1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Dr. Bass custom made, mid-loaded, 2x12 cabinet with Faital Pro drivers (PRICE DROP)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by MarkA, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Price:
    $300
    NOTE: To keep this thread neat, if you have any questions, please PM me.

I am the second owner of this cab. The original owner (who spec-ed the high-end drivers and the vertical design) bought another cab during the year-and-a-half long wait for this one -- when he finally got it, he put it up for sale. The drivers weren't even broken-in when I received it.

It's a great cab, but I have a lot of great cabs and it's not getting used, so it's time to let it go.

About the cab...
    • two FaitalPro 12FH500 12" woofers
    • one W6N8-120 6.5" mid/high driver -- same mid, I believe, as used in the MAS Flex cabs and in the Baer ML-112
    • 4 Ohms and efficient -- it will get loud with a 500 Watt micro. It was a nice match with the Markbass F500 I had.
    • The cab is painted in what appears to be a heavy duty truck-bed liner -- thicker and more durable than Duratex.
    • 36"H x 16"W x 17 1/2"D, about 70 pounds
    Two things to point out:
    • The rubber on the wheels disintegrated and fell off (pictured). It didn't wear off, but just flaked off one day when I moved it across the carpet after it had been sitting awhile. Bad rubber, apparently! One of the rubber feet ($1 part) could also use replacing.
    • The spring-loaded handle on top of the cab rattles at volume. A folded-up washcloth or similar (used some napkins once) stuck underneath the handle stops it, but it's worth mentioning.
    Other than that, the cab works great. The drivers are in good shape -- never abused.

As is, the cab is easy enough to lift with its side handles and will roll around indoors on the wheels sans rubber. If I were keeping it, though, I'd install some beefy casters like this one. You would need to expand the cutouts in the cab slightly to fit them properly. Casters similar in size to the current ones could likely be fit without making the cutouts larger. I would in any case use some weatherstrip tape (or similar) to make sure the seal was airtight if installing new casters.

The drivers in this cab alone run ~$600 -- never mind the materials to make the box and crossover. I'll sell it for $350 OBRO. $300 cash, local. You can leave it intact and use it as-is or use the drivers for your own project. (I briefly considered picking up another mid and making it into two 1x12s.)

No shipping for now. I will, however, drive a reasonable distance from the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids, IA area, to meet you halfway.

Pics to follow.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    bassvirtuoso likes this.
  2. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
  3. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Debated whether to post this in this thread or not, but I am prompted to by a PM. On the off chance that someone here hasn't seen the sticky in the Amps forum:
    (Dr Bass/Marc Serio)-cab builder accepted >$10k in payments,never delivered gear

Summation: While Dr. Bass/Marc Serio started promisingly and built some very nice cabs, he didn't manage his business well, got into cash flow trouble, and ended up ripping people off by not delivering cabs that they'd paid for. I bought this cab from TBer @Jeff Scott, who started the above-linked thread. Jeff was, I believe, one of the last TBers to manage to get his cab from Dr. Bass (and he did have to wait a year-and-a-half).

I don't want to get further into the whole debacle in this thread -- there is the other thread for that -- but I mention it here in case someone sees this cab and thinks, "Mayble I'll order a new cab from that guy." There are plenty of other builders on TB who'll make you a nice cab and treat you ethically.

That said, the cab is un-badged (the little sticker on back will come off easily, as well) and it is a nice cab. When I got it, I played it against all the locally available Markbass, GK, and Ampeg 410s and 212s and preferred it to all of them. I got the cab at the end of 2010 -- I've had it about six years. I semi-retired it about three years ago, when I got my first MAS cab, and pretty much fully retired it a little over two years ago, when I got my MAS 112. I do prefer the MAS 112 overall (not just to this, but to most all cabs), but this cab needs less amp to crank (4 Ohms vs. 8 Ohms and a bit more efficient) and will grind in the mid-mids in a way the MAS cab won't. It's still fun to plug into when I visit my folks (it's been living in their basement for the last two years), but I have a little 110 for that and this cab deserves to be played!

That's it for this explanatory PSA. Again, if you have any questions at all, please address them to me via PM.

Thanks!

PawleeP likes this.
  4. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I did find one sound-clip of this cab. Made in October of 2015 -- a TBer contacted me asking about the sound of the drivers in this cab (he'd read some old posts of mine mentioning it, I think, and was considering a build of his own). I was visiting my folks and the only recording device I had was my laptop, so I set it on the floor some distance from the cab and made a quick, lo-fi clip and, with the caveat that the drivers would sound different in a different cab with a different crossover, emailed it to him. Remembered it today, searched my email, and there it was.

