Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Dec 13, 2003.

1. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Has anyone heard of "Dr. Bass" cabinets? I am looking into buying a 2x10 and a 1x15 to complete my setup (my head is an Eden WT-400) and this guy's prices seem too good to be true. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them out and can give me some feedback (it's a small company based in South Carolina so I'm a little doubtful I'll get any responses). I play for a band called Zox, our style is a mix of rock, reggae, punk, and classical. Would these cabinets fit this style range? Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. The Dr. Bass website is www.drbasscabs.com.

thanks.

2. I've seen these cabs on ebay. I would not buy them. When you look at their site they say nothing about the speakers they use. That is a big turn off.

3. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    actually they do say which speakers they use-- Euphonic audio speakers... which, I've read, are awesome.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do you mean Euphonic or Eminence (I highly doubt EA offers OEM speakers), and I did no find any info on that website. Where did you read it?

5. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    you are right, it's Eminence. the info's on his posting on Ebay (go to www.ebay.com, type in 'dr. bass cabinet' in the search section). Are Eminence speakers of excellent quality?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can't tell from just the name, Eminence offers numerous speakers that differ in price and quality, they also do custom orders.
    Additionally this says nothing about how well those speakers work in that cab.

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

They may be OK, maybe not... No one knows yet. I didn't look how much they were but, if I had $500. lets say for speakers, I would either get a real good 4-10, or find some used Peavey 2-10/1-15 cabinets you can try out. They have decent quality and when you upgrade, you can get the same you paid for them selling them outright. If you get the Dr. Bass, and they suck, and try to trade them in, you won't get squat. Add the price of getting something better to what you lost out for the Dr. cabs and you've got more invested into it than you bargained for.

8. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I may still go through with it, though...
    Dr. Bass amps are tuned nice and low I think (from 40 Hz to 20 khz)... I imagine Avatar may not be too suitable for my 5 string. anyway, Dr. Bass has a 2 week trial period so i imagine i have nothing to lose (unless i have to pay shipping...)

9. I read opinions, but has anyone in here actually tried any (or is using) Dr. Bass Cabinets?

10. zoxbassist

zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    right. perhaps I'll I try them out (he has a 2 week trial period)... who knows, I may stumble across the next big thing for bass cabs (their prices are so cheap, they would compete with Avatar). Is there anyone out there who has tried out Dr. Bass cabs?

11. On the new Steely Dan album The Last Mall I thought I read that Walter Becker was using Dr. Bass and Thunderfunk equipment. If so, sound great.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    These cabs look interesting and the price is nice. I agree with previous posts, more detailed info on the drivers would be helpful to us gearheads (weight of magnet structure, construction of speaker frame, frequency response, wattage handling, etc.).

13. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I jumped off the deep end and purchased a 2 X 10 (700 watt) cab from Dr. Bass. It handles the bottom better than the SWR Goliath Jr. I tried. I've used it on two gigs. One was a straight rock gig. The other was a small office party. The cabinet handled the rock gig, but I'll probably purchase an additional 2 x 10 just to get that 4 X 10 kind of sound.
    I opened up the box and the Speaker magnet is almost as large as the cone. I am not terribly technical, but this looks like a fine speaker.
    The cabinets are very well made and have a great appearance. The owner of Dr. Bass worked with me to get my cab in time for the gigs, and I'm pleased overall with the exchange.
    I'm interested in what others have to say about the cabs. I am buying another. I guess that is putting my money where my mouth is.

14. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I found Dr. Bass on ebay over a year ago. I purchased a 1x15 from them. When I bought the owner Marc (who is a gigging bass player) was willing to stand behind his product. He said if I ran into any problems to let him know. I never did, but I did call Marc again when I wanted to expand my rig. I bought the 2x10 that can handle 700 watts and it puts out. I have owned a few 2x10s including SWRs and Peaveys and this blows them away in my opinion. I run my Carvin R600 which pushes 500 watts into the 8ohm cab and it fills a room.

I like the fact that I can call Marc and he can answer my questions. THe look of the cabinet is modern and easy to maintain. I do not think you can go wrong. Marc will not let it happen.

Go for it. Can not beat the price.

15. I need to recant my statement. The Steely Dan album does not mention Thunderfunk. I still can't figure out how I confused that, but it does in fact mention Dr. Bass in the thank yous. I could have sworn I read Thunderfunk....sorry.:rolleyes: