Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Black beauties?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Left Shoe, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Left Shoe

Left Shoe

May 9, 2004
    just wondering what you guys think of them , im thinking about getting them for my corvette

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've never used them but I can tell you that I sell them, and a few customers have told me that they are the best coated strings they've ever used. Of course, this is second hand information but I feel confident recommending them.

Tom

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The DR Extra's sound and feel pretty much like their uncoated
    counterparts: DR Hi-Beams, except the coating
    (either Red or Black) makes the string last longer.

String has lot's of 'Zing' and feels like a reg. Roundwound.

Excellent fingerstyle string for Metal, Rock and Funk.

If you use a pick, chances are the coating is going to
    come off in that area; but the string will still be good-to-go.

I just put on a set of DR Extra's (Red Devils) on my Warwick.
    Great string.
    However, I put my Elixir Polyweb's back on.
    Only played them on my Warwick Streamer 4 for about One Hour.
    Too much finger noise from my sucky technique.

4. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Hey finger blister, are the Polywebs good for reducing string noise and fret clacking? It's the only complaint I have with my current setup on a Streamer SII five string. Have you tried Nanowebs and if so how do they compare?

I've been thinking about the DR and Elixir coated strings and also Roto pressurewounds to try and reduce some of the noise resulting from my cack-handedness!! :D

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The DR Extra's have Clack, Zip, Zing and finger noise.
    (which is not a bad thing)

Elixir Polyweb's have the least amount of string noise of any Roundwound string.

The thicker Polyweb coating bridges the crown's of the round string more;
    making it feel sorta' like a flatwound.
    A touch darker sound compared to the Nanos.

Nanoweb's thinner coating bridges the crown's of the round string less,
    thus a bit brighter with more of a roundwound feel & texture.

Never tried Roto pressurewounds.

6. I would like to try them,but have never seen them in a shop. It's even hard to get EB strings around heren :eyebrow:

7. Sorry but i hate them with all my heart!!! Go for the Lo-Riders they are much better...

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I was wondering about these too, but if they aren't like Elixir Nanowebs at all, then I guess I won't try em. I KNOW I like the Elixirs on my F Bass.

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I've tried DR Black Beauties (105-45) and DR Bootzillas Bootsy Collins Signature (105-45). Both of these sets were tried on a '99 American Standard Jazz Bass through an Ampeg BA115 amp w/ eq set flat.

Black Beauties = Black coated stainless steel wrap on round core. Tony at DR tells me that these are manufactured exactly like Hi-Beams except that Hi-Beams are obviously uncoated. If you've tried Hi-Beams before you know that these strings are extremely flexible and bright. These Black Beauties sound exactly like a very broken in set of Hi-Beams. I wouldn't say that they sparkle like new Hi-Beams but they do possess that clarity and eveness of tone across the fingerboard that Hi-Beams are known for. Some may say that these strings lack bottom but I dasagree. Now for the feel of the strings......They did not feel like Hi-Beams to me. They felt slightly stiffer (almost like hex-core Lo-Riders). Plus, the coating is almost slippery feeling. Some may like this but I don't. During faster passages I felt like I was not getting that bite on my fingers that stainless steel rounds are known for.Anyway, they held a very consistant tone for the two months that I had them on (they would've kept going) but I was ready for a change.

Bootzillas = Clear coated European stainless steel wrap on a hex core. Tony at DR tells me that these are manufactured exactly like Lo-Riders. DR uses a more costly European Steel for these sets that supposedly has a "crunchy" tone. Well, crunchy (bright and biting) they certainly aren't. As a matter of fact, I've had 6 month old stainless Lo-Riders that were brighter and "crunchier" than these strings. Bootzillas are very warm and focused sounding and actually reminded me more of a nickelplated string that a stainless steel string. These strings would be good for short and punchy fingerstyle playing....not really for those that crave treble or a "crunchy" tone as DR advertises. The coating is just as slippery as the Black Beauties but it is clear...which is a good thing. I really don't like the crazy colors that some of these string manufacturers are using. The Bootzillas are stiffer than Lo-Riders of the same gauge so IMO they handle aggressive playing quite well....except that they lack the treble that most aggresive styles need. They are very thumpy sounding.

Bottom Line:

Black Beauties are clear sounding and probably one of the brighter coated strings on the market...but they are black (and red, and blue, and silver....and whatever other colors that DR wants to use).

Bootzillas are warm and thumpy (some may call this dead sounding). To me, these are more of a niche string (yeah....for all you Bootzoids out there)! They are clear in color (yes!!) but they do sound pretty dark for a roundwound to me.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah but will the coating flake off like the other coated strings do after awhile, when you use them with a pic.

polyweb doesnt flake, it just tears after awhile.

nanoweb, ugh, sucked.

d'addario coated flaked as well.

black diamond(a company i was ocnce sponsered by) flaked the first time i used them.

so how bout the dr's? i used to only play dr's, and if the coated ones rock, im going to get them, especially if they are cheaper then elixir's

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    This label is inside every box of DR EXTRA strings.

12. I have to agree with most everything that rsautrey said comparing the Black Beauties and the Bootzillas, though I remember the Bootzillas being a little brighter to start out. I personally liked the sound and the feel of the Black Beauties better. I don't mind black, but would not put them on my maple fretboards. However, the set is on my son's bass, and he really likes the color black. This being the first "black set" I've put on that he really likes.

And yes the coating is coming off fairly quickly in spots. I doubt it would be noticed by anyone but the bass player upclose.

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, thats what all coated strings say, and its bs. once the coating comes off, the strings is open to sweat and moisture and dirt to get in the windings, which is what kills the string.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had the DR Black Beauties on my Hanewinckel Vintage Retro 4 for a while. The G string coating started to wear off under my right hand (fingerstyle playing ONLY) even before it made the first gig. Probably an hour or so from new. I played 3 or 4 gigs with them and, while I liked the sound, they were unsatisfactorily slippery under my right fingers--so much so that I had problems articulating fast passages. Not enough resistance, I guess. I pulled 'em off and wouldn't use them again.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think the best coated strings are elixir. i would be willing to check these out, but if the coating came off with fingers, i will destroy it with a pic.

16. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I tried one set of the DR Blacks. I really wanted to like them because they looked :cool:

But alas, too grindy sounding for me. For my taste, they pretty well sounded like most round wounds I have tried.

Just my luck, Just my opinion. :meh:

deManBass

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I just put on a set of BB's. I've been using Elixirs up until now, for a few years.

First impressions: they are a bit lighter gauge than the Elixirs, and a lot less stiff right off the bat. They had a good "zing" at first. I thought they felt good under my fingers. A bit slippery but not too much, and in a better way than the Elixirs.

After 24 hours (2 hours play time), they had lost the "zing". They now sound much like the Elixirs except with less "thump". This, to me, is a good thing. Also, the "clack" sound of the BB's hitting the frets (I play fingerstyle, with a Geddy-Lee type attack sometiemes) is better than the sound the Elixirs made. The DRs are punchier.

I'll see how they are in a month or so. If they stay more or less the same for that long, I'm going to order a set for the fretless (which currently just got a set of Sunbeams - nice, but the BBs will be the deal for it too I think).

I wish they came in "clear" like the Bootzillas. :confused: why not? :( But for the meantime I can live with black strings.

18. I have a set of DR Black Beauties on my fretless. As you said, nice "zing". I like the string, good balance of harmonics and fundimentals. And yes, they do feel nice and smooth under the fingers.

In short, a very nice string.