Dr.Bass Vs Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by no_im_adam, Oct 27, 2004.

1. no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    I'm looking into getting a new 2x12 cab from either avatar or dr. bass, and i was just wondering what some pro's and con's of both are, thanks for any feedback
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I do not have any experience with Avatar cabs, but I am very impressed with not only my cabs from Dr. Bass but also the service and commitment from Marc Serio.
  3. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I don't schill, but I can't say enough about how well Dave at Avatar treated me, and how cool my 2x12 sounds. I think the eminence delta lf drivers are great and this cab has surprising punch for a 2x12.

4. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I just picked up the Avatar 2x12 4 Ohm cab. I bought it used, but it is basically brand new.

I love this cab!

I ran it as a stand alone last night in rehearsal and it kicked ass. Very deep, low mid range. Great definition and punch (I might be describing the same thing here).

I do not suggest standing right in front of the cab when playing, unless you have no choice. There is a big difference moving away from the cab about five to ten feet. Seems to throw the sound out farther than a 2x10 or 4x10.

I ran my Sunn 1200s head amp and was using my Peavey Cirrus 4. The Avatar seems to react and sound better to me with the Cirrus rather than my Fender P-Bass.

I will be using this as an extension cab with my Peavey Bam 2x10 combo, and also with an Ampeg 4x10 HLF cab.

Should rock very hard. :bassist:

Also, even though the cab weighs 75lbs., it is very easy to move and balances well.
  5. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I think there are a lot of happy customers for both here. One big difference is the covering. Dr Bass has this super durable paint job that appears to be somewhere between paint and truck bed liner. I think Avatar uses carpet. Both seem to be great deals. I have the DrBass 212 with Delta 12LF's. Goes seriously low and loud.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've never played a Dr. Bass cab but I think if you go either way you will be satisfied.
  7. no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    thanks for the help
  8. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    This is true. The covering on the DR cabs is pretty cool.

But, I thought the dimensions on the cab, mainly the depth of the cab was an issue when using other manufacturers cabinets on top.

In my case, I have a Peavey 2x10 combo which would not fit on top of the DR cabinet.
  9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Is there a website for Dr. Bass?
  10. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

it hasnt been updated in a while, and the prices are going up, but i think he is still honoring those prices (but dont take my word on that).

marc tells me that the 212 is his best selling cab. he also says that of the hundreds of cabs he has sold, he has only had one returned (excluding warrantee work), and that was because the person decided to trade up a 112, to a 212.

but even marc will tell you that he believes you will get a quality cab from him, avatar, or lown down sound (although i dont know if lds makes 212). it comes down to what best serves your needs. call them all and talk to them.

marc is swamped right now, but you should be able to get thru.

his contact info is on the website
  11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Duncbass how about a review of your 212 DrBass? Is it the MDF or Birch Line? Thanks....
  12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Ditto on the Dr. Bass cabinets.I have a 115 cabinet with an Emminence Beta 15, and it is small and kick ass.Marc is great to work with, and he personally likes the 2x12 cabinet.He tried to talk me into it instead of the 115, now I think I want one to go with the 115.
    By the way, with the discussion here about using a 4x 12 cabinet for bass, I suggested to Marc that he make one of them using his Neo's for speakers to cut down on the weight.He hasn't gotten back to me yet on that one, but if he gets more suggestions from TBrs on this, he just might.
  13. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    This ? willl most certainly come down to a cab covering preference. Both Dave at Avatar and Marc at Dr. Bass will bend over backwards to make you happy. The two products are comprised of quality USA Eminence speakers. Dr. Bass, though, are creating some fantastic new configurations with MDF and Birch. They are also covered with the space aged Polymer finish found on no other cabs. Light, Durable and awesome appearance. I will own one in the future to compliment my Ampeg and save my back. (Dr. Bass cabs are light!). :smug:
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    They do, and they make a couple of really interesting 2x12's. On their webpage now (www.lowdownsound.com), they have three, I believe. One with a tweeter, one without, and a swank looking orange one with a 5 1/4" midrange driver.

Don makes some very innovative cabs, and I have been really impressed with what I have heard - especially his cabs with long-throw 8" drivers.