1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR-660 Dr. Rhythmn with trigger??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jun 23, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I just opened the box of the DR-660 I got from Dave Henning here at TB. I couldnt find an answer in a quick scan of the manual so I am asking here.

Can I use a drum trigger or even a drum pad to bring up a drum sound? We are thinking of doing this live.

In other words our drummer will have a trigger or pad hooked to the Dr-660 that he will hit for a drum sound.

2. Are you trying to get the Dr-660 to play a drum beat, or just a drum sound?

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    A Roger Linn design... ;-)

You can do it with MIDI. There are premade options or you could make your own with a small microcontroller and a pressure sensor.

Or you could hack one of the built-in pads.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just to play a drum sound. We are looking to use it to create a low sub sound for some reggae type songs etc.

So a premade option is what we are looking for.

Any ideas?

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    The 660 has MIDI in, so anything semi-programmable with MIDI out should work. If you search MF you will find maybe a half-dozen MIDI precussion pads- they are very nice but they are expensive. Could you maybe use a small key controller? Not sure what presentation you're going for.

Homemade option would cost maybe $30, but would require soldering and approx 3 liters (minimum) of Dr. Pepper....

-----

Another idea is to get something older off eBay. This could probably be done for <$75.

You may also find this illustrative or interesting: http://www.harmony-central.com/Drums/EDW/Articles/MIDI-Introduction.html