1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr Bass cabs on reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Jul 10, 2018.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I have a pair of Eden EX110's and paired with a GK MB500 they put out an excellent amount of thump for a pair of small speakers. I keep looking for a reason to sell them because I'm not particularly fond of carpet but man they sound too good for the money. I don't know how Eden gets so much bottom end and sound out of such a tiny pair of speaker cubes. Highly recommended. I'd buy the EX112's. Incredible value for the money, come with a one year warranty, $299 each free shipping.

Al Kraft and deepestend like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    These days I wouldn't even considered used unless you can verify that the cab in question (CIQ) was one that the seller actually ordered and received from Marc, the Terrible. Otherwise, it is possible that the CIQ may have been paid for by someone who never actually received it from Marc, the Terrible.

3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    To the OP, this cab has received too much bad juju. Pass on it brother. Get the Edens! :D

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. Plus 1 for the Eden

alaskaleftybass and Al Kraft like this.
  5. Bergantino
    GK
    Fender Rumble
    Mesa
    Mark Bass
    Hartke
    Ampeg
    To name a few.... lotsa good 112+horn cabs around...
    And, ..the Fender Rumble 115 is a compact, light, good sounding and reasonably priced cab, even brand spankin new... they do make a 112 also. Or did. Think it's discontinued, but.... 2nd hand

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    One great thing about forums like this is that they inform others of people/companies to avoid so that tough lessons need not be learned by everyone personally. The other great thing is that they offer good insights into products and companies that have proven to deliver good results for certain sets of requirements.

There are a number of great suggestions that have been offered for getting a great cab (or cabs) on a limited budget. While I own some very high end and expensive gear I also have an Eden EX110 and would agree that for the money, those Eden EX series cabs are pretty amazing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. While I appreciate the sentiment, there was nobody who got a free cab from the terrible Dr, unentitled to sell said cab, only people who paid and got nothing.

Quid pro quo, all cabs out in the world are fair game. Just don't support the terrible Dr. and one better if you remove the badging.

Sooner or later the terrible Dr will be marketing his product through 3rd parties to avoid the stank of his past criminal activity. Be on the lookout.

8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Lots of good advice here!

Practical question: I have a 4ohm ampeg pf350 amp. I just got it and played it through an 8 ohm son of big Bertha swr cab last night at our practice space. Sounded great and was loud enough for practice.

I was gunning to get a 4 ohm to match my amp but wonder if maybe i should try for an 8ohm to have the possibility of adding another cab if i need it. This is mostly for home jams and to have a rig to play out if i need it and there isn’t one at the venue.

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I suggest never get a 4 ohm cab unless you have a 2ohm capable head.

S-Bigbottom and deepestend like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    While I appreciate you advice, you totally missed my point.

11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    This is the kind of info that is super helpful. Please tell me more...

There's an Aguilar GS 12 for $200 on CL that I was going to pass up because it's 8 ohm.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    what hes saying is that when using smaller cabs, like 1x12s, 2x12, 2x10s, 1x15s and even 4x10s, its best to get an 8ohm in case you ever need to add an additional cab for more volume and then adding another 8ohm would give you a 4 ohm load that is supported by most heads. Save the big cabs (2x15, 8x10, 6x10, 4x12) for the 4ohm values because they can always be stand alones.

deepestend likes this.
  13. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    go with the 8 ohm cabinet. If you need more power you can add another cabinet, because your amp can handle up to 4 ohm load. to 8 ohm cabinets is a 4 ohm load. You wont get your full 350 watts with the 8 ohm cabinet by itself but it should be enough power to be good and loud, if you need more power you can add another cab

deepestend likes this.
  14. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    thank you thank you

15. /\/\3phist0

You only lose a little power, but when you need more cone surface, you've got nowhere to go if you choose too low impedance out of the gate. If you commit to the max power/ lowest ohms option, it had better be all you will ever need to cover all gigs cause that's all you have.
    2x12 , 2x15,410, 6-810 ok.
    Anything less, is too limiting

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Al Kraft and deepestend like this.
  16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I have the same amp. The PF-350 is actually 4 or 8 ohms depending on what cabs you use. If you use a 4 ohm cab you can only use one. If you use an 8 ohm cab you can use two and get much more perceived volume.

BadExample and deepestend like this.
  17. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe name change time for the good bad doctor. Nurse Bass cabs?

18. The Aguilar cabinet would be a great choice at that price as long as the woofer is in good shape . Had one many years ago , very good cab .

19. /\/\3phist0

Or just drop the (B) ...

BadExample likes this.
  20. what was the point I missed? You seem to be counselling against buying a used cab from a fellow bassist unless certain the cab was paid for by the fellow bassist. How else could anyone come by a cab?