1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dr.Bass BL310 or Avatar B410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmain, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Looking at these two right now as a possible stand-alone cab for bigger gigs.

Can anyone compare the two?

2. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Or just give me some more info on either.

3. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I really couldn't comment on the sound difference between the two but i know the Avatar will be cheaper and you will get it much sooner. I think if you do some searching you will find a lot of info on the Avatar 410, but maybe someone else can give a good comparison between the two.

4. Don't order the 310 if you need something soon. It will be an amazing cab if you can handle the wait. Some people can, many can't then proceed to whine about it.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You're comparing a 310 and a 410?
    Not a fair fight...

6. saxabass

saxabass

Feb 19, 2007
    Heard awesome reviews about both, but I'm assuming that Dr. Bass's will be closer to the "hi-fi boutique" range. He uses really great componentry and his cabs are built likt tanks. I just got a 3 way 212 from him and it rocks (and jazzes and funks as well).

7. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA

I know, but it's what I'm looking at right now. I think the 310 would handle most my needs and be the right weight. I've heard good things about both, but leaning towards the 310 right now.

8. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bet those are nice. I like the idea of a 3-way cab (dug the EA VL cabs I had). The 2x12 is a bit on the heavy side for me. Like alotta folks, I'm trying to balance getting a hefty sound within reason regarding weight.

edit: read it too quick to get the :D --- I can dig all those.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm not much help as I've never tried a Dr. Bass cab, but I did own the B410Neo for a while and I though it was a great cab.

10. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks Tony. IYE, did it have a good range (lows, mids, highs) and how was the tweeter? I'm a little spoiled with the Epifani tweeter.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hmmm...yeah, it doesn't touch the epi tweeter, but it isn't bad at all. The cab does have fantastic lows and decent highs, but compared to my UL410 the mids aren't as present, but what is. :D

12. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    So, a good all-around cab, eh? Something that would do Tx Blues, classic rock and some funk gigs?

13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Ah, here is where I come in. I have an Avatar B410, and I upgraded the tweeter to a selenium model that I got from Parts Express for $30.

In truth, I think the delivered Foster horn would be just fine in most cases, and I don't mean to imply that an upgrade is needed to make the 410 a usable cabinet. It is frankly excellent out of the box, and I have two other Avatar cabs (a 210 and a 112) that I have not and will not bother to upgrade.

The selenium tweeter is somewhat less forward, a bit more smooth, and a little less clicky at high volume for guys like me who run a pretty trebly tone. It was $30 including the required horn replacement, certainly not pushing the 410 cabinet out of the super-good-value range at all. It did require a very trival amount of additional cut on the horn hole in the cab, as the new horn is square rather than circular. It took a half hour total.

In all - the 410 is a really good cabinet, and as people have already said, if you order one today you will be playing through it next week. I like to think that the tweeter upgrade closes some of the gap between this cab and the UL410 I couldn't convince myself to splurge on, but I would recommend the Avatar 410, as delivered, to anyone.

EDIT: part numbers 264-225 and 264-306 from partsexpress.com if anyone is interested.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I own an Avatar 410 Neo,and a 212 Neo that I got just a week ago. I ordered the 212 on a Friday afternoon,and it was at my door the following Thursday.That's all the way across the country, in 4 working days. If Dave has them in stock,you'll have it within a week. You can also get them with the new coating that is popular now. Avatar is the way to go.Great cabs,top notch service.

15. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Will,

Sounds like I'm about where you were regarding the UL or Avatar cab. Thanks for the info on the tweeter too. It's good to know.

73jbass,

Good to hear of the fast delivery time and the good review. How would you compare your 410 & 212?

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Most definitely. But maybe the B212 neo is a little more up your alley for that kind of music?

17. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'll take that into consideration. GASing yes, whining no.:)

18. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I like the warmth of the 12's, but would like the punchier sound of the 10's. Maybe?

19. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i am beginning to think i am going to be a 12's guy. the oldschool side by side epifani 2x12 cab was my favorite thing i have ever palyed through...i am deffinitely interested in the avatar 2x12 though. im sure you will be happy with either decission though.

20. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had an Avatar B410 neo and have a Dr Bass RX310 now.I also put a Selenium tweeter in mine,a DT150,and it did smooth out the high end some but the Foster sounds good too like WJGreer says.

My take is the RX310 is smaller,lighter by about 15 pounds and has a better upper midrange than the Avatar.I can hear the RX310 much better than the Avatar on stage,it has more presence in the mids.The Avatar can get louder of course but the RX310 is loud too,I used it with a 115 on a real big stage last weekend and the two cabs together sound huge.The new horn Marc is using in his cabs is great,that's the only upgrade I had done to my cabinet.The RX310 also has very good lows and sounds tighter on the low end than the Avatar,I won't need my RX115 for any bar gigs or indoor shows.I could have got by with just the 310 last weekend.

I am not dissing the Avatar at all,it's a great cabinet,it just didn't work that well for me.It's easy to haul around,gets a great old school type tone and sounds better than the Peavey and Carvin 410s that I've owned before and gives the big guns a run for the money.If you don't need quite the volume of the Avatar but want something louder than a 210 with better mids the RX310 would be a great pick.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021