Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Black Beauties - Lower Volume?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groover, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I can't figure these strings out, but seems as ever since I put these strings on, I've had to turn my amp up to reach the same output volume I had when I was using slinkies on the same bass.

Does the black coating kill the "amplification" of the strings?

They are brighter tone, but the volume/output seems lower. I have to turn the volume up say about 2 ticks on a 10 tick volume knob to bring it back to where it was before putting the Black Beauties on.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is really puzzling me.

Thanks.

2. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I've found that to be true (for me anyway)...not just on the Black Beauties, but on High-Beams and Sunbeams also. For me they sound great....but in the mix of other instruments I have to raise the volume much higher than when I use Low-Riders. I think (for me anyway) it has to do with the round core. While it makes them brighter and more flexible....it does not seem to have that "push" or "oomph" behind the notes to give it that higher output. Even acoustically.....if I pluck a note with the Low-Riders it's loud and I can feel the body of the bass vibrate. With the round-cores....it's pretty quiet to me. Funny, cuz it's the same for me with taper-wound strings also. I've used the SR2000's and Super-steps and it does the same thing. I've even changed string sets between shows on the same night and heard the difference from the first note....and so did the other musicians. I know I went off in a tangent....but I don't think it's the coating.....I think it's the round core.

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Thats exactly why I stopped using them. F@#* those coated strings!

4. I doubt the black coating interferes with the strings' magnetic properties. It seems more likely that they are just made of a less magnetic alloy. Or some such.