1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dr Bass BL310 & carvin bx1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GODSENT, Jun 30, 2007.

1. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!it sounds soooooooooooooo good! better than anything i have ever played through. and i mean ANYTHING! i feel like such an ass for, 1) giving mark a hard time, and 2) wasting time and money on anything else!!!! Geeze this thing is awesome. i will never want for anything else!!!!!!

Dr bass BL310. what can i say. this thing sounds awesome!!! light compact enclosure that as far as i can tell will take anything i throw at it! i have a conklin bill dickens 7 string bass tuned to a low a and it dosent sweat at all. if i would have to characterize the cab would say that it was flat with a tad bit of mid coloring to it, but thats a good thing in my opinion. the cab sounds really meaty when you put some of the sub lows in it. but its not a sub lows cab. meaning that at extreme volumes it couldnt handle say 50k and below. but it works really well in a live setting.
    Carvin Bx1200. i got mine used, and with the exception of the bass knob not working ( i had to compensate with the graphic eq) this head is really good. it is however a little harsh in the high mids( i have played through this head into numerous cabs). but overall the head is very versatile and i feel i could get any tone out of it that i wanted to. and i could eq my way through any room.the overdrive on the amp sucks major @$$ though, but i wont be using it, just tried it out, and its really bad.
    all in all this is a really good setup. all for a little over a grand, i have a lightweight, compact awesome sounding rig.i would recommend dr bass to anyone!!! (except those who have little or no patience:D the guy makes awesome cabs. i would compare them to anything out there. IMHO you cant beat his cabs, i could probably do better with the carvin head, and i MIGHT eventually, but its a good head and i dont see myself getting rid of it anytime in the near future!!! MY GAS IS CURED!

2. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Its not overdrive. The drive control works like the boost control on a GK. If you were expecting overdrive its not surprising that you are disappointed.

3. Glad you like your setup and the Dr. Bass cab. I really enjoy my little BL1260 NEO.

I have a fairly funny (maybe ironic) story about my cab - last weekend we played a fairly large club venue (pictures in the Skjold thread). My rig was a Traynor YBA-200 into the Dr. Bass cab (single 12", 6" mid-driver, and compression horn). The place has a massive PA installed and a high/deep stage (not hollow...built correctly with cross installed beams...still used my Gramma's). Every instrument, voice, and drum were run through the system per our normal method of relying on FOH PA support (whether our own or the venue's). After the first set, the sound guy asks me to turn DOWN on stage as he has me completely out of the house. (our stage volume was perfect for the other guys, so we wound up putting just a touch of bass into the monitors to compensate)

Realize that the place had several hundred people - the main room is very deep and wide, both guitarists both use full half stacks with 100 Watt tube amps apiece, and the drummer is not "holding back" by any means. My tiny (almost comically small in comparison to the other rigs) Traynor/Dr. Bass rig cut it with the group for the ENTIRE CLUB!

I love the 1260 design and idea. In fact, I'm completely sold on separate mid-drivers as well.

Jay

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Glad you like it.I've got thr RX310 and think it's great too.I used it for a big Mini Sturgis gig locally with my RX115 under it on a very large stage and it sounded huge.On the 4th we've got a big city wide concert to do outside with a large FOH system and I'm going to use the RX310 by itself just to see what it can do.With these big gigs I just want to get a good stage sound because the bass is going through the PA anyway but sometimes it's harder than you would think to hear yourself.From what I've heard so far the RX310 should do great.

Enjoy your cab Godsent,I think they are great too.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021