DPcustom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 13, 2001.

1. I have recently purchased a custom bass from DPcustom out of North Carolina. Has anybody else purchased from this guy?? my bass will be ready in November, but i was curious if anybody else has purchased from Dave Pushic, and what are your thoughts on his basses?
  2. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    what are your woods ? .... just curious ...
  3. i got zebrawood top/back, walnut core, 3pc maple/walnut neck, zebrawood headstock overlay, and passive MM/J bartolinins...
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have one.
    Great tone.
    It is going back to him for some fixups and detailing improvements, and fingerboard replacement (Changing to Ebony)

I guess his work must be improved in the last 2 months, as he is making more basses everytime.
  5. were you able to select your own body shape? how was the turnaround time? when you mention fixups, what exactly was wrong?
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ohh , btw if you wanna see it:

6 String Omega Bass (Base shape by DP)
    Custom Carved Back of body (Spector Like)

Hipshot A Model 18mm Brass Bridge
    Bartolini NS2TMB-183 18 Volt Preamp
    3 Band , selectable midrange.
    Active/Passive selection.
    Bartolini xxM56E on Neck and xxM56EX on bridge.
    Custom coil selectors: Series/Parallel/Single-hum-cancel for each pickup.
    Phase Selector.
    Standard Tuners
    Mahogany Core with 40% Zebrawood on top.
    5 Piece neck Wenge/Wenge/Mahogany/Wenge/Wenge
    PauFerro Fingerboard (Soon to be ebony)
    Custom Abalone Inlays. (Omega at headstock, infinity at 12th)
    Flat neck profile with Graphite/Carbon reinforcements.
    Dunlop Flush Straplocks

Soon to be added:
    -Ebony Fingerboard
    -Abalone Side Markers
    -(Posible, Push and Pull Blend for Series/parallel Pickup Blend)
    -A Brain.. (If this bass could only talk)
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes, I could have designed the shape, but It could have resulted wrong in terms of balance.
    I settled on the basic DPCustom shape but edited the horns, I made it a little slimer on the center and added the countoured back.

About the fixups.
    Mostly cosmetical stuff that David is aware now and he has been improving on that issue. (I have some references on that, as other customers have been very happy with the results)
    All that will be fixed.
    Also some rounding on the edges (Personal desire, not a fixup)

The fretboard has to be replaced, as pauferro was not stable enough for my climate (I live in a tropical country) and also had some defects on the frets that could have been caused by the climate as there was no glue there.
    He is using cyanocrilate now to prevent things like that.

Im happy with the tone, however until it gets fixed I cant speak about the playability.
  8. i saw that bass on his site.. it's pretty nice..did you request the photos? i was curious if he would do that for me. i took a Salas bass and modified the shape a little bit for what i wanted. i can't wait for mine.. i kept it simple. passive MM/J bartolinis, 3 pc neck, and his wooden knobs (i just had to). he's doing my initials in Mother-of Pearl at the 12th fret. overall you seem stoked with the instrument. i live in San Diego where it stays 70-75 degrees all year round, so temperate changes don't really occur here.
  9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A Small recomendation...
    If you are going to have a fully passive bass, I recommend you get Seymour Duncan Pickups.
    BartoliniĀ“s are great but I believe they have low output when passive, because they are designed to be used with a Pre-Amp
    I believe they have Low Impedance too, im not too sure.

Seymour Duncans work great when fully passive, and you could ask David to put Wood Caps instead of the plastic ones.. Wood caps look great on pickups.
  10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes, I asked him to send me the pictures, but he does that for all his customers.
    In fact at the beggining he only had a normal 35mm Camera, then he got a Digital one that had a terrible resolution, some time later he upgraded to a new one that is producing the pictures that most people are showing now.
  11. i looked into a couple of different custom bass manu's, and i was told passive bartolini's sound great... but what one person loves, another hates..
    i play a '97 Fender American Jazz V (not the active deluxe), and it's just a big hunk of Alder with a neck slapped onto it. big round tone, nice & simple. i wanted that tone mainly out of the neck pickup of the new bass, which is why i got the MM style too. i run a SansAmp Bass Driver anyway (the reason i don't need active), and i get a SICK boost from that.. or any tone i want to dial up.. that thing is awesome.
  12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I do like my passive Bartolinis,
    Just saying the output is very low, when Im not using the Active Electronics.

And that the Seymour Duncans DO sound hotter and better when passive only.
  13. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Dave Pushic will do custom inlays? Does it cost more? How much did all of your basses cost are i going to cost? I want an idea of how much they would be.
  14. reading this and other posts, i've now decided to have a go and build a 6 string fretless, thanks

15. as far as the cost goes, dave likes to keep his price quotes personal to the customer.. i told him i wouldn't tell. what i will say is that i played a custom zebrawood Jerzy Drozd the other day, and that was WAY more than what dave is charging me. He's been really responsive too. he answered all my questions (he's got some patience!!), and guided me into making better decisions.
    as far as the inlay stuff goes, it does add to the cost and turnaround time, but if you're spending $$$$ already, what's a little more to actually personalize the instrument.
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so you're spending LESS than $10,000? :eek: ;)
  17. did you mean 10,000 or 1,000? like i said, i can't say the amount he's charging, but i was BLOWN AWAY....
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

bassbrobrad - No, a nice bass can be made for waaaaaay less than ten grand.

Dox - I ordered custom inlay on mine, not pre-cut inlay you can buy. I haven't seen a cost breakdown for mine, but I'm sure it costs more. Besides the materials, inlay is labor-intensive, plus you're paying for the inlay skill and knowledge he has acquired.

Dave treats his customers extremely well, as good as any person or company I have ever dealt with.

On the other hand, he has some customers who make continuous changes after work has begun on the instrument, and others who take 6 months to figure out what they want, then expect him to make it in two weeks.

So what I'm saying is - If you get one, don't treat him like some kind of servant. Put yourself in his place.
  19. i agree.. he's very cool... i'm sure i've been a hassle, i ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, and i've had about 5 upgrades added since i first made the order. dave has been way cool, and in response to a previous post about the passive Bartolini's, dave reassured me that i will be getting a great sound out of them, and a switch to Seymour Duncan's would not be necessary. I have a custom inlay being made out of Mother Of Pearl with my initials in block letters at the 12 fret. i knew it was gonna add to the cost, but i'm still shocked at how affordable it was. i guess my parts have been ordered and he's gonna start on the neck soon. now i just have to be patient until november.. that's gonna be the hardest part...
  20. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    DARN DAVE! WHY MUST HIS PRICES BE SO SECRET! Can I get a ball park? I know his 6 string costs roughly $700 with his generic passive pick ups. Well that is what it says on his site. So if I get custum inlays and probably a pretty basic 6 string. Should it be under a $1,000?