Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr Bass RX112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T. Alan Smith, Nov 19, 2005.

1. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Anyone here have much experience with one? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm mostly comparing this with the Avatar 1x12. This would go with a Peavey Max700 head, and be for a variety of musical styles.

Thanks! :)

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The avatar 112 is a decent cab, nice full response, plenty of power handling...but in my opinion, the tweeter bites big time. I owned one for a while, and sold it. There are threads on avatar tweeter replacement options, and crossover options as well...I think Dr Bass would be better, especially in the higher end series...Plenty of folks are happy with the avatar tweeter, so my thoughts are strictly my own...

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, the DR I have in mind is the RX series, same price point as the Avatar. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    [**bump**] back to the front page! :)

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I noticed you can't get the 1x12 in 4 ohms. I've read positive comments on the 2x10. Any thoughts? It's available in 4 ohms.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Have you tried contacting Marc? He maybe willing to do a four ohm 1x12, custom.

7. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    It would be worth it to contact Marc. I know he's pretty busy with current orders (mine included which should be done in a week or so!).

I did contact him a while ago about ordering a small cab to go along with the big one I'm already having built. He mentioned that he had a 1x12 "airhead" and another matching 1x12 with silver grills that were used for other project. They were ready to ship and were quite cheap if I remember correctly. You wouldn't have to wait! He also had some wood cut up for another cab (I forget which kind) that he probably could have built faster than a new custom order.

I think a 4 ohm 1x12 would be possible. I would think he uses 4 ohm speakers to build his 8 ohm 2x12's. That is, unless he uses 16 ohm drivers to make them.

edit: You can get the BL112 in 4 ohm, so I'm pretty sure you can get the RX112 in 4 ohm as well. He'll do any combo you want. He even has drivers not listed on his site. My cab will have a 300 watt 12" along with the standard 500 watt 12". He says the 300w is tighter. I'm going with one of each to see if I get the best of both worlds. He just told me today that he has in fact tried the mix of speakers and it sounded "great".

8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks. I'll look into it.