1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(Dr Bass/Marc Serio)-cab builder accepted >$10k in payments,never delivered gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Scott, Nov 29, 2009.

1. You were not around for the USPS attempts to collect/mail fraud, Sheriff Departments, District Attorneys, BBB, consumer agencies. I only hope the laws have been tightened and this can not happen again. It all came down to small claims and a judgement there would be no easier to collect than what the original contract was.

2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Agreed.

To anyone new to this thread:

Please do not blame the victims and do not think that every effort was not made to recoup losses. This is not a "whiny baby" thread, this is an attempt to put the word out that there's a strong potential to get burned if you deal with this guy.

hogman22, mikeyjm2, mikecd1 and 8 others like this.
  3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Now that any seller worth their salt uses PayPal, buyers can be better protected. Another layer of protection is added if you have PayPal draw from a credit card, and get another layer of protection can be added if the purchase is made through the 'Bay, or some other similar website.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I don't care how much protection is available to buyers now. No member of TB should buy from this guy, if for no other reason than to support those who were ripped off in the past.

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't disagree, just making the point that we can feel better protected in general as buyers.

6. Was Thursday

Was Thursday

Apr 21, 2009
    California
    I used PayPal when I got ripped off. There is a time frame in which you have to submit your chargeback (90 days?). Go past that and they do nothing.

This is the reason for my advice above: don't pay in full upfront, and be very aware of that chargeback window.

I think they eventually got the message and shut down his account, probably after they got a lot of complaints about him. Didn't help me though.

7. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Oh, I didn't take into account that there was a building lead time past PayPal's limit.

Garret Graves likes this.
  8. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, that was one of Serio's tactics. He would tell you that he was waiting on parts (speakers, cross-overs, etc.) to delay delivery until the PayPal or credit card refund limit had passed. When I placed an order, I used a Visa card. 6 months had passed without delivery. My credit card company told me it was too late for a simple refund, but I could file a claim with their fraud department. I filed a fraud claim. Within 5 days, they credited my account for the full price. They told me they debited Serio's merchant account (his PayPal account).

Funny thing is that within 24 hours of the refund, Serio, who would not respond to my calls or emails for months, sent me an email claiming that my cabinet was almost finished and would ship "by Friday" and tried to get me to reverse the refund. What a jerk.

Ikkir, Jim Carr, spaz21387 and 6 others like this.
  9. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Almost exactly my experience with Dr. Bass. Although, Serio did contact me a few times and didn't appear to be dodging me, though he definitely was. This ^^^ is the method to use to protect yourself. It works. Kept me from having a few sleepless nights, too.

10. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just got a text from a sound guy that I used to work with. He said there was this bad ass bass player playing a festival he was working who builds his own cabs. He was going on about how awesome the cabs sounded. Then he sent a pic. Dr. Bass. Lol.

Garret Graves likes this.
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    How someone like this guy hasn't met up with a well oiled Louisville Slugger anonymously one night confounds me:eek:

12. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I had a pair of custom cabs from him a few years ago. They were pretty good, but not spectacular - and I waited 9+months for them. I finally realized that I really didn't need "custom" cabs and did not want to be affiliated with him, so I sold them at a slight loss and never looked back.

13. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

Is THIS still going on? I've been away from this forum for several months and Marc is still up to his old tricks? WOW!

14. AltGrendel

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I think the word is that he's fulfilling his current orders only and not making any attempt to back fill the old dodgy orders. He seems to have "conveniently" forgotten about them.

I'm hoping anyone with direct experience will chime in.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    This is why you should always operate under an LLC. If a business files Chapter 11, we shrug and life goes on. If an individual does essentially the same thing, it's pitchforks and flaming torches time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    basscooker and tombowlus like this.
  16. That must be why "Dr Bass" claimed to be an LLC when he in fact had NOT filed and completed the LLC.

17. AltGrendel

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Personally, I think it's just a matter of time where this starts all over again with a new crops of victims.

Shame.

18. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

For this reason alone, TB should NEVER remove this thread!!!

alkaloid, Tanner5382, WesW and 7 others like this.
  19. I have an old cab I bought years ago from him. I was window shopping eBay for cabinets just last week and saw he had a post for his stuff. Then this morning I saw this thread. Sorry to hear so many of you took a screwing. Pass it around he's back on eBay.

20. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Completely agree that we need to keep this thread open. I had bought one of his cabs used here on TB and liked some things about it (didn't like others) and was going to order something custom thinking this was a company that was listening to its customers. Read a few other posts here and got that feeling you get when something REALLY bad is going to happen. Thank you members and players for helping protect our community and shame on DR Bass and any others that prey on musicians. VERY low. He's even got a store on Reverb now, no listings at the moment, but best to beware...