Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR blue, red, black or stay with Low Riders?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassist30, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have not tried DR peacock Blues, Reds or black strings. But I love the Low Riders. But they can get expensive when you change strings often. Has anyone switch from low riders to one of these strings? Do they sound as bright? Do they last 3x's more as they say? In general don't these coated strings deadin' the the sound in some way?

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    For an extended test of DR Black Beauties, read jimbob's thread at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199390 . The reds and blues are the same, only the pigment is different.

I've been using Lo Riders for a long time too, and after trying a set of BB's I can't see myself changing. They're good, no doubt about it, but being used to LRs they feel a little too limber to me, and their midrange seems to eq differently. Pricewise, the BB's should be a good deal if you play, say, genteel lounge music - they'll surely last you years then, and still sound pretty fresh. But if you mainly just need to tear it up a lot, I estimate they won't really last any longer than LRs (which do last, he hastened to add).

3. Why not go for the Bootzillas? They are the coated version of Lo-Riders. The others are coated Hi-Beams.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    They're not colored, though. Bootzillas are just coated.

The Hi-Beams will EQ different and have only a slightly different mid range because of the hex vs. round core. They are also engineered to be slightly more flexible whereas Lo Riders were designed to be stiff.

It's easier to dial in useable treble than to dial it out. Brand new Hi-Beams are usually too bright for me. I have to turn any EQ I have available to -15dB to get rid of the excess and make it fit in the mix. For solo work, though, it's great. I'm doing the Elixir string test currently but I plan on getting some Red Devils when I'm done with it.

I love DR.

-Eric.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Try the Hi-Beams. But recently I switched to DM Blue Steels.

6. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I stand by DR< some great strings, very high life. COlored strings are funny becase the colors starts coming off in places y ou play, it's intresting to see.

So far i've had great things to say about DR, e-mailed them yesterday because i bought a pack and my A string waslight red and almost pink, hope its not a bad string.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Thanks I did not know Bootzillas were coated low-riders will have to try. I use regular low-riders now.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like plain stainless lo riders

10. Bump

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I put BB's on my SR-506 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I simply love their tone even though they're coated. I may have finally found a set of strings I like for this particular bass. :)

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I used the Lo-Riders, Black Beauties, and Peacock Blues. I didn't like the Black Beauts, Lo-Riders I liked, I Love the Peacock Blues however. I know the colors are supposed to have nothing to do with the sound but I have heard people say the Blues and the Red Devils sound better than the blacks. From my experience .... they do!