1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dr Bass Cabs High-end or Not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptidwell, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I am a huge Epi fan with five cabs, also have Bergs as well.
    I have heard a little about these cabs but have not seen or heard them live. Can someone tell me about the quality, construction, and components, and how they might stack up next to say UL310 or UL210 or maybe a UL112 stack.

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    i don't think with dr bass it's a question of high end or not... they make a couple of different level of cabs and at pretty modest price points. at the same time, they can accomodate some custom orders because the main guys that run the show also build the cabs (which is a nice way to do it).

i've never played dr bass, but from comments on this board i gather that their stuff is generally well made in regard to build quality. they probably don't do as much engineering work as a bergantino or epifani as evidenced by the cab designs that don't change when different drivers and materials are used.

also, in the past, some people have complained about long wait times in receiving their orders. i don't know if it's still the case, but it's something to keep in mind.

still, according to their website, their main focus is making affordable, good quality equipment "for working musicians"... in that they seem to succeed. that's what i've gleaned anyway.

3. I can't compare them to the products that you mention. My "boutique" cabinets right now are all EA products. However, I will say that Marc seems to find a nice "middle ground" between products such as Avatar, etc. and the very high-end boutique cabinets that you mention (Epifani/Bergantino/etc.). His construction is easily on par with anything out there - absolutely no compromises. In addition, I would go so far to say that his crossover networks might just be the best out there...just amazing work. The previous poster mentioned "engineering" differences, and I would agree. I'm not sure as much "high-level" R&D has been done with regard to matching cabinet volume/design with different drivers. My custom BL1260 is a fantastic rock cabinet - and it has a phenomenal 3-way network - so it sounds great. But it is not a "hi-fi" cabinet unless you spend a decent amount of time eq'ing your sound through your amp as well as setting the mid/hi levels on the cabinet. In addition, the cab definitely has a few "hot-spots" as far as cabinet response to different notes - probably a result of the crossover rf curves in conjunction with the box's design. This creates a less-than-perfectly flat rf response "out of the box" as it were. As a way of comparison - the M-Line Wizzy is flatter and smoother up and down the frequency range "out-of-the-box" without any tweaking at all (if that helps).

This is/was my experience. I'm EXTREMELY nit-picky with my opinions. The proof is in the pudding as well - I use this cabinet at every rock and roll show...in fact, it's the only cabinet I bring to those shows. It really gets a fantastic, punchy, in-your-chest sound with great projection for a cabinet that almost looks comically small next to the guitarist's rigs. In addition, the three-way design and crossover have allowed me to run 2400 watts (well, obviously the amp wasn't actually putting all 2400 watts into it at any given time) into it from the QSC PLX 2402 bridged (my cabinet is a 4-ohm NEO). It has never broken a sweat. In fact, the only speaker "break up" I've ever heard is with the 200-watt Traynor tube head...and that's power tube breakup as reproduced by the driver...it's not straining at all. So please take my "criticisms" with a grain of salt. In addition, I wrote Marc yesterday about starting to talk about a cabinet designed from the get-go to complement an all-tube power section - so I obviously like his products.

Hope that helped a little bit,

Jay

EDIT: I have NOT tried the new Beyma drivers...need to put that disclaimer out there.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    One might even hazard to say that internal box volume isn't really being optimized by the majority of bass cab manufacturers, boutique or not. They are using fairly standardized sizes, and if one is lucky the tuning itself is being tweaked for the particular woofers chosen, and the designer's preferences for a particular alignment/response.

The Dr Bass stuff at every level looks to be very well made, and as good as it can get, given that caveat that applies in general to most bass cabs.

5. I'm so much a fan of the EA boxes...definitely not much "standard sizing" going on there.

I do like my Dr. Bass cabinet...but given the OP's question (and having tried Epifani/Berg/Ampeg/Aguilar/EA/etc.) products, I wanted to at least share my impressions. I did find several of the so-called "boutique" products to be noticeably more hi-fi and flat across the rf spectrum than my Dr. Bass product (which is fairly new, btw - it was built one year ago).

Good points, btw.

Jay

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Nope. They seem to design from the ground up on their enclosures, and really, it pays.

7. I agree!!!

8. I wonder if tthe opinions above would hold true for the Low Down Sound custom cabs?

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Don builds great stuff that can really perform - if the person commissioning a cab actually lets him. You can see that there are a lot of designs pictured at his site, and maybe some of those you might consider questionable. I know I do. But he gives good advice. All one has to do is take it, once they have described what they are after.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Word on the street is that there's a TB'er selling a Dr Bass cab at a very nice price ;)

11. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Thanks Jay & GreenBoy.
    I was on the website and liked some of the offerings, the concert series interest me but in a 410 perhaps.
    Jay since you own one how would you discribe the sound (is it a three-way design?) scooped, harsh, warm tight lows, is it cutting, clear. There are just so many words to discribe a cab, and everyone ear is a bit subjective in what they hear, so in your opinion or anyone eles who has Dr. Bass cabs tell me what you hear. I don't know anyone who has one, so i would probably have to buy one, so here I am gathering info. (EDIT) BTW my power source is a aggie DB750 and aTFunk TFB550-B, I run the aggie flat, but tweek the TF to get as close as I can get with SS amplification to the aggie sound.
    Your replys are appreciated.

12. Mine is a three-way design. I REALLY like the idea of the extra mid-driver - looking to replace my PA mains with three way boxes as well.

The sound is definitely not scooped or harsh. There is a definite boost in the low mids of this box, yet the notes are articulate enough (i.e. it's not a muddy box). I find that with most heads/amps I've had to actually boost the "high" L-Pad on the side of the cab to get a more even response across the board, and in addition (per my post above) there are some frequency "hot-spots" that boom a bit if you take the time to listen to how the box responds to every note on your fretboard. Lows are fine and plenty focused...I play 4 and 5-strings with no issues using this as a single cab. Great power handling even though the 12" NEO driver is rated at 300 watts (I think, might be 250). It's never had a problem with power (as I mention above) even when I use the PLX 2402 bridged at 4-ohms into it.

Keep in mind that my box is a single 12" driver, a 6.5" mid driver, and a bullet horn. The horn sounds nice, and the mid-driver sounds fantastic.

In any case, there are some "words" for you - I've never tried the Beyma drivers, so I have no feedback for you on them. As I said above, it's an articulate box, but it's not a "hi-fi" box. I think I'm a bit spoiled for that with the EA cabs.

Jay

13. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I love my Dr. Bass 2260 (which is now the 2460) - 2x12, 3-way, 1000w. THat said, I have not compared it against the "high end" stuff out there. But, our good frind Tom Bowlus has. CHeck out his shootout comparisons here - http://bowlusblog.blogspot.com/.

I think you will find that, for the price, the Dr. Bass cabs MORE than hold their own. Several TBers have these cabs and love them. Do a search under "Amps" for the term "2260" and you will see what I mean.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021