Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dr. bass cabs vs. ashdown mag

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jun 19, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    can someone give me an idea how dr. bass cabs compare to the ashdown mag cabs. im in ireland and am looking for a new amp and was previously looking at ashdown mage 2x10 and a 1x15 but then i saw dr. bass cabs and the price vs. quality seems very good but it would mean an extra €130 or $160 so thats a lot of money and im worried that if anything goes wrong they have to go back to the states to be fixed whereas with the ashdowns they only have to go to the UK. i suppose if they really are that much better i could probably stretch the extra €130 but is it really worth it?

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I haven't played on the Dr Bass cabs but somethings to consider are. The Drbass cabs are not as big or deep as the Ashdown. Dr bass is 18h x 20.25w x 15"d vs. Ashdown 18.4h x 23.8w x 16.5"d so you can expect a lower ranging cab with the Ashdown. Also if you are considering the Drbass Rx series of cabs it should be noted that they are made with 1/2" medium density fiberboard and not plywood although people who know good cabinet construction say these are still solid cabs. I believe Ashdown are 3/4" plywood. I have recently received an email reply from Ashdown and they state that contrary to what their web site says there is no tweeter in the Mag 115T deep cab. They originaly intended to but space would not allow in the end .

Drbass cab is 2.9approx. cu ft. internal volume figured at 1/2" material thickness. The Eminence site says the Beta 15 recommended cab volume should be 3.75 to 6.25 cuft.for that speaker. But the Emin. site also says it is rated at 350w and Drbass says it's 300w so maybe it's a later version of this model speaker causing this spec difference. In my opinion I would go with the Ashdown cab especially considering your location.

3. I live in England and have recently started to venture into my new rig set up.. I can't find a company that makes cabs as good as ashdown for the money! I also tried the abm range and they don't sound like they are worth the extra money! I also want a portable system and the MAGs are a little smaller!

I dunno if Dr Bass stuff is availible here but I'd probably still stick with Ashdown cos' they are based here and the shop 10 mins from my house sells them!

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Kinda depends on what you're after. Never tried Ashdown and the only Dr. Bass's that I've been exposed to are mine so my opinion's a bit one sidded. My Dr. Bass's rule the low-mid's and everything above. The cabs have tons of punch, volume and clarity and about the only thing that I'd consider replaceing them with would be *maybe* Accugroove or some of the older EA stuff. Not the boomiest of all cabs but I love them just the same.

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah thats probably the best thing for me aswell. dr. bass sid they would ship the cabs for $200 each to ireland and while that is still cheaper than going into dublin and buying ashdown cabs i can get the ashdowns off andertonsonline.co.uk for £399 delivered or €595 whereas the dr. bass will total at €700 minimum including shipping and that figure could go up if i dont get charged the same duties i was charged on importing my new bass. so all in all and considering what was said about the ashdowns building i think i'll go for the ashdowns. sorry dr. bass i was so close to ordering from you and if i was in the states believe me i wouldnt think twoce about it but ashdown are closer to me if anything goes wrong and shipping is just rediculous from the states.