1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr. Bass did OK by me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shastaband, Apr 30, 2009.

1. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I've seen a number of posts concerning Marc at Dr. Bass. I'd like to relate my recent experience with him.

I am a previous customer of Dr. Bass, having bought two 115 cabs in 2006. Had to wait a while for them, but Marc had told me that I would. When the cabs arrived, I was very pleased with the construction and sound of the speakers, and have been using them regularly for three years now.

Recently, I had a big reunion gig with my band from 1978. I've been refining and changing my sound, and I wanted to try a new speaker configuration for this gig. I called Marc three weeks before the gig to see what would be available for delivery by that date. After some friendly consultation, I decided on a slant 1260 and one of the new 112LFs. Marc had them in my hands on time as promised, and they sounded GREAT on the gig. In fact, they sounded so good that I sold my Eden D212XLT cab two days later. The Dr. Bass rig will cover all of my 12 inch speaker needs. Marc did OK by me, and I wanted to let people know about it.

2. tiz_1

tiz_1

Jan 6, 2009
    Milford, CT
    I ordered a 2460D and a 112LF March 6. The 112LF was in stock but I saved on shipping by having both cabs shipped together when the 2460 was done. Marc and I discussed some customizations to the 2460 but I specifically said just to make a stock cab if it would delay delivery. He said they were delivering in 2-4 weeks as they had cleared up some supplier and manpower problems.

I'm still waiting. Latest was that the bedliner coating couldn't be sprayed due to wet weather (this is where the big forest fire is/was). Latest possible ship date quoted was 4/24. I've heard nothing since. Not unexpected as I read all of the threads on DR Bass before I dove in.

Marc seems like a good guy with a bad business model and probably a big backlog. If he had said 2 months or whatever, and then delivered it on time it would have been fine. But now it could be this week or any future week. It's not a big problem for me but I can see how it is for others.

I'm excited to get what I think will be great speaker cabs. I think unless you specifically call and ask for an in-stock item with no customization then you're in for an undetermined wait.

Here's hoping I get a tracking number Monday!

--Kevin

3. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    i had a very long wait, however Marc definitely took care of me... story and pictures forthcoming

4. I ordered my cab with an airhead the first week of November (2008). As of now I am still waiting on my cabinet. I typically speak to Marc once every week to two weeks. There have been a ton of delays and just as many reassurances. He told me that my cabinet would ship last Friday - not the first time he told me it would be shipping - still no tracking number. Next week is six months.

Am I disturbed by this? Surely - If I conducted business as such, I'd be out of business. I also have tried to be understanding that I have ordered a special item and that Marc has had a ton of stuff going on as of late. He is an absolutely great guy and really a breath of fresh air to talk with; and Dr. Bass comes with an excellent reputation - so I take it all with a grain of salt and do my best to be patient.

Still - I paid the day I ordered, sight unseen, some consideration is expected. Not to mention that an email and phone calls from Tuesday are still not returned.

I suppose that being that I haven't been gigging in recent months do to the end of one band and the beginning of another has pacified me since I haven't needed an amp to gig. But at some point, this all becomes much too unreasonable.

I await the cabinet, try to maintain composure and patience - but at what point do I tell him to refund me and look else where? B/C damn, I really want this cabinet.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Mine sounds great. The wait is brutal.

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    ^ agreed, i got mine on Tuesday the 28, I ordered July 17, 2008... it was absolutely worth it though, great quality, great sound

7. I ordered a 2460D September 2008. No upgrades. Still nothing.

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    You'll get it the 1st of July, maybe...:meh:

9. Sigh.................... I really hope to get it sooner. But I will never know. This is the one thing that I find really disturbing/bizarre. And I think most people will at least agree with me on this point only. At DrBass there are NO production dates. I have been in floor covering for almost 3 decades and have dealt with " will be produced the week of ". But I cannot even get a "month of production". Not trying to start another riot here. Just an observation on my part. Oh well, I guess I'll have it when it shows up at my door.

10. tiz_1

tiz_1

Jan 6, 2009
    Milford, CT
    I got mine just two weeks short of three months of waiting. Pestering for the last four weeks.

Sounds really wonderful. Pictures when I get some time for that.

Amen.

--Kevin

11. 10 weeks! Thats not possible! What did you order, an unloaded cab? It's been 8 months for me.......so far.

12. redstaraudio

redstaraudio Commercial User

Jan 24, 2008
    Owner, Redstar Audio
    As a manufacturer, there's a few reasons why they may not have hard and fast production dates. None of this is in ANY way meant to be a negative indication of their quality, their company, their product, etc. It's a simple set of reasons from a manufacturing perspective, and there's probably more than these that might apply:

1) They do not have the capital to invest, or they choose not to invest, in any standing inventory, even a minimal amount
    2) They invest in inventory, but are running too lean on their quantities, to try and keep overhead down (this is a reason for some leadtime, but not weeks and weeks of lead time)
    3) They have cab shells in stock, but do not keep enough inventory of other critical components (i.e. drivers) and then have supply chain issues when they need them
    4) They do not in-house cut their own panels and have to fight for a production slot in someone else's shop to cut and assemble
    5) More than one of the above reasons, at different times

All manufacturers fight these sorts of things, us included. There's no perfect solution, and its tough to get it right, until you have a really steady pipeline. But even then, all that does is just buffers the variability. In the end, that's what makes manufacturing tougher than it looks.

13. I'm glad to hear a happy ending to a Dr.Bass story. I don't want them to lose customers based on what TB members see on here, because I think they make amazing cabs and that Marc is a good guy going through some tough times.

I guess the way to buy Dr. Bass is to order off the racks? Like Redstar said, they may not be completely in-house, and the company who provides materials might have several high-volume accounts that they need to take care of first. too bad, it would really be a shame to see Dr. Bass go away.

14. talk is cheap.....a real great guy would have said sorry but i,m swamped/unable to source parts/broke/....whatever,and refunded your dough......at what point you cancel is up to you but if it was me id have been able to use my refund on christmas presents.........

15. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    If it wasn't for the cultish bass gear following from people on this forum and in the bass community, I don't see how this company could last. An "outsider" who hasn't visited these boards but who came across them and placed an order would be really upset and probably not be as understanding and patient as our fellow TB'ers have. There are a lot of nice cab companies out there and in the time one waits for a Dr. Bass cab, they could have saved their money to buy an Epifani, Schroeder or Bergantino all of which are readily available in various configurations.

I would love to support American small businesses and see them succeed but why should I wait for months on end when for a couple hundred dollars more, I can support another successful small business who has a faster lead time?

16. Thats the thing. I have absolutely no idea when my cab will be done. So far all I know is that it takes a minimum of 8 months to finish my cab. Because I don't have it yet. And he said to me at one point that he didn't know when he would have it finished. Before that it was "2 weeks" for 3 or 4 months. I felt like the kid in the back seat on the family vacation. When you asked your dad "how much longer" and he said "5 more miles/minutes". I feel like I'm on a cross country drive and we just figured out that we are lost.

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree completely. I'm constantly baffled by the wait time people endure for Dr. Bass cabinets. On the other end of the spectrum, Jorg Schroeder quoted me 3-4 weeks for my cabs and I received them in a week and a half... To each their own I suppose...

18. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification

I was thinking the same thing.The buying process should not be a painful one.

19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You're right, of course. And with the shortage of credit available right now, and a significant reduction in discretionary spending among consumers, even those small businesses savvy enough to have accummulated significant cash reserves before the recession hit are now feeling the pinch.

20. exactly.......when im standing there with a pocket full of money i expect its the other guy who is jumpin thru hoops