1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr Bass Rx vs. BL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I am seriously considering getting a Dr Bass cab. Most likely a 210. I am torn between the Rx 210 and the BL 210. The BL 210 costs $130 more, so I am leaning towards the Rx, but I am curious as to why the BL is so much more. Is it simply a construction quality upgrade (from MDF to Birch or whatever), or is the sound quality also superior? From what the website says it is just a construction quality upgrade, but that doesn't seem to warrant such a markup. What's the deal?

Thanks

~Alex

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Well i have a BL 1260 i can tell you the build quality
    is far superior, and i suspect the tone to be much better!
    my first bass cab was a custom built JBL in a box that was
    much like todays mesa road cabs (1971) this is my second
    cab in 35 years;usually when i need more i just DI into the
    PA and use the dr.bass as a monitor,this suites my needs well

cheers

3. Perhaps the different wood affects the sound?

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Stock BL have different drivers than stock Rx (at least the 2x10).

The BL series has greater construction.

The BL series uses different wood. Some people say the wood makes a tonal difference. It is also more expensive.

5. I noticed that the Rx 210 has a tweeter and the BL 210 has a "compression horn". What's the difference? Which is better?

6. I'm contemplating making a "compression horn vs tweeter" thread.

7. I think I'm just gonna go Rx. The BL doesn't seem to be worth the extra coin. I usually just turn the tweeter off, anyway.

8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I've got an Rx2260 and it's built like a brick **** house. I decided on the the Rx after a lengthy discussion with Marc and I am very a happy with the construction and sound that it puts out. It doesn't give up anything to the BL. Best thing to do is ask Marc about what you want. Sometimes he can be slow but he won't BS you on sound and construction. Go ahead and get one, they're great cabs
    Rezdog