DR-660 Dr. Rhythmn with trigger??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jun 23, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I just opened the box of the DR-660 I got from Dave Henning here at TB. I couldnt find an answer in a quick scan of the manual so I am asking here.

Can I use a drum trigger or even a drum pad to bring up a drum sound? We are thinking of doing this live.

In other words our drummer will have a trigger or pad hooked to the Dr-660 that he will hit for a drum sound.
  2. Are you trying to get the Dr-660 to play a drum beat, or just a drum sound?
  3. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    A Roger Linn design... ;-)

You can do it with MIDI. There are premade options or you could make your own with a small microcontroller and a pressure sensor.

Or you could hack one of the built-in pads.
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just to play a drum sound. We are looking to use it to create a low sub sound for some reggae type songs etc.

So a premade option is what we are looking for.

Any ideas?
  5. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    The 660 has MIDI in, so anything semi-programmable with MIDI out should work. If you search MF you will find maybe a half-dozen MIDI precussion pads- they are very nice but they are expensive. Could you maybe use a small key controller? Not sure what presentation you're going for.

Homemade option would cost maybe $30, but would require soldering and approx 3 liters (minimum) of Dr. Pepper....

Another idea is to get something older off eBay. This could probably be done for <$75.

You may also find this illustrative or interesting: http://www.harmony-central.com/Drums/EDW/Articles/MIDI-Introduction.html