1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DPDT WIRING HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Can someone help me out with a diagram for wiring a DPDT 3 way switch. What I want is to wire it for two pickups, switch to one side one pickup, switch to the other side other pickup, switch in the middle both pickups. There will be no volume or tone pots involved.

thanks
    kevinlee

2. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks, but still a bit confusing. I have the general idea but not the exact wiring layout I want. Or maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it. I suppose I can find it through process or elemination or trial and error but it'd be nice just to see a diagram that applys to what I need. Electroinics/wiring is not my strongest suit.

3. 4365822719_b461b36989_o.

The switch wiring is in this diagram, disregard the rest of it.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The problem isn't the diagram but the switch. DPDT mini switches come if different types. The "standard" version has only two positions and essentially switches two wires each between two other places. Hence the name Double Pole (it actually two separate switches that work from the same handle) Double throw (means you can connect the center wire to one or the other place)

But what you want is a more advanced version which is a 3 position switch but is still listed as DPDT. These come in two types: One is called On-off-On [by the way the two position standard type above is called On-none-On] And the other is called On-On-On. The On-Off-On connects two wires to one place or a second place and it is disconnected in the center position. In a guitar or bass this would allow you to select pickup A or Pickup B and the bass would be Off in the center position. The other version is similar except that in the center position both sides are connected simultaneously. Hence as a pickup switch BOTH pickups are on in the center position.

All these switches are wired the same it's just what they DO that is different. So you have to search for an On-On-On DPDT switch to do the job you want.

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks for the hellp folks.....