1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dr (doctor) bass 3080 review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rpsands, Apr 12, 2009.

1. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey folks. As promised here's my review of the Drb 3080 that I ordered. The cab's specs can be found at Dr. Bass's site, and here's a pic:

[​IMG]

This cab has a 900w crossover @ 1200hz and 5000hz I believe, and runs two Kappalite 3015LFs and a sealed back eminence 8" midrange (custom OEM driver for Drb, similar to the 6.5" sealed back mid that is out there), and a selenium soft dome titanium tweeter (or something like that, I am not sure to be honest).

The cab is 37" tall by 23" wide by 17.5" deep and seems to weigh around 70lbs. It has a kick plate and a tilt back handle.

Mesa 400+

I demo'd it briefly when I received it last night with my Mesa 400+. To be perfectly honest I had a really hard time getting a usable tone I was happy with, after playing the Schroeder for so long (with the high mids basically scooped out by the cab design).

The 8" OEM mid and the tweeter seem very balanced, and overall I feel like the cab is pretty even all the way across. It took me some time to find the right slight scoop and bass boost to make me happy with the tone and yet still cut through -- I wound up with bass @ 4 pulled out, mids at 7.5 and treble at 2. I wound up cutting one from the mid on the cab, and adding one to the horn, for whatever that's worth.

I think I will set everything back to flat next time I fool with the Mesa 400+ and try using the graphic instead to see if I can get better results. The tone I found sounds really nice and fat, yet has a good amount of mid presence that pleased me.

And of course, after an hour or so playing I cranked it up to 7 master and 7 input and it almost exploded my eardrums. It is really damn loud and the C#/D are thunderous. The B is a little floppy (maybe imprecise?), but I attribute that to the wattage constraints of the Mesa -- every cab I've used it with, the B/C have been a little muddy.

I will see if I can't post some sound clips at full volume flat on the Mesa as a point of reference, sometime soon. Not sure the Zoom H2 will be an accurate representation there though.

Neopak

The Neopak opened this thing up. I have no idea why that is, but the Genz tone + this cab was sonic bliss for me. I boosted low mids two clicks and clicked the mid scoop button, and I was off to the races. Dayum, even.

I had it turned up pretty loud, but no output clipping at all - maybe noon on the input, master and gain, and the passive input setting (for my 9v bass).

It was loud enough to get over very loud drums and a B52 halfstack no problem, and sounded absolutely stellar.

I'll post a clip or two here as well and see if it demonstrates what I'm talking about. There were just enough mids to chop through, lots of low mids, lots of bass, lots of treble, just lots :p

The Neopak's performance basically convinced me I need to break down and get the GBE1200 for this bad boy, instead of the Mesa. This cab screams for tons of solid state watts and the Genz is just an excellent mate for it.

Portability

The audition locale was up a narrow flight of stairs with a dirt and rock parking lot. I had no trouble getting it out of the back of the wagon, rolling it on the dolly wheels through the dirt, and carrying it myself up the stairs. It is a big bastard and slightly awkward, and about the limit of what I want to carry -- again I'd estimate it is closer to 70lbs than the 63 quoted, but I could be wrong and will need to plop it on a scale.

Overall

It does its job, is crazy loud, very flexible, easy to move around, and pretty sturdy. The white 16 gauge grill is awesome, and does not require any bumpers in the center to keep from rattling, so it's a breeze to remove or add.

It got to me in great shape, excepting a couple of corners that are cracked. Pretty shocking given how huge the cab is and the rough treatment it clearly received from Fedex (the box was beat to crap). It was wrapped in many layers of plastic wrap, and protected very well.

Bottom line, I am super glad I went with Dr. Bass on this. I think I could have made it a little more perfectly even by going with a separate mid box and a slightly bigger cab, but if this were any bigger I would not have been able to move it by myself with ease, and I can. Just the right size for me. Overall I think the tradeoff between big/heavy was pretty solid in this cab.

The vertical alignment makes it super easy for me to hear, which is a problem I have had with every other cab I've had -- the room sounds fine but I can't hear worth a crap.

2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Very cool. Sounds like it will be a real tone monster with the GBE1200. 1000W at 4 ohms should give you lots of clean punch with headroom. Good stuff. :bassist:

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I was checking this out on the Doctor's website just last night, rpsands. Looks very impressive... :eek:

Please tell me: How much time elapsed between the day you placed the order and the day you took delivery? And would you mind posting a photo with the grill taken off? Just so we can see where the mid-range driver is positioned on the baffle, relative to the other speakers?

Thanks,

MM

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The midrange is on the right side in the middle with the tweeter on the right on the top

Around 2.5 months. I ordered Jan 20 and got it Apr 10. Bear in mind that they accidentally built it to the CS215 specs originally and had to rebuild it in that process as well.

Not sure if it helps, but based on my math the cab should be capable of 122db @ maxspl from 1200 to 5000hz, and 129db (-3db) from 47hz to 1200hz, -10db at 34hz. I'm not sure on the horn, but the horn isn't really intended to snarl on the top end, just there to sparkle and give some clicky-clacks if you need'em - it can do that just fine.

Overall, it feels pretty even to me, even though I know the midrange is 3-6db less sensitive than the woofers. At very loud volumes, the mids are still more than enough for my tastes even with the mid driver attenuated slightly.

After playing with it a while longer I'd say this covers the spectrum of what I like -- going from extremely beefy reggae type sounds to fairly modern sounds. It's not going to sound like a sealed 410 with a foster horn but I'd rather eat drywall screws anyway :)

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Awesome cab. I'd like to bridge my BX1200 into that bad boy.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I am getting really tempted to pick up a Bx1200 used for just that purpose:p I normally shy away from carvin but man. that's a lotta watts:)

Kinda waffling between a lot of different big solid state monsters atm. I really like the Fender 800 pro, and the Gbe 1200, and the Swr Sm900 and 750x, man. I'm easy to please with amps, mainly. Also toyed with going back to a 1001 RB II.

The Bx1200 though, does it really weigh like 23lbs? :p That's a huge selling point for me over the B1500.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The rackmount version of the head is 23 pounds, the "head" version is around 30-something.
    It's not light but it's a killer head with plenty of different tones, feature and power.
    Since your cab is a standalone cab, the B1500 might be a better head for you though.
    Honestly I would get a brand new one so you could send it back if you don't like it.
    I'm sure that GB1200 will sound great also but it ain't cheap!

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Could you post a pic of the back of the cab? I'd like to see the handles/kickplate/wheels etc.

Thanks!

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will see what I can do :)

There's one center handle in the top of the back, kickplate is a big diamond steel thing on the bottom.

Skidrails haven't been added yet (they're on backorder and I can install them myself when he sends them out). Marc shipped me out a few new corners to replace the broken ones today!