Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HEADLE, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Is anyone using these?
    Are they any good? I use coated strings on my acoustic six string and am interested in putting coated on my bass, and since it is black thought it might be cool to black the strings as well. What do you think?

H

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't know man... It could be cool I guess... But does the coating rub off at all? That could be really bad for your fretboard man, or anyones. I think it would be cool for a very little while to play them on someone elses bass, but I overall think that silver strings look the phatest ;);)

3. I'm sure over time it will rub off, but I haven't had any trouble with the ones I have on my acoustic.
    They are only $30.00 so I think I'll give em a try.

H

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I tried two different brands of black-coated strings once upon a time - YUCK!......(unless you're trying to do a bad job of sounding like an upright).

Your audience notices your sound, not your strings.

5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    rickbass, these DR Black Beauties are black coated Hi-Beams. They are designed to be bright and full like a good stainless round should be. I would assume that the black coated strings you tried were tapewounds which are designed to be upright (dull) sounding. With all this being said, I have yet to try any of the new DR coated bass sets but I love their coated acoustic guitar strings. Very bright and long lasting.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, give a review on like what they sound like brand new, after the first week, and mid way, and old, if you could...??

7. Most Definitely! Went to GC today they don't stock 'em so I'm gonna have to order them. I'll let you know when I get that far.

H

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Sweetness ;);).

9. I had 'em on my Warwick Thumb for about three months. They do stay zingy bright for about a month (weekly band practice, daily practice, week end gigging, etc). After that they were a bit mellower but still pretty bright. I took 'em off because the coating wore off over the pickups where I pluck.

I liked the feel of them and would probably buy them again after I try some flats on the 'Wick'.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    They're sending me out a set to try, should be here next week. The electric guitar Beaut's sound good, these should too.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I didn't like them. The coating made my fingers stick to the strings.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's one of the concerns that made me start another "Black Beauty" thread.
    I was looking to see if maybe they were an exception to what I've felt with my guitarist's string who tried Elixers.

13. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Im using the Elixers w/ the nanoweb.....hehe thats funny...:rolleyes: anyway, I like the feel of them @ the neck , they do tend to shed alittle @ the pup area were we tend to bash em....lol
    Im thinkin I'll try the Dr. BB's also, as my Explr. is Black and would look pretty cool for shows also..... :bassist:

So We Shall See Then......

Jeff
    ------
    BASH-ON