Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr. Bass Rx series vs. Avatar NEO series - a little help please??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Dec 1, 2004.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    so i'm looking to get a new 2x10 to add in with an avatar 212LF. i dont really have the $$ for a high-end cab, but the dr. bass cabs look nice for the money, and i already know about avatar cabs in general.

my question is this: has anyone a-b'ed these 2 cabs? or anything similar?

the cabs are the same price, almost the same power handling, etc. the only differences i can find are the covering and the physical size of the cabs.

if all else is the same ill go with the avatar since it will stack best on my 2x12, but i dont mind size difference if the dr. bass is a better cab...

please and thanks for any and all help!!!

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The Dr. Bass Rx series cabs are constucted from MDF which some folks (myself among them) do not care for. The Avatar cabs and the Dr. Bass Birchline cabs are made from real, honest-to-God plywood.

3. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    MDF = particle board?

so that would explain at least some of the price difference between birchlines and rx's...

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    MDF=Medium Density Fiberboard. It's better than particle board but it isn't plywood. I thought about building my own cabinets (and maybe for sale, too) for a time and MDF wasn't an option because it doesn't have the ability to flex and screw holes, IMO, can wallow out and become loose. Having said that, Aguilar is now making their S-series cabs out of MDF and I can't believe they would put those on the market if they thought there was going to be a problem with it. I would suggest contacting Dr. Bass with any concerns about this.

5. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    wonder if that might be an added benefit of the covering choice?

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Might be; again you might want to call Dr. Bass for further info. Were it me I'd go for the Birchline series.

Both Avatar and Dr. Bass have much support on this forum because they seem to deliver good quality, and especially for the money. I should point out that I have no personal experience with either one but were I in the need for cabinets (I currently have 2 Aguilar GS112s.) I would certainly consider both companies based on what I have read on TB.

7. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    cool! thanks for the info/help...

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Well, remember Aguilar has the GS series (plywood) and the cheaper "S" series (MDF), which are totally different beasts at different price points. I'd imagine one is targeted at the pro and semi-pro gigging musician, and the cheaper "S" series targeted at the person who typically leaves his cab at home or gigs infrequently.

I'd have real hesitation if intending to use any cab made of MDF when road abuse is in the future.

9. What are the different grades and qualities of "rat fur"?

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Do you mean raised free range or corn fed & caged?
    Rezdog ;)

11. Well there is a trendy restaurant in in shangai that serves gourmet rat. I saw it on discovery channel. They were free range. You pay a little extra, I suppose.

12. My two gigging subwoofers are made from 3/4" MDF. As an experiment, I left them ugly (uncovered, unpainted) to see what constant "road life" does to MDF:

Nothing.

The only change other than scratches to the MDF is the cabinet edges become self-rounding with time and sliding around. Cabinets should have rounded edges, so this isn't a problem.

Mine don't leak, crack, break, or shatter. They are a damn site more dense (no vibration) than a plywood cabinet, and hold screws much better. MDF is harder on saw blades and easier to make very accurate cuts due to no warping.

MDF is *not* particle board. IMO, the only down side to 3/4" (19mm) is the weight.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Wouldn't that be "Free Gutter"?

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think that's the point... Because MDF is more dense, theres no inherent resonance to the material. Whereas, there IS when using wood, even if it is plywood.