1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DR Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smtnfi, Apr 1, 2013.

1. smtnfi

smtnfi

Mar 29, 2013
    are they worth it? I was thinking 50-110 gauge for my fretless.

2. I played them for about a year. My experience is they didn't last long tone-wise. I had to buy a new set every 1-2 months. But then I played out 4+ times a month and I play with a pick. I also like a bright tone. YMMV.

They did look nice and were easier on my fingers than the Ernie Ball steels I had been playing.

I finally left them and went to nickel wounds. Much cheaper and still easy on the fingers.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you like coated strings? If you do then you'll probably like these. I've disliked these and every other coated string I've tried. But I do like DR strings in general.

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have them and Silver Stars on my basses. I lIke them alot. Great tone, looks awesome. Wear on BB's, no wear on SS's yet.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i tried'em on 3 basses and didnt like the tone at all. they completely lacked volume and had a rubbery tone to them. i also didnt like the feel either. tacky and doing slides felt like i was giving myself ropeburn. i do like hibeams though and have them on most of my basses.

6. TaoJones

TaoJones

Jan 30, 2013
    My experience has been different, just to give another perspective. I went to a coated string on my P-Bass Plus specifically to avoid the sticky feel and finger noise of rounds (plus they look great on a red w/white pg bass) and the BB's have delivered that for me.

YMMV of course, and there are plenty of slide passages that I have trouble with anyway, most notably "The Voice" by Alan Parson's Project (and that's on the G string), but I put that down to technique problems - the strings don't seem to be holding me back.

I see that you like a bright tone and so do I, but to my taste the BB's need a few weeks of seasoning before they hit that sweet tone spot I love. But once they're there, they seem to stay there for a long time (I've only had to change sets three times in three years with about 10 hours of playtime per week).

The coating will indeed wear off at the common fret positions over time. And I wholeheartedly agree on Hi-Beams, which I keep on my OLP MM. On top of the outstanding tone, there's such a great feel to those strings. It's like driving a great car - there's so much tactile "feedback" (if I can use that term) that I find my plucking dynamics are much more precise. I wish the BB's had the same tensile attributes as the HB's - they'd be perfect.

Oh, and to the OP - I use 45-110's with no issues.

7. Can't speak on BB's for a fretless.

I like them on a 5-string SR-505. Bonus: they compliment the appearance (natural body w/black hardware).

B-string sounds nice; overall tone is acceptable. (Tone = Quality of instrument + strings + effects + technique)

Coated strings do effect sliding around. Not for everyone. I've gotten used to it.

Coated strings do nick easily. A black sharpie before every gig comes in handy. ('Course your fretting fingers will get a bit discolored!)

Playing these strings for 6-months now and they still sound good. Will keep the strings on until they they go really flat (I'm cheap!)

8. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    I had a set on my 5-string years ago. Before them, I used Elixir coated strings and compared to those, the DR BB strings had a closer feel to regular round wounds. They always retained their sound when I had them on, but back then, I actually cared how my bass looked and ditched them as soon as the coating started to wear out.

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    trust me, i'm not hating on BB's at all, they just didnt work for me. as far as brighter tone goes, i actually like hibeams when they REALLY well worn and settled in. i have a 2+ year old set on my 5-string schecter, a 1+ year old set on my fender p-j and a...wait for it....4+ year old set on my '08 fender p.

10. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Underneath the coating are they essentially Sunbeams, hi beams, lo riders, or something else?
    Anyone know?

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Black Beauties (as well as all ExtraLife and Neon) are coated Sunbeams.

Dragon Skins are coated Hi Beams.

12. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks!

13. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Looking into getting a set of these for my Warwick Streamer Stage I, they are fairly priced on eBay! anyone had any Warwick experience with these string's?

14. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I like Dragonskins more on my fretless. The colored coated DR strings don't work well for slides on fretless. Feel is plasticky. Tone is good though.

15. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I've just pulled the trigger on a 5-string set for my Warwick, gauge 45-125, they are coming from USA on eBay, so once they are here and on the bass I'll let you know how I get on with them :)

16. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I found what I figured were the older style BB's 45-125 at MF for about $30 bucks. Less than any other onlines I shopped. From the limited description I thought I would be getting the older style regular BB's based on the price and packaging. Fine, I've bought a couple of those sets and they worked out for me.

When they arrived a few days later, it was the Ext Life BB's set that I'd seen at higher prices. Not sure if MF messed up on their ad or what they shipped. Maybe they had not updated their ad or were out of the original BB's I ordered before. Maybe they were just doing me a 'solid' and sent me the newer model strings.

I mainly bought these to put on a BLK/WHT Brubaker Brute I just bought from a TBer. The Brute was modded with blk bridge and tuners. Its now my Tuxedo bass. I do have to say after mostly playing my '08 Am St P5 w/tapes; these BB's dont feel as nice at all. But this bass will get light use, so I can live with it.

17. I tried these a couple of times. The 1st time they were slightly broken in from use...felt ok..sounded just ok. Put a new set on that lasted 2 weeks. They were sticky and caused what I would compare to run burns. Im average at best so wasnt playing anything fast..just simple progressions..they sounded good but couldnt get over my fingers hurting. Ive talked to others with a similar experience but ymmv

18. Stupid question here, but I suppose a black beauty would be the same exact tension as a sunbeam in a matching gauge? Would the coating or any other process done to the BB's change tension at all?

19. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    DR catalog says Dragonskins are over a round core like BBs so that sounds like sunbeams to me

20. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana
    Hi beams are round core too.