1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr. Cheese's Tax Time Formula for Newbies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Say you have a $1,500 return this year and you want to get into bass. I say look to spend $600 on a 250-400w combo. It will be loud enough to serve you once you can actually gig. Spend $300-500 on a bass. You might spend even less, but for $400, you can be sure you will have a solid instrument that can stay in tune with good tone and the ability to take a good set up. Take the rest of your money and sign up for lessons no less than four months. Your progress will be much, much faster with a qualified teacher.

2. Or buy a $5K setup and go in debt :D

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nice your Cheese-ness!

Good advice.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do as I say, not as I do!:D

5. I nominate for Stickie status!

6. ....but what if someone's return is $4K ?

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'd get a nice Markbass combo for $800, spend up to $1K on a bass, and set aside $800 for lessons. Save the rest!

Seriously, we all know one can burn through $4K and not be satisfied, so why set up some sort of magical expectation for gear that it will
    never match?

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Great post.

Find a band at the same time as starting lessons. I have had several adult friends ask me about starting to play the bass or guitar, and I always make a point to say don't let lessons become a crutch. Don't wait until you are good enough to be in a band--let the band be much of your training.

I suggest:
    Squier P or J bass, SUB Sterling Bass $280
    GK MB 200 head $260
    Acoustic B410 cab $299

$839 total. This setup would be good for many years of practice and gigging.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    or you could drink alcohol until the desire to play bass wears off,... then spend what's left on a trip to Maui!!!;)

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that encouraging a new player to join a band early is a great idea. It is crucial for a player to know that performance is not just for virtuosos.

11. you can get a gk rig here on the tb classifieds for 600 bucks. 700rbII and a 410 cab.. now thats a good use of your money.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    great advice Doctor!

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    "I'd get a nice Markbass combo for $800, spend up to $1K on a bass, and set aside $800 for lessons. [DEL]Save the rest![/DEL]"

Send the rest to Dr Cheese for his excellent advice.

(@ Dr Cheese: Please pm me for my comission rates :bag: )

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    THIS

Add hookers and blow.

:D

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the main thing is to stress lessons and getting involved in
    playing. There is nothing wrong with loving gear, but it is key to start your hobby with a healthy perspective.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Better yet just buy an economy bass and get some instruction ASAP. So where life takes you from yhere

17. lang3735

lang3735

Mar 13, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    I agree. Make this a sticky thread.

18. tank73

tank73

May 20, 2008
    Great advice and wish I would have listened to similar advice several years ago. Would have saved a lot of money and avoided some bad habits.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I disagree about getting an economy or cheapest bass. Marcus Miller started off on a Jazz, and when he got good, he was already at home on a fine instrument. I say start on a really nice bass and invest in instruction, then see where life takes you!

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    My first bass was a used Peavey T 40. Cheap but a solid bass. Think I paid $225 That was a long time ago. You can get a solid bass, especially used, for very little cash