1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR ad says more fundamental ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMan99, Oct 4, 2009.

1. I was reading a DR ad from a couple years ago. It said that other strings sound more of the harmonic making them sound an octave higher and that DR strings sound more fundamental thus sounding lower.
    What do you all think. True? I have been playing pro steels of late and I think they go pretty deep. I like deep and bright personally. Curious what you all think of this.
    Apolgise if this subject has been done.

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    The ad was probably for the Jonas Hellborg signature strings. If it were true you'd think more people would use those strings, but I honestly have never seen or heard anyone say "I use jonas hellborg DR's", let alone say they were nice strings. Just something I found interesting...

3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    A couple of months ago, I put some Hellborg strings on my Frankenjazz and immediately took them off. Nooooo. Then last week, I put them back on. Love them. Hmmm.... funny how that stuff works sometimes.

I always agreed with the notion that with most roundwound strings, the harmonic configuration is stilted towards giving low mid/mid "punch" over the fundamental.

The Hellborg strings are very clear, consistent, warm and the harmonic rebalance does lean more towards the fundamental, as advertised. But the midrange harmonic content is still there. A pretty cool (and different) string.

As with all DR strings, they feel good, too.