked there for 6 years, and i saw a lot of things happen. i will say this though, i would not ship a bass or any other type of gear using ground service. air is the way to go. the package handlers aren't allowed to throw stuff - which is a good thing i think - it has to be hand to surface. but if your gear is loaded on the bottom of the heap in a big semi and you didn't use a very, very strong box with ample filling, then things can go very, very wrong. other than this scenario, i think UPS is very safe.
  14. Funny story (since you mentioned Taylor). Since I bought a new Taylor/Klein ABG, I sold my previous one. The buyer requested that I send it to Klein to get some mods done and to clean it up. It arrived at Klein's shop safely, but was completely destroyed in shipping between Klein and the buyer. I figure that Steve Klein knows how to pack a bass, so I can only assume that it was grossly mishandled in shipping. I'm really freaked out about it now, but at least it was insured for the full amount.
  15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    If your interested in a DP. the 6 string has gone back up on bassgear forsale.