Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass cabs? Know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emprov, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'm looking to add a second cab and I ran across Dr. Bass. Since I haven't heard of them, I sent the owner, Marc, an email and he said that there are some threads about them over here. Counldn't find any though. Anybody use them?

2. there are several threads here on TB about these cabs, just use the "search" function

:bassist:

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Tried it a few times and no results come up.

4. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    You're right. Dr Bass is hard to search on. I just did it and got every post with "bass" in it.

Anyway, having read the posts I think the impression is pretty good. Good enough that after talking to Marc a couple of times I ordered a BL2128 from him. I think I'll be seeing it next week. I'm also looking forward to my Thunderfunk arriving so I'll actually be able to give a review.

dunc

Future search help...
    Dr. Bass
    Dr.Bass
    DrBass

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I'm waffling between a 4 ohm Avatar 212, & the Dr Bass equivalent.

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    dunc, did you get 4 or 8 ohm? Let us know how you like it when you get it. I almost pulled the trigger on a Dr. Bass 212 on a couple occasions. Lightweight factor gets my vote over the Avatar. I think it's ike 20 lbs lighter. I am particularly interested in how well it does with you're ThunderFunk since I have a very similar AMP.

7. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003

Cool, thanks. He has a 1260 that looks pretty interesting. A 12, 6 and compression horn. I'd love to hear from somebody respectable who's tried them before doing it though. Looking forward to reading the review!

8. I'll probaby get some of these cabs, but not until after July (my wedding) That doesn't help much I know, sorry.

9. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I got the 2124 which is 4ohms, 1000watts and 57lbs. I wanted 4 ohms to get the most out of the Thunderfunk and I knew I wouldn't be able to get away (at home) with getting two single 12, 8 ohm cabs. Hopefully, 57lbs won't be too heavy. If it is I'll have to experiment with sneaking other cabs into the house. Also, Marc described the sound of the 2124 as punchier than 500watt 212 he sells. But I really just figured that for $100 extra it was worth getting the better speakers and I definately like punchy. I've never been one to experiment with equipment much. If fact, I still own the only 2 basses I've ever bought!

10. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I'll be giving Marc a call tomorrow and I may just wind up buying a few cabs. He said that the lead time is 2-3 weeks! (yikes!). When/if I get them, I'll have to put them side by side against my Ampeg 410's and Aggie GS112 and post a review for you guys.

11. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Just ordered a 1260 and 1080 w/Deltas. Should be about 3 weeks to my door. Reviews to follow...

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi.I use the rd model 115 cabinet that contains an emminence kappa speaker and a high frequency tweeter (in at 3500 cycles)The cabinets have an elastomere coating that is super hard and tough.I have a 4 ohm version (to get the most out of my Thunderfunk amp).The cabinet will handle 450 watts and weighs 42lbs.I like it alot, but I am working with Marc to replace the tweeter with something that will come in a little lower as the emminence's top response is 2500 cycles.The cabinet is tuned and ported and will put out mountains of sound.I use it as my main rig now as I do alot of one nighters and I don't feel like lugging around a massive rig.The combination of the Thunderfunk and the Dr. Bass Cab have done jobs in 1000 seat auditoriums and dingy little lounges and have been more than adequate for any venue I have encountered.The price is very reasonable too, and he is starting to build the NEO cabinets as well if you want really light cabinets that put out alot of sound.The Neo's are about 3 times the cost of his normal cabinets though.He makes cabinets with 10' and 12's also if the 15's are not to your liking.

13. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Mel, have you put it up side by side against other cabs? If so, what was the outcome? I guess it's a little late to be asking these questions but I'm pretty eager to get them.