Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jongor, Sep 30, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Since I can't search for "Dr."......

Anyone use these cabs?

What are they like? Similar to Avatar?

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    i use dr.bass 1260 3way 12"-6"-horn,can't compare them to avatars cause i never herd avatars;i use this with a gibson gb440 amp and it is killer.mark serio&company are top notch in my book.hope this helps. :bassist:

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I've got the Rx2260 Dr. Bass cab and have been powering it with the Yorkville XS800H. I am extremely happy with this cab. After alot of research I chose it over Avatar,LowDown Sound, and Schroeder. Now I'm not saying anything against the cabs that I just mentioned but for my needs and taste I found that it does it best. It handles everything that the XS800H puts thru it. As much bottom,mid and highs as I want and as much punch or booty bounce I can dial in. It lets each of my basses speak with thier own voices. My Reverend Brad Houser 5 with tape wounds, ole Gibson Thunderbird with round wounds, Yamaha BEX4 and even a friends Big old upright double bass sound simply awesome thru this cab.
    It has 2X12"s, 1X6", and tweet and I got the 8 ohm version just in case I add another one. I went the Rx route and yes it is the MDF model and before you poo poo it I'll tell you this thing is as sturdy as a brick sh** house and has the truck liner covering as opposed to the now standard rat fur.
    It's already been dropped,spilled on,dragged,rained on and still looks and sounds brand new. Oh ya, this little box weighs in around 50lbs and gets really loud,keeps the tone, and will keep you happy at live indoor or outdoor gigs as well as recording. You will not get lost in the mix with this cab. Check out the Dr.Bass LLC site and go to the BL part of the site and you'll find a picture of my Rx2260 there. I'm a die hard big cab guy but I've found my kick butt mini cab. :hyper:
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

4. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i've got a 4ohm rx212. it's all i'll ever need, light and loud. it handles all the power that my gk can give it. very highly recommended...

5. I've got the rx212 and power it with 280 watt GK head and do outdoor and large(ish) indoor stages NO problem. Played at the Pepsico Music Theater at TCU for the Student body etc and it filled the hall nicely at less than half volume (7 piece band including a horn player a percussionist and drummer)

6. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Where can you buy these cabs?

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  8. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Hunh, nice prices. ;)

9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I've got a 2x12 ordered but it got delayed by hurricane Ophelia. I haven't heard if they are back up and running yet. I'd love to be able to report how Dr. Bass cabs are, but I haven't got mine yet. My choice was based on good reviews, the fact that I couldn't afford to go upscale, that they make the cabs themselves on the premises (Avatar doesn't do that), and that they would make a horizontal 2x12 for my stupidly long head.

10. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I've got one on order as well. It should be a couple more weeks. I can't wait!

I opted for the BL2260 in 4 ohm. Marc told me about some new 300 watt 12's he has that sound a little tighter than the 500 watters. After a fairly lengthy phone call from him, we decided on one EACH type of speaker (the 300 and 500 watt). The 500 watter will go on the bottom. With 2 12's, a 6, and a tweeter I think it'll be all the cab i need pushing it with my Eden WT400. :hyper:

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Marc has been gettin more than his fare share of trials and tribulations but I can assure you that it's worth the wait.
    Rezdog

12. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    It is a very substantial cab and I can't see anyone being unhappy with it. The price doesn't hurt at all but the bottom line is the sound. Flexible and, cause I can't think of any other term that works, projecting. It fills areas that I would have used two cabs to fill before. You got yourself a nice amp, by the way. I have a really old Yorkville and wish I had yours.

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ok, question:

What's the loudest amp with good bottom end thump? 210, 1260, or 115?

14. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm a good friend of Marc, From what he told me, the 115 is excellent for the bottom end

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Awesome! Will it handle enough highs for solos to not be lost, though?

16. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I had the chance to try out a Dr. Bass mini-stack consisting of a 1260 (one 12" Delta LF, one 6", one tweeter) and a custom 1080 (one 10", one 8", one tweeter). Each cab is wired for 4 ohms. I brought my own Tubeworks RT-3300 300 watt head and bass for evaluation, and also tried it with the owner's Genz-Benz GBE 500.
    First off, this mini-stack was LOUD!!! That was the first thing that got my attention. Second, this setup was probably the most articulate I've ever heard. By this I mean that every single nuance of my playing was suddenly laid bare, what some folk may call "hifi". For someone who might be a bit sloppy, this will be a shocker.
    I could also hear the difference between the two heads, with mine being older and having a more "old school" vibe (a bit noisy as well), and the GBE being very smooth and authorative.
    The owner had specifically wanted emphasis on the mid's, and this setup had it in spades. The highs were very clear, but never harsh. There was plenty of well-defined low end as well, which never got muddy or broke up, even when pushed hard.
    The 1260 sounds fantastic on its own, and may be the ultimate compact "does-it-all" cab. This one had a two-space Airhead for mounting the amp, making it a bit of a heavy combo, but still quite manageable.
    The Rx line is more than sturdy enough for anything other than open combat, and you'll never want rat fur again after you check out the covering.
    I agree that it is hard to figure out which model will provide the sound that you're after without hearing them in person. See if you can find people local who are gracious enough to let you audition these cabs (thanks, Dave!), and talk with Marc Serio. He has always taken time to reply to my queries, and really knows what he's talking about. His products bear this out.

17. bump

18. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I have new 1x15 nd 2x10 cabs from DrBass. Nice and small, and light with that sprayed coating. But small means you wont get as much full sound as a big cab. So far the trade off is worth the portability.

by the way, Marc seems a great guy but dont hold your breath getting one on time. I have to wait twice as long as promised for both cabinets. Other than that, great value.

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    How long a wait is that? Because my band's starting to gig in two weeks.

20. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I doubt he can do it by then....Everything is hand built to order