Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Black Beauties?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ugo, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    hi,
    how does the tone of DR's coated strings compare to an uncoated set of hi beams?

im a big fan of the hi beams (especially for the low b) but strings die pretty quickly on me, so the idea of a coated string seems great...provided they still sound like hi beams.

any thoughts/opinions?

thanks,
    -ugo

2. I put them on my fretless Rebop 5. I wanted the roundwound sound, but not the wear. I'm on my second set- they do seem to last a bit longer, but I haven't used Hi beams for awhile, now, so I can't really compare the two. I favor a bright, twangy tone, if that helps.

3. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    thanks for the info...and yes, that does help. i like a bright, twangy tone too. thats actually something i was hopeing for; that the brightness of the hi beams wasnt lost in the coating.

i'll have to give them a shot and see how it goes. i must say, esthetically, this might be fun to:

redwood cirrus fretless - black beauties
    cherry sunburst stingray - red devils
    teal burst tune kingbass - peacock blue
    (the latter of the 3 basses should be arriving tomorrow...i cant wait! :hyper: )

-ugo

4. Red, blue & black is just not enough choices, in my book. I want green, & my 3 yr old daughter, wants pink. Any one for purple?

5. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    green could be cool...purple would rock, especially if it was metallic finish. how about iridescent strings that change colors depending on the lighting and the angle you view them at? :cool:

-ugo

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    A few days ago I put a set on my Peavey G-Bass with great results. The combination has growl, snarl, deep, the whole bit. It doesn't hurt that the bass is all black and the black strings look awesome on it! Bottom line: I love 'em so far.

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have a set of them on my MIM Jazz V, and they add some bite that I think the bass is usually lacking. The set I have on there has lasted for a while, too.

8. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I had a set on my P-Bass for about 4 months. I didn't notice any increase in the length that the strings lasted. If anything, I thought that they died quicker than the LoRiders I had on before. I wasn't sold on the tone either, and I switched back to the LoRiders.

One note on the BBs. When I first was stringing them, the coating on the E slipped right off of the string. I emailed DR, let them know about it, and they sent me a complete new set gratis. Very cool of them.

9. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I just ordered a set to try out. It sounds promising, though the Bootzillas may be better for the tone I want.

10. Rainbow strings...One red, One Yellow, One Green, and One Blue...(for 5ers and sixers throw in Orange and Purple)...COOL!

11. My DR Black Beauties died quickly on my wishbass. They are a brightish sounding string, so I doubt you would like them over your LoRiders. I am about to put some D'Ad Nickel XL's on my wishbass...when I do, I'll report.

12. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I like bright strings, used D'Addario prisms for years, then rotos,
    which I both really liked. Rotos sounded better, Prisms last longer.

Now got a set of those, they sound, well ahem, coated :D
    It is not a bad sound, but not really what I was looking for
    which would be a really bright "alive" sound.

If they now die fast too, I ll be really pissed :D

And if you happen to be a mister sweatyhand like me, they stick
    to your fingers a bit too :D

13. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    thanks for the replies. i called DR on monday and talked with someone there about them for a while too. i think im going to give them a shot on a few different basses. i'll report back once i've tried them out.

btw, i'll be ordering them from http://www.highnotemusic.com

-ugo

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have been really curious about these as well... I like DR's quite a bit, but the coated strings may be very different from the Lo-riders. If they came in green I would have to try them! I wish there was a way to magically change my strings from thumpy and smooth to bright and growly by turning a knob or something. Unlike some TB'ers I can't afford two of each bass jsut to put different strings on, HAHA! :p

15. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    from what i've gathered, they would be pretty different from lo-riders because the coated DR's are actually hi-beams. (which is great for me, but no so great for lo-rider users.) the bootzillas on the other hand are supposed to be a totally different string, made with a different type of steel than the other DR's.

i guess that would be one of the benifits of the new line 6 bass. (though i havent tried one yet.)

-ugo

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    black strings would look cool on my black/black/maple sterling.... i have regular DR lo riders on there now.

17. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    well, i got the strings in and put them on my three 5 string basses....

tone:
    these are coated hi-beams, and you can hear it and feel it. a good thing since im such a fan of hi-beams. however, they dont sound like brand new hi-beams, but rather like a set thats just started to break in. you know...that point where they've lost most of their brand new sizzle/zing but still sound and feel like new strings. if they can stay like this for a long time, i'll be a happy man. my hands eat new strings pretty quickly so i should know before too long if the coating is working for me or not. im also very happy to report that these strings thankfully have that wonderfull, defined, solid DR low B tone that i love so much.

feel:
    the tension feels just like hi-beams, but they are just a little bit slicker. not much, but just a tad. i think they squeek a bit less too.

setup:
    these strings required a little additional intonation tweaking, even though the basses had normal hi-beams on them before. also, the G on one set did a surprisingly large amount of stretching when i first put it on. although on that bass i do tune the G to an A, it was still an excessive amount of stretching for a DR. however, it seems to have settled in and this didnt happen with the other sets.

look:
    damn, are these ever cool looking.

red devils- the color is actually a very dark, metallic, blood red. i've got them on a cherry sunburts stingray with a maple fingerboard.

black beauties: its a good, deep black color and somewhere between a metallic shine and a matte finish. so a little shine, but not a whole lot. i've got these strings on a redwood topped peavey cirrus fretless with a pau ferro fingerboard.

i got an extra 4 string set of black beauties which will go on my Tune 8 string (koa top, ebony board) once i get the GHS octave strings in. (since DR doesnt sell an 8 string set.)

peacock blue: yowzah, what a color!. peacock blue is a very good description of the color. these strings have an extremely high metallic shine, and with that intense blue, it looks like these strings are litterally electrified. this set is on a blue-green sunburst Tune with an ebony fingerboard and they look absolutely fantastic on this bass.

by the way, these strings were purchased from highnotemusic.com. excellent service and great prices. ($7 less per pack than juststrings.com)

if anyone is interested in seeing pics, i can post some as soon as my roomate finds the usb cable for his digital camera.

-ugo

18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just tried out a set of Black Beauties and I liked their feel and tone but I didn't notice any longer life as compared to Hi-Beams. I know what you mean about the "almost new" tone to them too. They aren't quite as zingy as new Hi-Beams. (A little tweak of the tweeter level on my cabinet cured that though). Also, if you use a pick, the coating quite obviously flakes off, ruining their otherwise perfect appearance. It was well worth it to know about them but it's back to Hi-Beams for me. One question though: Are the Peacock Blues also coated versions of the Hi-Beams, or did they use different models for different colors?

19. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    hmmm....thats too bad. kind of negates the whole point of a coated string if they dont last longer. i'll report back on how they do for me after i've tried them for a while.

im a finger player, but i slap a lot. i'll also use my fingernails from time to time. i guess that will be another test of the strings...to see how long it takes before they start to flake, even without a pick.

if these dont do any better for me over time, then its back to regular hi-beams for me too. they look cool, but i dont see any need to pay extra just for a funky color.

they are all just different color coated hi-beams.

-ugo

20. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Are these the same scale length as the Hi-Beams? Thinking of putting them onto my Lakie 55-94 through the body, and the Hi-Beams just BARELY fit onto the nut.