1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR Black beauties compared to DR Lowriders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Qvist, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I currently own a set of DR lowriders and I love the tone of them, but I read the Black Beauties stay alive for a longer time, AND they look cool ;) Is there a specific difference between the two, and if so what is it?

I would like to know if the Black Beauties also are as "clanky" and punchy is a the lowriders!

Thanks in advance :)

2. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Black beauties are coated high beams, they sound like broken in hibeams

So its gonna be a lot different than lowriders.

Black beauties = flexible, round core, scooped frequency response with a little more low mid than normal hi beams
    Loriders = stiff, hex core, strong mids.

Both would be clanky, but hibeams/black beauties are not anywhere near as punchy as loriders

3. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    That's good to know, I think I'll get a set of the Black Beauties.

4. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you very much chilliwilli, that's some great info right there!

5. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Talked to a friend today who uses the Black Beauties and he laims that they are not just the Hi Beams with a coating (although they are round core). He claims they are much lower tension than the Hi Beams. best source is probably to call Dr and ask them.