Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass Cabs: 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone have one...or better yet two? they were reccommended in my avatar post, and i was wondering if i have two will it be as punchy and clear as i want? i'm all about the symmetry (and volume.)

any insight into these cabs in greatly appreciated.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Call Marc (Dr. Bass) and ask him about it. He's a certified sound engineer and a heck of a nice guy. Just tell him what you're after and let him talk, you'll walk out of the conversation knowing quite a bit more than you do now, he's a really interesting guy to talk to.

3. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I've got a Dr Bass 212 on the way right now.. Should have been here already but Marc (dr bass) had a family emergency to attend to. Hopefully will come soon...

I will let you know how it sounds with an Ashdown MAG300 head when it arrives.

4. I've got one - or better yet two for sale if you wanna PM me ....

5. Curious why you're selling them. 4 or 8 ohms? What was your overall opinion of the cab and what were you driving it/them with? Thanks in advance...

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
  7. These are THE 1260 and 1060 prototype cabinets, two of four unique cabinets made for NAMM last year, and they became standard products for Dr. Bass. They are 8 ohm, and nearly identical to the current models, except they were made with 1/2 ply instead of the 3/4 ply (or MDF) that Marc currently uses, the handle placement is not ideal, and the 12" has a neo driver. The 10" had one too, but is being changed to a standard mud-magnet (Marc say's this is the way to go in this cabinet).

They're very light, and as a PAIR, they sound great - full and full-range, I think because you get four similarly voiced but different sized speakers: a 12", 10", 8", and a 6". I ran them with a T'Funk or AMP BH420 Head, and one cabinet has a 4" rack built in.

I'm selling these two little bits of history primarily to raising money for a new project.

8. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003

I'd have to agree with this. Similar to my config and "as a pair" they sound really cool. Individually, they sound pretty good and you're definitely heard but together, they borg together and come up with this really gritty low end sound that cuts through really well. I drive mine with a GBE 500H and they sound really nice to my ears.

9. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm currently looking into 2x12 cabs to have for a different project i'm going to be doing. how do the dr. bass cabs compare to the avatars?

also...does anyone have pictures of the dr. bass cabs?

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
  11. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    well i really like the looks of the cabinet. more so than the avatar...but i'm curious as to how the quality/sound/power handling compares to the avatar?

12. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    It just depends on what youre looking for. My 210 Avatar moved more air.... was louder than my 212 Dr. Bass when using an Eden WT-330. The 212 kicked butt with my GBE 400. The 210 Dr Bass was awesome with my SWR SM-400S...
    Its all a matter of the "combination"

13. snake:>~

snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    My RX212 is set to arrive tomorow, and I would like to send a shout of support out to Marc and his family. I do not know of the most recent developments, but when we last spoke on the phone(maybe a couple of weeks ago at the most), his plate was pretty full. If you are trying to get in touch with him, be patient, as he is setting up a new, larger shop right now due to the increased business. This guy knows bass, and can answer most any question you have for your configuration. I will hopefully be unboxing my cab and going straight to a pratice to give her a workout, so I should be able to report back on the performance soon.

14. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I am also looking at 212's, and would like to compare the Avatars with the Dr. Bass cabinets