Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Jun 22, 2004.

1. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I've got a Duncan Hot P that makes racket and I've never dipped pups before so I thought what the hell. So I read some about it online. One artist mentioned actually dipping pups in epoxy. He said it helped some. I've done a number of things to no avail to shut these pups up. After reading that did I think dipping them in wax would make any difference - no. But I didn't know that so I fired up the kettle. Time consuming but no major ordeal and no travesties.

Just finished their last dip and I haven't even cleaned them off yet so no results to report at the moment. Haven't seen squat on TB about doing it but no doubt many of you have so out of curiosity was wondering if anybody's had any luck with it?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Installed the pup and fired it and there's no change I can tell. So it goes.

Update 4/9/05: the pups are long gone but I should add that after I pulled them, the next time they were reinstalled there was no hum. And that had never occurred in probably at least a half dozen different installs or better over the time I had these pups. Pup dip is only supposed to be good for microphonics so take it for what it's worth.

I also ran across a piece that stated that pups should be dipped for 8 hours to get maximum penetration. That wasn't in the instructions I had and not how I did it - it's also not practical for lots of reasons - one being the temperature of the wax has to be maintained fairly constant.

Update 5/19/05

Recent thread sent me on a search for that link I used to dip the pups. I should have wished I'd posted it cuase I can't find it now. It was a photo tutorial with enough direction to fill in the blanks but the pics were pretty complete. Too bad cuase I liked to better than the others. Anyway, here are some other links I found in the process. The stewmac. one is Frailins sphiele on dipping.

I really did a pretty useless and cursory job on this thread but it didn't seem worthy of much else at the time. I'd have done it right if I had it to do again.