Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR/D'addario coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Does DR Extras or D'addario EXP's work with string thru bridges?

Is it true that they reduce string noise?

Regards :bassist:

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I don't know about string noise, but if you get the right length, you have nothing to worry about for the way it is strung.

3. I hate this strings, they do NOT last longer.
    (Compared with Elixirs)

4. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    I wanted to try some DR Black Beauties on my MIA Fretless -

They are rated with good high end tone quality from Bass Players strings issue

Anyone have any pros or cons, or experience using these? :ninja:

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I am currently trying them. I have used Elixirs for a while now. I think the DRs sound just as good, feel slightly better, but don't know how long they will last.

My last set of Elixir's went over a year...

6. Are the black beautys more like nanoweb or polywebs?] :confused:

I like DR strings but they just dont last nearly as long as Elixers. I use nanos.

The black Beautys are hopefully my ultimate string. :cool:

7. The only DR strings I can stand are the new coated, colored ones. Those can last for about 3 weeks for me, which is pretty incredible. As they die, they also have a nice, warm tone, which was cool.

And then I just pick up a nice set of Elixir Nanowebs, and those last about 6 months. :)

Any other set of strings will usually loose its sparkle within a week. I love that metallic brightness of new strings -- especially Elixirs.

8. I have terribly acidic hands, even wiping down my bass every time I play. Elixers last me less than 3 months. Normal strings usually top out a month. It's scary.