Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP in Progress w/ pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BTBbassist, Jan 20, 2004.

1. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Hi guys...Here's the obligatory custom bass thread. Enjoy.

Specs are:
    4 string
    34" scale
    snakewood (!) top, walnut body with maple accent layer
    gold hardware

3 piece flame maple/walnut/flame neck with gaboon FB
    24 frets
    no inlay, abalone side dots
    zero fret
    hipshot ultralites w/ xtender on low E
    schaller roller bridge
    bartolini MM bridge, J neck

Aggie OB3 preamp with coil taps
    master volume
    bass/treble boost
    mid boost
    blend
    mid select switch
    active/passive

Body is Hanewinckel influenced with a few changes and size modifications.

Not the best piece of snakewood, but hey, I didn't pay for (and couldn't find) a great piece of snakewood. Don't think it's ever been used on top like this...we'll see how it goes.

...so far it's turned out just like I had imagined. Hopefully the snakewood doesn't split. :meh::bawl:

Thanks guys!

2. I hope you like it. Let us know when you get it.

3. GREAT!

I'll have Dave building me a bass when I have $1000 to spend.. that will be in no more than.. 4 years maybe?? :D

congrats.. looks like it's going pretty good..

4. The body style looks very similar to one of Hanewinckel's styles. Nice!

[​IMG]

5. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Final pics from Dave...
    Should be arriving tomorrow...comments will follow :eek: :D

Body style is definately similar to the Ceres...it seems to be a touch different around the top, but I think it's a pretty neat design...

6. Wow. I've never seen a snakewood top. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) it's difficult to find a piece wide enough for a fretboard, let alone a body. Do you know if the snakewood was treated? I understand it is prone to cracking.

Regardless, very nice bass!! I love the look of snakewood.

Good luck!
    Jeff

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wow!! That looks really nice! Congrats!!!

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's probably the best DP I've seen yet, congrats.

9. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Thanks for the comments guys. The bass is out for shipping today in Southern California, but unfortunately I am in Kauai doing a remodel for some relatives. :bawl:

I'll be posting thoughts when I get back, after I get done playing with it of course. :)

Thanks again...

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Those woods look really nice together. The gold hardware looks really good on that bass as well.

11. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I was very lucky that Dave had a nice wide piece in stock. The figure across the top isn't consistant "snake", but I really like the way it turned out. I had first spec'd it as a fingerboard, but Dave informed me that it might be wide enough if the neck through is visible. I liked the flame maple accent layer on Geoff's Prima 6, so that was the inspiration for it.

I understood that it was prone to cracking, and I asked Dave about it. He had had the piece drying for some time. He was confident that I wouldn't split, so I don't think he treated it with anything special. He said he'll take care of it if it does split, however.

The rear cavity cover is the same design as Rick's Cocobolo Queen. From the pictures, I think it turned out well.

12. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    How long did you wait for that beauty, and how long did it take him to build once he started on it? I ordered one from Dave in early December. Originally I wanted Bart pups, but changed it to a Lightwave system. Should be very cool...

13. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I sent in my downpayment in the beginning of February, 2003. I received the bass two days ago, and I'm pleasantly surprised at what I received. Full review coming, but I'm definately a satisfied DP customer.

I don't have record of when it was started, but it was at least 6 months before anything happened at all. I'll look up the dates that I wrote down...somewhere.

The tone on this thing is unreal... The combination of the Aggie pre and the Barts is great for my tastes. With the flicks of switches, this bass has huge variety...but more on this later...

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah....I agree.

Does anyone know if it was a TBer that had the Rickenbacker inspired bass built? It's on the same page as this one (page 3 of the gallery).
    -Bazz-

15. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Ok...here's the review:

Sound: One word- versatile. With the coil taps and Aguilar 18v pre, I can shift from a gritty vintage tone to a more modern style with a few flicks and turns. It took a few hours to figure out the controls for this bass and the relationships between them. I still haven't got it to where I'm completely comfortable, but that will come with time.

The walnut body actually does did the bass more defined low and low mid clarity. I've only had the bass a week, but in the one gig I've played with it, I found that it cut through the mix very well, in fact I had to pull back a little as the tone was so strong.

This is all the tone I've ever wanted from a bass guitar. Period.
    10/10

Playability: I asked Dave for a slightly flat D profile, and that's what I got. It's a pretty meaty neck, which it what I asked for. The fretwork seems pretty well done, although sliding up and down the neck, my fingers catch the edges of the fret- they probably could have been rounded just a touch more, but nothing that I can't take care of.

Neck dive isn't a problem, the bass balances very well at my desired playing height and position.
    9/10

Construction: We all know Dave has received some flak regarding shoddy build quality, but I can honestly say that the workmanship on this bass is top notch. You have to remember, this is a completely handmade bass. You can tell that the body was not CNC'd at a factory. It has some character, which is great. The tung oil finish is also very acceptable. No complaints here... 9.5/10

Aesthetics:
    Having designed the bass, I'm partial to its appearance. Dave did just about everything that I had requested, and I think that it turned out very well. The snakewood is fantastic, the pictures don't do it justice. (They never do) It's definately a look that's unique to my other collection, but it's just what I was hoping for.
    10/10

Value:
    Dave isn't doing this for the money. He spent many extra hours rebuilding and tweaking sections that he was not completely satisfied with. The end product is a stunning instrument at a realistic price. I feel like I got a bargain on a bass of this quality . The hardware alone would have cost me more than half the price of the bass! 10/10

Customer Service:
    Dave answers emails very quickly and politely. He made up some diagrams to explain to me the wiring layout with regards to the coil switches. My only complaint was that it did take a year and a half, but I am more than happy with the result! Patience is key in a project like this.

Overall: This has now become my main playing bass. If anyone is interested in a Vintage Sunburst 'Ray 4, PM me. :) In terms of sound, it also has surpassed my Neuser Courage 5, only because the DP greater variety of usable tones. The Neuser nails the modern tone, but that's about it. The Stingray nails the meaty tone, but that's about it. The DP is, in my opinion, the fusion of my Neuser and my Stingray (two great basses), in a less expensive, and more attractive form.
    9.5/10

Sorry the review took so long to get written...been playin! :bassist:

Thanks for the kind words from the posts above. :) I've missed many aspects of the bass in this review, but please contact me for detailed descriptions or pictures of anything that you may want to know...

16. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's a fantastic looking bass and I'm happy to hear you're very satisfied with it!

I'd give my DP a 7/10 and I'm not a picky person.

It is a very cool feeling to have your design and specs of a guitar come to fruition into a bass you enjoy! That's what kept the excitement going for me over the LONG wait the get mine.

You have a one-of-a-kind instrument, congrats!!

Jon