Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr Bass BL2260 impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Feb 24, 2006.

1. I got this cabinet about a month ago and have a couple gigs on it now.It has two Delta 12LFs,a 6 1/5"Eminence mid driver(one of the new line array mids)and a Sellenium horn tweeter.The side handles and the input and mid and high attenuators are inset into the cabinet a little and the mid and high knobs are on the side of the cabinet so you can get to them at a gig,nice.The build quality is great,good bracing and a 1"cleat going around all the edges and Marc builds his own crossovers for this cabinet.

It is about the same size as my Eden 210XLT and weighs about the same,a little wider and not as deep.I wanted a small cabinet that would kick on it's own and be able to hear it on stage.I do use the Eden alone on some jobs by itself and I love it but it but on bigger stages I'd have to add another cabinet.I don't think I'll have to do that with the BL2260.

The sound is what gets me.A few days after I got it I called Marc at Dr Bass and told him it is the best sounding cabinet I have ever heard.The bottom doesn't break up at even crazy volume and the mids are the cleanest I have ever heard,kind of like hearing yourself through studio monitors.The bottom end kind of growls in a good way,the kind of controlled rumble that l listen for in a good cabinet.Compared to my Eden the upper mids are way clearer but it doesn't quite sound as deep.I think it's just that the mids are so much more pronounced on the Dr Bass cab.The bottom on the Eden sounds a little less defined than the 2260.

I did have to wait a long time for this cabinet but I would like another.These things are just great.If you dont mind the wait they are worth every penny.

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Ya they are great cabs. I've got an Rx2260 that does the trick. Every once in a while I get the urge to stick another cab under it just cause I miss having a bigger rig on the stage but I really don't need it. I guess in time I'll get over having a periodic case of "cabinet envy". The Dr.Bass 2260 is one mighty little cab.
    Rezdog

3. I've been looking at getting some of these cabs. Since portability is a big issue for me, I've been looking at getting a 1260 (12", 6" mid, tweeter), then putting another 1260 under it when I have the cash. I often see them as "Avatars on steroids," but only because of the great prices.

Peace
    Drake

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    :cool: I have the little brother to the 2260 the 1260 BL
    1-12
    1-6
    horn

I got mine last year,and i waited 3 months for it,
    would i do it again;you bet

the most amazing cab i've ever played through!:p

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The BL2260 looks like it would be one of the best one-cabinet-for-all-your-needs cabinets out there. I thought about buying one, but it was bigger and heavier than I wanted. Can't argue that it's still light for a 2x12, though.

I ordered what I hope will be the next best thing - a BL1260 Neo - about 2 1/2 weeks ago and can't wait to get it. If it sounds half as good as your report on the 2260 I know I'm going to love it.

6. Thought I'd better put a couple pictures up here to make it a legal new equip.thread.Hey Rezdog,I know what you mean about adding a cab under it.We have some outdoor gigs at big events this summer and I might try to get another of Marcs cabinets like a 112 to put under the 2260 for the big stages.
    View attachment 30274 View attachment 30275

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Maybe we could do what KISS did back in ancient times and just put some extra empty cabinets on stage.
    Rezdog

8. Yeah,I should have mentioned the an added cabinet would be for looks mostly.A buddy of mine borrowed it last night and ran it through my rig(RBI pre/Crown CE 1000 bridged)in a fairly big crowded bar playing classic rock with an old P bass.I coud hear the punch of the low mids about 60' away at the bar even though the people in the room soaked up most of the highs and mid by the time the sound got back there.On the dance floor it sounded great,I ended up turning the 6.5 all the way up for him and it really cut.If it lacked anything it could use some boost on the low E and below but it never breaks up and still rumbles the room.Now that I've heard it out front I like it more.