Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR Bootzilla's and Short Scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Hey everyone....

Im just looking for strings to fit my kubicki 32" and 36" and i found out that DR make their strings to fit 37" and im keen to try the bootzilla's (45-105 or 50-110) and i think i read somewhere that on shorter scales basses you should use lighter guage...but i want to try the 50-110 (On my old atk i used 50-105)

Any Advice?

Cheers heath

http://www.drstrings.com/bootzilla.htm

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Let's face it, most short scales are crappy basses with weak necks. Therefore people tell you to use light strings to compensate. I have used GHS short scale Boomers (.050 .070 .090 .107) with no problems on my Fender Musicmaster. If my Musicmaster can handle .107, your Kubicki should handle .110!

I find that short scale basses *need* a thick E string or the string sounds weak.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    P.S. If you do get the Bootzilla's, please post a review! I would love to hear how they play.

4. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    As someone who actually HAS a Kubicki, I found that DR's didn't work for me - the ones I had were tapered down at the ball end, and with the nut position, I couldn't really use them. For me, the best strings I have found to be, believe it or not, Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    From what I know

With shorter scale, the strings will actually need to be heavier to keep the same tension.

My 30" Kramer's strings are definitely looser than my 34" Warwick. Both are strung D'Adarrio Xl Lights (45-100).

6. yeah the bootzilla's are the first set of strings that ive found are that wounding (50-110) i love a really deep sound when slapping and IMO the 45wound were too Snappy with no Lows and i tried 50wound and that sounded the best of both worlds IMO...also i used to break the 45's to easily when i really dig in....but another thing? can you boil the clear coated strings?

Another reason i wanna try em cos they're bootsys...and im a rubber funkateer...lol...