Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr.Bass vs. Avatar in terms of sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    So there's a lot of Dr. Bass vs. Avatar talk on here, but it seems like everybody sticks to the weight, covering, and price issues. I'm definitely leaning towards Dr. Bass based on all that, but I'm wondering what the difference in sound or tone is.

I'm looking to play punk, most of the time with a pick, hoping for something kind of round (does that work for sound?) and punchy, but that'll still make your gut rumble. I'm thinking a 212 and a 210, which works for either brand, so which do you guys think would fit my preferences better?

Oh yeah, and www.drbasscabs.com is finally revamped and has pictures and such. Not that I've been checking regularly for 6 months or anything...

2. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I'd like to know this too. I'm in Oz and Dr Bass ships internationally so this might be a good way to get a cheap cab for me.

What are the differences between the two? The dr bass cabs don't mention what brand of speaker they use either, are they comparable to the eminences used in avatars?

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I'll try to help you two out.

Yossarian - the Dr. Bass cabs IMO won't give you the rumble, but will do the round and punchy well. They are in small boxes so they tend to have a bump in the mids and reduces low end, creating a more "punchy" cabinet. As far as the sound goes, Marc used to design P.A. speakers and that's when he got into bass cabs. I've heard that they were, "A lot like P.A. speakers - very transparent." Tom Bowlus, the local gear guru has a few customs and he seems very happy with them. If it matters, Marc's target audience is/was/used to be the, "Epifani, Bergantino, et al," crowd. So he's not just putting out budget cabs, he's trying to compete with the best out there.

flexo - Marc uses several different stock Eminence speakers IIRC. On some cabs he uses Deltas, others Betas. If you ask him in an e-mail or give him a call, I'm sure he would be happy to answer your questions.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is true! :) But I have never tried Avatar, so I really can't compare the two.

Tom.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Would a Dr. Bass RX-112 alone be enough for jazz/funk? It will be driven by an Ashdown Mag300.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It all depends on how loud you need to be, and what other instruments are involved.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, I don't really have a way of knowing that yet. I would expect combo-size groups.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well then, I'd say it might be loud enough, or it might not. :p

Seriously, though, I think that with that rig, you honestly would have enough rig for some settings (and with some players), but you might not have enough for all "combo-size, jazz/funk groups." If you have horns, loud drummers, loud guitar players, no PA support... stuff like that, you may find yourself wanting more than a single 1x12. If you do go this route, go for a 4 ohm cab to get the most from your amp.

Tom.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, that's my dilemma. I do think I want to expand my rig with a 210 at some point, but right now it's not financially or spaciously feasible. I'm probably not even going to be using it a whole lot for my first year at Berklee, because as a freshman you don't play out much, if at all. But, if I win an auction I'm involved in, I'll be getting my amp much sooner, but much cheaper. So to be safe, I think I may have to take the 150 watts at 8 ohms to start.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If that's the case, you might want to try a 1x15 now, and pair it up with a 2x10 later. The 1x12 may work fine, too, it's just that in general, I find that a 1x15 pairs up better with a 2x10 than does a 1x12.

Tom.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    What exactly do you mean by "pairs up better?" Does the 112 not cover enough low frequency to balance out 210's?

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In my experience, a 2x10 will often somewhat overpower a 1x12 (such that you hear mostly the 2x10, and less of the 1x12, when you use them both together), whereas a 1x15 and a 2x10 seem to compete more or less equally. The 1x15/2x10 combo also seems to mesh a bit better from a frequency overlap perspective.

With a 1x12, I really like to use a 1x10. The 1x12 will often have the more powerful low end, but I find that most 1x10's will sound more active an alive in the upper mids, so despite the surface area mismatch, the 1x12 and 1x10 seem to play pretty nice together.

Hope this makes some sense, Tom.

13. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Looks like i'm out of this race, its gonna cost almost double the price of the cab ($425 USD) to ship a 2x12 to Oz! :eek: :eyebrow:
    That's not even taking into account the GST and duty i'll be slapped with when it gets here. The cab will end up costing me over $1000 AUD!

That's using FedEx, i wonder if it would be cheaper to ship to a friend in the US and use a different postal service to get the cab here? Does anyone have any experience with international shipping of cabs?

14. i shipped a gk800RB head to the land down under insured for 130-ish so i can imagine a cab weighing 2x or 3x more costing 2x or 3x to ship...

15. The 8 ohm Avatar B115H cab with an Eminence Kappa Pro LFA has killer low end and extended travel.

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, very interesting, thanks for the info.

So, knowing that, I'm thinking a good way for me to pursue a new rig would be to get an Avatar 210NEO with the Ashdown Mag300H and save some money on the head that way, since the Avatar 210 weighs the same as the Dr. Bass. Then later on (when I'm living out of the dorm, or in a senior dorm) I can add on the Dr. Bass RX-115 with it's nice compactness and light weight.

One last question: Will a 210 hold up in jazz/funk alone at medium volumes and cover enough low end? I play 4 strings, so a low B isn't a consideration. (I know this is an age-old question, and if someone just wants to fire me a link instead, that's cool.)

17. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Yeah, I have a similar question! How would a Dr. Bass Rx212 hold up in a punk band, just drums, bass, and one or possibly two guitars? They have some sexy sensitivity, 102 dB 1W1M, which is comforting, and I'd be using a Peavey Max 700 (275 watts at 8 ohms). I plan to get another cab later, depending on where the 212 seems to be lacking, but until then, do you guys think it'll cut it alone? Is it a LOUD BEAST?

and Snarf, I've heard people say that the Avatar 210 neo has surprisingly good low end, but it's still only going to do so much. I guess it depends on how much low end you're looking for.

18. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    i have the rx 212 at 4ohms powered by a mag300, it's plently loud enough to compete with a fender 60watt tube 212 combo, if you do go the 212 route i'd suggest getting an 8ohm cab for later additions, the rx 210 sounds like a good possibility, gotta love the loud punk rock...

19. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Awesome, thanks! My amp actually runs at 2 ohms, but I was planning on getting an 8 ohm cab anyways in case I ever get a different head. How do you feel about your rx 212? Do you love it?

20. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well, i have a rx1260 and a rx115 powered by a thunderfunk 400w amp, and i have to turn down for a drummer and a line 6 212 gtr amp (at 4ohms total).

marc states that his 212 cabinet is his best selling, and that it "eats 410's". im not sure about that as ive never tried it, but he has been pretty honest with me the 3 times ive bought from him.

the rx115 is SOOO light. i can sling it with one hand. the 1260 is pretty heavy, and its an airhead, so i have the thunderfunk in it. (62lbs total)

it bassically boils down to where you are, and what access you have. i wouldnt say that there is any real differnece b/n the dr.bass (SC), the avatar(idaho), and the stuff from lowdown sound (chicago), soundwise. not that they sound alike, but i am willing to bet that they have equal "sound quality" if you balance the strengths and weaknesses of each.

if you are close to one of those places, maybe you can check out the company itself. i know for a fact that there are several ppl with dr. basses and avatars here in san francisco if you live in this area. if not, call marc and see if he has any customers in your area. maybe he could hook you up.

if you cant "preview" the cab, then you have two choices. go on what youve read here, and make your decision based upon these reviews, spec's, and features. thats what i did (that and when i called him he had a used one there that i bought for a good price). i bought my second cab because of the first. its my sound now, and i get no complaints.

your second choice is to play everything in your area in your price range, and make a judgement on your own ears. that is absolutely the best way to do it. remember to audition the cab about 20-30 feet from it so that you can hear what the audience hears.