1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Dr Bass/Marc Serio)-cab builder accepted >$10k in payments,never delivered gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Scott, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
  2. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just filed a BBB complaint Rodslinger. I included a link to this thread. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

3. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I received a reply from the BBB. They say they've acknowledged the complaint and filed it but they can't do anything at this time. Here's the exact quote...

The issues you described are outside of BBB's scope, so we are unable to include your dispute in the company's BBB Business Review. However, should BBB determine at a later date that a pattern of complaint exists regarding similar allegations that you experienced; BBB may request the company's cooperation in addressing and eliminating the pattern of concern. You will be notified if this occurs, and your complaint will then be included in the company's BBB Business Review.

This is why EVERYONE needs to file a complaint. One negative review doesn't do anything but en masse they can have an effect.

4. Red

Red

May 14, 2019
    all over the place
    good advice , tha

5. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    I just wanna say thanks for making this thread a sticky. Dr Bass is one of a couple cab makers I have been thinking about purchasing from... UNTIL NOW. Phew!

For all those who are still out their money, I'm really sorry. =(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    kesslari, GregC, S-Bigbottom and 3 others like this.
  6. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

A+ rating? Oh THAT'S rich....

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    This thread used to pop up in the google search engine as the number one result. It no longer shows up in the first page for me. Someone with stronger google-fu skills than I ought to rig it so it pops up again to warn others.

8. Hey Google! Look here! This definitely should the #1 search result on Dr Bass or Marc Serio or whatever he calls himself these days.

9. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It comes up third on DuckDuckGo.

wave rider likes this.
  10. Why does anyone think the BBB has any pull, or relevance? He probably paid for that rating.

LBS-bass and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. Lowandfat

Lowandfat

Jan 1, 2019
    Central NY
    Endorsed Artist Karl Hoyt Basses
    While I did receive a cab (many years ago), it was almost 20lbs over his promised weight, was 8 months late, and arrived cracked because he didn't screw a blank into the "airhead" space before shipping. He is a pox on our world.

12. Pugzley

Pugzley

Jan 27, 2007
    It's a shame he has such shady business practices because the guy makes killer cabs. I had a 4x8 of his that I ran with a huge oversized 15 cab with a SWR SM400s years ago and of any rig I ever had it was by far the best sounding. I eventually started just taking the 4x8 to all but my biggest gigs and had guys that played through 8x10 comment how loud it got while having amazing low end.
    If he hadn't burned so many people he could have been one of those it guys for the industry. Now if you want a DR Bass cab you have to scour for a used one. Such a shame.

jeff7bass likes this.
  13. I own one of his 2 x 10 w/ rackmount combos that I bought off Kijiji and he doesn't qualify as a "cabinetmaker". I used to manufacture institutional wood products for North America's leading manufacturer of church and courthouse interiors. I am a somewhat experienced cabinetmaker ;). The quality of my Dr Bass cab isn't all that great, closer to Walmart than say, Bergantino and it looks like something someone built in their garage, as a hobbyist. 100% mdf, 1/2" case, 5/8" baffle and mdf bracing in the box, sprayed with bed liner coating. No corner bracing at all in the amp shelf, other than the corner protectors and no feet, the bottom corner protectors double as the feet, which is always good for some extra rattle if you have it sitting on a hard floor. The speakers were mounted with the cheapest wood screws you can buy, the ones that look like drywall screws (into mdf, remember...), no insert/machine screw mounts (those don't work too well with mdf either, especially near an edge). The homemade crossover, well, I'm not surprised I didn't get the tweeter with the cab, as it was most likely cooked. A cap and a resistor glued to the plastic input insert with silicone, that is the crossover. The plastic center post/bushing in the L pad attenuator had actually melted enough that it glued the contacts together. Why anyone would give this guy money for a 'boutique' cab is beyond me. Nothing at all 'boutique', or even quality, about this one. It is not bad looking, due to the bed liner but it sure isn't gigging, or 'cabinetmaker', quality. This thing gets dropped or even set down hard onto an edge or corner even once and it would fold up like a cheap suitcase. IMG_20191013_131542.jpg

14. He got his cab 'engineering' from cab calculators, which are both free and available to anyone with an internet connection, or available in many public libraries in book form :p. He didn't even re-invent the wheel, much less invent it and his build quality is pretty crappy, tbh.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  15. I wasn't unhappy with it, for what I paid for it (used, on Kijiji), and the Duratex finish is nice, has better structural integrity than the mdf it is applied to, in the case of this cab. On the other hand, the material selection makes it comparable to a piece of furniture you would buy from a budget retailer. The crossover is a real headshaker too, not at all surprised that the attenuator melted. Judging from other's experiences electronics doesn't seem to be a strong point or much of a consideration for the builder. I could literally buy a better quality 210 combo cab with an amp in the shelf for 200 - 250, if I bought a used Traynor XM series (Duratex), or a BM400 (rat fur), on Kijiji. A BM400 on there right now for 250.
    I have someone coming to pick it up in about an hour, for 100 bucks ;)

16. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Fellas, while all the talk about cab construction is interesting, can that be taken up somewhere else? I'm not trying to be rude, but the purpose of this thread is for those affected directly by Dr Bass and that list is long.

I'll post it again for anyone who happens across this thread.

Still owed:

5StringPocket
    anonymous073020132
    Bassorama57
    Bjazzman
    Bluesy Soul
    BruceBass
    btp
    cpasmore
    felt-tip
    funkdabass
    j4gitr
    guy mouton
    Gemsguitarist
    Gus Borden
    kumarevolution
    nastyn8c
    neoman09
    PODperson
    portaflexer
    rob4001va
    Roscoe Vahorne
    rjr225
    rxbassman
    scotchlouis
    Skeevenmac
    Sliderbass
    smadder
    Smurf-o-Deth
    SMUTWORLD
    StanSzymanskiJr
    Viking81
    Was Thursday
    whocaresnotme
    Yossarian

Received product eventually:
    45cmckay105
    burgerdj
    dannylectro
    Jeff Scott
    Matt Morgan
    Noaita

Received full/partial refund:
    mrgoodbass
    lowmid1
    leshok
    Ronny49

petch, wayshot, Garret Graves and 7 others like this.
  17. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I found Bass Butcher's expert opinion on the alleged bass doctor's mediocre build quality very informative.

18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Forgive me if this is well-trodden territory. This sounds like a new way for this rapscallion to engage in further hoodwinkery. "Well, I guess people won't send me 100% of the costs up front anymore...maybe I can hornswoggle them into at least 50%"

We are pleased to offer the Dr. Bass "Playment" plan to our customers for Dr. Bass products $400.00 and over. With no credit check and no interest.

How it works:
    1. Read the Dr. Bass Playment Plan Agreement in its entirety.
    2. Pick our your cabinet/cabinets
    3. The total is split into 4 equal payments.
    4. We will send you an invoice for the first payment + $24.95 processing fee.
    5. You make your first payment + processing fees
    6. Your credit/debit card will be automatically be charged the remaining 3 payments
    7. Once you have paid 50%, second payment plus shipping on your products, they will be shipped immediately.

Downunderwonder and S-Bigbottom like this.
  19. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

All one has to do is look at the words in MY avatar....

GregC, DrMole and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. Reads like it was written by the best educated Nigerian Prince scammer ever.

Bob_D, DrMole, S-Bigbottom and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021