Again, this is just the built-in laptop mic, with the computer on the floor and maybe eight feet from the cab. Recorded with my passive P/J and a Markbass F500, set "flat" (controls at noon). Played some chords and harmonics to illustrate the mids and top end and then some E-minor doodle down to low E on the bridge pickup, both pickups, and neck pickup. Quick and dirty, but it reminds me of how well that cab worked with the F500 -- that's a smooth sounding amp, but the paper-cone breakup adds some nice texture to it, IMO.

Anyway, you can judge for yourself. Here's the clip:

Results will vary with instrument, player, and amp, of course, but that should give you a rough idea.

5. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Let me add to this post. I have a Dr. Bass 2x12 (what was originally marketed as the 2460, I believe). I got mine when Dr. Bass was legit, and before the problems started. These cabs are absolutely for real. Loud, deep, and constructed for serious use. Marc knew how to build bass cabs. He apparently didn't know how to run a successful business. While I can't vouch for this particular cab, I will say this is a hell of a deal for a Dr. Bass cab. GLWTS.

6. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you, sir.

7. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Wish you where closer Bump.. Sorry but these are great cabs especially with the Faitals, I know cause I have to 210 little brother to this Cab!!:thumbsup:

8. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Are you sure it weighs 70-75 lbs? Those drivers are very lightweight. I guess a well-built cab adds up.

Are you in Iowa City?

9. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    It's pretty solid -- 3/4" ply and heavier than my MAS 112, which weighs about 50 pounds -- but I'll double-check the weight when I get a chance -- the cab isn't with me at the moment.

PMing you re. the second part.

10. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    All PMs replied to. A good amount of interest, local and otherwise, but nothing definite, yet. Holding off on shipping for now, but if I decide to ship (associated costs would be on the buyer) I'll contact those who've PMed me that they'd take it, then, in the order that they PMed.

Thanks to all who've expressed interest so far.

11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Got some questions on the casters:

Here is what the current ones look like. The slots in the wood measure 1-1/2” x 2-1/16” in each direction.
    wheel%20pic_zpswqzfxxyw.jpg
    wheel%20pic%202_zpsmldabuaq.jpg

I don't recall there being a part number on the wheels and can't see one in the photos. As I mentioned earlier, if I were keeping the cab, I would replace them with these, from Speaker Hardware -- they look like they'd roll better across sidewalks, etc., and, according to Leland, there, they'd be more durable. You would, obviously, have to enlarge the cutout to fit them (per Leland, 2 1/2" wide x 2 3/8" long).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You could, alternatively, use these, which would be closer to the originals, but not exactly the same. Description on the Speaker Hardware site says 2x2x1-1/4 wide cutout, though one reviewer wrote, "Less plastic than the comperably-priced blue ones from Parts Express that I tried. The cutouts needed to be a little longer than 2" for the caster to fit flush, maybe 2 3/16"." I would use the bigger ones, though.

[​IMG]

The cab still rolls as-is, but, without the rubber on the wheels, you don't have a lot of clearance.

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Been busy, so I haven't bumped the thread. Doing so now. Waiting to hear back from a local and there is a gent who's first in line if I open this up to shipping, but nothing definite at the moment. If you're interested or have any questions, please shoot me a PM.

Danke.
    -Mark

13. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I can't believe this cab hasn't sold. It's a great deal. GLWTS.

bolophonic likes this.
  14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Danke. Appreciated.

15. DUB1976

DUB1976 Guest

Nov 13, 2015
    Wish you were closer I love my 212. Great cabs shame about the builder

cubanz likes this.
  16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Yeah, nice cabs and, if you buy this one, you stand a pretty good chance of actually getting it. ;)

Several TBers have made eyes at the cab, but no one's bought dance tickets yet.

Players in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area looking for a nice, mid-loaded 2x12, hit me up! Don't make me ship this thing!

17. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    VERY SWEET CAB!!!

18. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    This looks like a very good deal.

19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you, gents. I'm confident that it will eventually find the right home.

20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    In response to some inquiries about the cab's weight:

Cab on the bathroom scale: 69 pounds.

Cab + me on bathroom scale - me on bathroom scale: 72-73 pounds. (I think this was a bit much for the poor little scale -- it weighed me two pounds heavier after the first attempt, but the difference between my weight and the weight of me and the cab together, as measured by the scale, was consistent over several attempts.)

Anyway, according to the tools at my disposal, the cab appears to be in the 70 pound range, give or take a few.

Shape and handle placement make it relatively easy to move around -- I'd rather load it in and out of my car or navigate stairs with it than a 410 any day -- but it is what it is, weight-wise.