Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Customs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Nov 13, 2002.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    All I can say is HOLY #%$%!!! Awhile ago, I looked into DP Customs, but not very deep apparently. Today, I went to his site for fun and calculated the cost(roughly) of my dream six string (in case any of you read my last posts I've been going back and forth between fretless four and six string fretted for awhile). Anyway, the total price was less than a Carvin that I was gonna get!!! A totally custom bas thats less than a Carvin? (note profanity in capital letters at the top of the screen) While I know the basics, my question is regarding the pricing of more customized instruments. I will now list the specs of my dream bass and hopefully, the wise DP Custom buyers out there will help me.

Six strings
    36" scale length
    Single cut body
    Bartolini pups with 3 band Bart pre-amp (is this right)
    Fodera style knobs (could he do these? if not, gold)
    Pau Ferro fretboard (standard)
    Walnut body
    Quilted top (maybe burl instead)
    Five (or if possible seven piece) maple-purpleheart neck

Did I miss anything? I hope some of you guys can help. Please tell me any information you know that could help me calculate the price!!! Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you want to, you could post a pic of your DP or give a review of any you have played!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Use the "Search for" function at the top of the page and"DPCustom" or "Pushic" as your search term.

Then tell your family you won't see them for a couple of days because you will get miles of threads on the subject.

BTW - Your spec's??? You're just scratching the surface.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah do a search.. there are mixed feelings...

However I do believe you will find that these basses are good for the price.. the main complaint is that The fit & finish can be somewhat shotty.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Like rick said, you are not even scratching the surface by the specs you mentioned (and rickbass is one of the reasons I realized I had to do more research before I went custom, which I still haven't done).

Yes, you can get a cool six for not a lot of $ from Dave, but if you don't spend the time to know exactly what you want, you might end up with a cool six that you hate. Remember, Dave builds em exactly how you want em built. So, if you don't know every last detail, it might not work out for you. And what looks good on paper might sound like crap in real life.;)

5. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks but do you guys have an idea of what, say, active Bart pre-amp with Bart pups cost? What I meant eith the post question was about how much does all that extra stuff cost because the wood and all that seemed so incredibly inexpensive? Or is all that info in the other threads? Thanks again!

6. rickbass

We're not back-scratching: Ryan just put it very well.
    When you start thinking about things like - "Control cavity screw - gold?/black?/silver? threaded inserts for the screws or no? copper foil shielded? strap button locations?.........blah, blah" - you know you're getting down on it.

Otherwise, Dave has to assume you want to go either "cheapest way" or just use his standard practice. Once he fires up the saw, that's not the time to start thinking about what you forgot.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i am not sure what a barts or a bart preamp cost.. pickups will depend on what pickups you get... But if barts are you thing (as they are mine :) ) don't worry about cost.. get what you want

8. rickbass

I'd ask Dave on this one because he's got a hook-up on Bart stuff and can get them for at as good a price as we can if not better. I talked to Guitar Villa who was a bit higher than Bass Central, if I recall correctly;

- The Bart 4-coil 72MM EK or EX 5-string soapbar was $117
    - The high-end Bart HR 4.4 pre-amp with selective mids was $135

Dave got the pickup himself for less than I could find (I ended up going with a Basslines preamp eventually)

Personally, I don't think electronics is one of areas you want to compromise on. I think Dave still uses Mighty Mites as his standard if you don't go for the high-end stuff.

Wood doesn't HAVE to be expensive at all if you can control yourself.....(which most of us can't), Dave does pick up some good deals on fancy woods and offers them on his website.

9. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    My quad coil and pre were a little cheaper than what you posted through Dave, rick...at least if I remember correctly.

newbass...

Like these guys are saying; there's A LOT more to having a custom built than just saying what kind of wood and what kind of preamp:)

What profile neck do you want? What size frewire? Tuning machines? Bridge? String spacing? And like rick said, when you get down to what color screws, you're getting there.:D

One other thing of importance....have you ever PLAYED a 36" scale instrument? I would make absolutely CERTAIN that you felt comfortable and could handle such a large scale. I'm having a 36" six string being built by Dave right now, and it looks HUGE. You just don't want to get stuck with a wonderful bass that you can't play.

Good luck with it, and I hope it all works out for you.

Alex

10. rickbass

Alex - NOTE -> I said those were Guitar Villa's prices , that Bass Central was a bit cheaper, and Dave had a hook-up for the best prices on Bart stuff.

So, we're agreeing on this point.

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Rick,
    I see what you mean. I understood that the first time, but looking back....man, that was some terrible grammar on my part:) Oh well.

Alex

12. Newbass,
    welcome!
    I would recomend the Bart Quad coils. that's what I have in my Pushic. I love 'em! I went with the 2 band bartolini NTMB EQ preamp.
    I also was almost going to get a Carvin, and glad I didn't.
    1 more thing, listen to these guys on the forum, they know what's up.
    have fun with the custom :)

here's mine

13. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Awesome bass, chump stain!!! Thanks for the advice. Anyway, I have played a couple 35" and I liked it. Plus I have pretty large hands. Also, I want to play mostly jazz, fusion, funk etc. so don't try to tell me that I don't need the two inches (I don't want to sound like fieldy BTW I'm also going to get a zero fret, which I've heard is very good for clarity and such. Another inquiery, I live in Texas, I can do all my ordering an such by e-mail, right? Whats the difference between the quads and the normal ones? :) ) Thanks for the replies, I gotta go!

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    newbass,
    I hope you enjoy the 36". I can't wait to get mine.

The quad coils just give you more options really. But they are definitely a nice pickup.

As far as emails, I haven't talked to Dave ONCE yet on the phone and my bass will be done in a couple weeks. Dave is a really great guy, and you will enjoy the experience, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Alex

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Umm, you don't need the two inches.:D :D :p

16. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks again! By the way, what e-mail address do I use to contact Dave? I saw one at his website, but it said "for ordering"? Also, what about the zero fret (does it help?), and I'm not very proficient at hardware stuff, so what do the different bridges that Dave offers do? Finally, does anybody know of any string companies that offer 36" scale length strings for a sixer? Thanks, and keep the replies coming!!!

17. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    newbass,
    You can get a hold of Dave at that email....he'll probably reply from his personal email though.

I'm not sure who makes strings in 36" scale. I'm sure there's a few companies. If you find them, let me know!:)

Alex

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    For strings, I am sure that Peavey Cirrus strings would fit a 36" scale bass, and possibly Xtra long scale DR's. There seems to be plenty of excess on my 35" scale basses with both these brands.

Do a search here on the zero fret issue, there was just a thread recently about it (I believe it was started by Dave P).

Dave should be able to explain all the differences in bridges to you, there are many, many styles to choose from.