DR Black Beauties - Anything else Similar?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groover, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I put some new 45-105 DR Black Beuties on my P-J bass last night... love the looks of them, but I found them to be a little brighter than I expected. :eek:

Are there other strings that are black coated like those but sound a littler darker?

Will the sound of the DR's deepen with time? I'm not very familar with DR srings.
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    They won't mellow with age, much. That's half the point of the coating. Rotosound and Labella make black nylon wound strings, but they don't sound or feel anything like Black Beauties, they're just black.

I talked to the guy who makes the coated wires (the same technology is used to Harley Davidson colored electrical options), and in addition to his own line of strings, called "Rainbow", he's apparently made deals with GHS and was working on D'Addario to use his coating technology. They'll probably sound different.

He makes the silver-coated Silver Stars for DR, as well, and will be debuting about 12 different colors in the near future. He gave me a free set of pink bass 5er strings--it'll be a while before those get put on my bass ;)
  3. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the reply. I might try the Labella's later on (once I get my $48 worth of use on these).

Anything richer/deeper would be good.

Thanks again.
  4. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Black Beauties are coated DR Hi Beams. Hi Beams are stainless steel wound on a round core; a very bright string.

Black Diamond makes a black coated version of their nickel round wound. That might be a less bright option for you without going to the other extreme of black tape wound.

5. Do you guys notice that the Black Beauties dont have a great "voice". I find it harder to hear the notes, esp when I tune using 5 f et adn not harmonics. Noticed it first on teh B string and put the tired old DR Sunbeam back on.
    TO my ears, on my lakland, they sound too "dark" as it is. They're not as "articulate".
  6. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Just put a set of red devils on my Modulus Quantum. Love the sound - not too bright and clanky but not dark and muffled either. Nice balance of fundamental and overtones through a broad range. Very comfortable on the fingers as well.

SO... black beauties are in line for the Modulus VJ4 and I'm thinking maybe a set of the peacocks on my natural 70s P bass!
  7. DTravz

Sep 2, 2001
    I also like the Red Devils. I put a set on my Stingray 5 and WOW, those metallic ringing freqs are gone and they make the bass punchy and fat sounding with good tone!
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender also makes some nice nylon coated strings. Not as mellow as the LaBella tapes, much brighter and more alive.