DPA d:vote 4099 microphone fitting

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bajistaman, Feb 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hi!, I was wondering if anyone that uses de DPA d:vote 4099 microphone has any recommendations how to properly fit it, not the mic itself but the cable and the XLR adapter? Couldn't find any pictures, just ones showing the microphone.

Thank you!

Johann

4099B__25358.1612381060.gif

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The 4099 has 1.9m/5.9' cable. The cable is very thin and inconspicuous. I believe the cable is just run down behind the tail piece so it is concealed, and the connection to the XLR is made on the floor.

You could use something like a black velcro cable tie to hold the cord in place if you like, or rig up something else.

If you want to permanently mount the XLR to the bass, perhaps this thread will give you some ideas: Cable connector clamp for double bass?

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The picture you’ve posted is just how you mount the 4099 Dvote Core except, I would generally point the microphone

directly at the top. Is that the picture that DPA Ises on it’s site? It sure looks like it. :)

4. Thanks for your answer @Wasnex, asked DPA directly and they wrote:
    The XLR adapter has a clip, I thought that should be attached to the strings directly above the tailpiece but it looks like, as you pointed out, that it shouldn´t.
    7957_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=-CTaKINhWLgAX90WgqP&_nc_ht=scontent.fscl25-1.jpg

5. Thanks for your answer @Ric Vice , I think got the picture from gollihur web site

Wasnex likes this.
  6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep, I believe that's the picture from DPA's website that Gollihur used because their a dealer. The issue I had with the DPA, if you're using their standard length gooseneck is

it's to short to reach the part of the top where the best sound comes from. Fortunately for you, the newer ones have an extension that you can purchase that will get you

to the "sweet spot".

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.34.27 AM.png

Wasnex likes this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That looks like a belt clip to me. Probably for horn players or acoustic guitarists/mandolin players, etc, who use these mics.

Povl Carstensen and DoubleMIDI like this.
  8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You are correct it is a belt clip that’s really more for a violinist or trumpet player. You can remove it by carefully unscrewing the bottom half you wish. I used to use it to secure the cable connector on my tail gut, but it’s a little wonky,

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Wasnex likes this.
  9. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    For most basses, we find that the standard gooseneck is long enough to get it into the sweet spot. But not all basses are the same, so the extended gooseneck is an easy way to reach a spot on a particular bass.

As for pointing it at the bass, I find that pointed at the top, slightly off-axis (like in the photo) is a great place to start. The DPA is pretty "dummy proof" in that it's hard to get a bad sound from it, unless you're intentionally trying to do so. :)

Ric Vice and Wasnex like this.
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Good points, unfortunately in my case, the reach up from the after lengths, through the bridge feet, and onto the table, takes more length than the standard DPA goose neck provides. So if I still used a DPA 4099 Devote Core, then I’d need the extension and my bass is a 5/8th’s