Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by simpy1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I've read opinions of TB members about these strings - they're all positive, but no one has mentioned slapping. Would these strings sound ok for slap bass or does the coating dull them a bit? I'm after a nice bright string that will last a while. Thanks!

2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I find them to sound a bit dull out of the box, but they last a long time and they look bad ass! The color will wear off easily
    I'm sad to say...

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    They sounded bright to me...I have black beauties on my BC Rich Virgin, and I had Red Devils on my BC Rich Mockingbird before I sold it.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I just put a set on my main axe, and they sound great. Slap tone and all.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I slap on mine...fat, punchy tone on the thump, bright and punchy on the pops...go for it man

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm thinking of putting these strings on my Carvin LB75 Fretless. Anybody use them on a fretless with good results?

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have the Black Beauties, but I have the Peacock Blue, and they seem to have a good slap tone. I think the uncoated Hi-Beams or Fat-Beams are a but punchier and brighter, however.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I have. I enjoy the tone they give me on my fretless. But, be careful. These are roundwounds, and if you don't have an ebony or epoxied fretboard, they will mar the fretboard.

9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I've got Elixers on my 5 string fretless. Coated strings are great for fretless...... easier on the fretboard. I'm tempted to get some of the green ones for my fretless (it's green). I'm worried that might be a little gay though...........(not that there's any thing wrong with that).

10. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I love 'em for slap...feel good, tight response (not sluggish), surprsingly bright...

try em

11. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I have the Red Devils on my Fernandes fretless...which wasn't always fretless, but they don't seem to do a lot of damage.

Hey, Jaco used roundwounds on a fretless, so it can't be that bad, eh? :D

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yes, but he also had an epoxy-finished fretboard.....:smug:

I plan on using these strings when I make my black/black/maple fretless SX. Can't wait!

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I have an ebony fingerboard on my carvin lb75F. If used nothing but nickle roundwounds on this bass for as long as I've owned it new from the factory. I still have some small sting markings on my fretboard.

14. I have had a set of Black's on my JO5 since July 05. For slap they are about gone. For finger style they are perfect. I'm stuck right now between replacing them or letting them stay on. I've got a Fender MIA Jazz Dlx V with TI SA's that's ok. I won't spend the dough on the SA's again. Good sound just not my thing. I also have a USA Peavey Millenium that I strung with Elixir's. Only have two gigs with this setup and so far I like. I still always come back to the DR's. I've been wanting to try the Bootzies but based on other threads I think I'll stick with BB's.

15. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I might have to get me one of those once I find out what the hell it is. I've just got this bass where the guy hammered the frets out and filled 'em with...uh...filler.

16. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    So, what scale are the 5 string sets of these? Will they fit on my 35" scale bass?

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yes they will.
    They fit my 35" scale Schecter just fine.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm thinking about putting a set of these on my MTD Beast.